• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Will Bring “One of their Bigger Games” To Nintendo Switch

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
How is it "underpowered"? You have the final specs?

I said relatively underpowered, as in it won't be as powerful as the PS4 or XB1. Based on the leaked specs (and common sense), you are going to be disappointed if you expect otherwise.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
giphy.gif

Haha welp!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
A real Fifa, with Wii U touchscreen features. I spent more than 100 seasons online, I adored the balance of this Fifa version with its low off screen latency, drawing my own runs, the additional touch passing option, very usefull for goal kicks.

A real Fifa in my bed. In the train. In the toilets at work. At lunch break. In the train. On TV. In my bed.

Do it EA.
Do it because you like your game so much, you want to play it anytime, just like me.

El Topo

BioWare if you are reading this I made a 3(?) month avatar bet that Andromeda is not coming to the Switch. EA better not be talking about Andromeda here.

Dabanton

Every Nintendo console they do this dance. EA releases a game it sells awfully and then they quietly cease making anymore.

Forget about PvZ GW2, it's an online only game. Game would be basically unplayable on portable mode. This is something other than PvZ.

It has plenty of single player content. EA can easily turn off mandatory internet connection for the Switch version, like Blizzard did with Diablo 3 on consoles.

Also, there's going to be plenty of online stuff in general on the Switch if you were referring to needing online for multiplayer. What do you think Switch Splatoon is going to be like on portable mode?

Which goes against what noted insiders on this very forum have stated. The Switch is capable of running any game that the Xbox One and PS4 can run.

For the rumoured specs and rumoured price it's not going to run them very well. You're looking at a significant downgrade performance wise. It's going to be around as powerful as the Wii U, if not a little better, from what I understand. Then again, I'm still running on launch rumours because I'm just really not interested enough to keep up with the Switch information.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I'm going with this being about Madden or FIFA, and to a lesser extent the other sports titles. We briefly saw an NBA title in the Swtich reveal.

Schlorgan

Game still requires an internet connection for all modes. Kinda like Overwatch.

Edit: beaten

It has plenty of single player content. EA can easily turn off mandatory internet connection for the Switch version, like Blizzard did with Diablo 3 on consoles.

Also, there's going to be plenty of online stuff in general on the Switch if you were referring to needing online for multiplayer. What do you think Switch Splatoon is going to be like on portable mode?

Malakai

I said relatively underpowered, as in it won't be as powerful as the PS4 or XB1. Based on the leaked specs (and common sense), you are going to be disappointed if you expect otherwise.

Your usage of "relatively" isn't the point. You wrote that it wouldn't be able to run the games at all.

Malakai

For the rumoured specs and rumoured price it's not going to run them very well. You're looking at a significant downgrade performance wise. It's going to be around as powerful as the Wii U, if not a little better, from what I understand. Then again, I'm still running on launch rumours because I'm just really not interested enough to keep up with the Switch information.

What rumored specs for final retail unit or the rumored specs of the early development kits? Dev kits don't equal final retail specs. Not interested enough to keep up information but can outright dismiss information to the contrary of your worldview.

18-Volt

It's a one year old game, I don't think EA would go through all the editing, making it offline and stuff. Mass Efefct 3 showed that one year old ports fail. If it's really PvZ, it should be a new game, GW3 instead of a late port.

I still don't think this is GW, though.

Madden and Fifa on Vita were good console ports.... nobody bought them..
I'd put that down to the majority of Vita sales being in Japan. Japanese people don't care much for American football and prefer Pro Evo over FIFA.

Also, how many Vitas are out in the wild? I'm pretty sure Gamecube outsold the Vita. Not a system to base any future projections on imo.

What rumored specs for final retail unit or the rumored specs of the early development kits? Dev kits don't equal final retail specs. Not interested enough to keep up information but can outright dismiss information to the contrary of your worldview.

It's a Tegra inside it. And it's not the X2, not if they're looking at it being as affordable as the recent rumours are. So you're looking at something between the X1 and X2. And the X1 has worse performance than the Wii U, so really, we're looking at a portable Wii U. Which to be fair, is better than it should be if we consider the pattern of handhelds being roughly a generation and a half behind home consoles.

Has nothing to do with dismissing information outright. I'm not a Nintendo gamer, their games aren't for me. Doesn't mean I'm hating on it for hating sake. I just haven't kept up with information because right now I'm not planning on buying it any time near launch based on what they revealed. However, during the reveal I did my fair share of looking into what we can expect of the machine since I'm probably going to get one when Monster Hunter 5 gets released (assuming the rumours of Capcom branching out to other consoles are unfounded).

It's a one year old game, I don't think EA would go through all the editing, making it offline and stuff. Mass Efefct 3 showed that one year old ports fail. If it's really PvZ, it should be a new game, GW3 instead of a late port.

I still don't think this is GW, though.

But aren't most of the games shown in the reveal all just Wii U ports / Switch remakes? I know they're not supposed to be fully representative of what to expect, but the Splatoon game is supposed to be regular Splatoon redone for Switch, as well as Mario Kart. And then there's Skyrim etc. You can fully expect a lot of launch games to be ports. Especially third party wise because it's something easy to bash out for launch.

Andromeda Switch launch title?

They still haven't announced a launch date for Andromeda despite it supposedly coming in "spring 2017". Could they be waiting for Nintendo to announce the Switch date and launch day 1?

To be serious, I doubt this is the case, but it would be cool, even though ill probably get Andromeda on PS4

It's a Tegra inside it. And it's not the X2, not if they're looking at it being as affordable as the recent rumours are. So you're looking at something between the X1 and X2. And the X1 has worse performance than the Wii U, so really, we're looking at a portable Wii U. Which to be fair, is better than it should be if we consider the pattern of handhelds being roughly a generation and a half behind home consoles.

Has nothing to do with dismissing information outright. I'm not a Nintendo gamer, their games aren't for me. Doesn't mean I'm hating on it for hating sake. I just haven't kept up with information because right now I'm not planning on buying it any time near launch based on what they revealed. However, during the reveal I did my fair share of looking into what we can expect of the machine since I'm probably going to get one when Monster Hunter 5 gets released (assuming the rumours of Capcom branching out to other consoles are unfounded).

Yikes, that first paragraph is full of misinformation...

Firstly, X2 isn't a thing. It's called Parker, and it's exclusively used in self driving cars. The Switch uses a custom SoC as confirmed by Nvidia, and insiders have indicated that it uses Pascal microarchitecture, which means a 16nm process.

Second, a stock TX1 is much, much more powerful than the Wii U. The GPU runs at 512GFlops while the Wii U's is 178, and this doesn't account for the much more modern tools and architecture which put its real world performance at a minimum of likely 3x more powerful than the Wii U.

Considering that the final product will likely be Pascal (and have 60% lower power consumption than the TX1) it is very reasonable to expect the Switch to run at 512GFlops on battery, and potentially more (768 possibly) in docked mode.

None of this accounts for the CPU which is VASTLY improved over the Wii U. The CPU cores are also likely more powerful than the PS4/XB1 CPU cores (core for core anyway). Either way, the CPU was an enormous bottleneck on the Wii U, and should be one of the bigger strengths of the Switch.

Hilarion

I wouldn't be surprised if it were the Star Wars games. Disney has been tight with Nintendo and might want to keep supporting Nintendo platforms, and EA is playing Disney's rules when it comes to Star Wars.

Top Bottom