• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EAD Tokyo - A tale of 2 men. Past, Present, Future.

Mr. Shimizu was the director on Star Fox 64. Perhaps when we talk about resurrecting franchises, he's the one to return that series to its former glory as a producer. Of course, you could have Dylan and the guys at Q to co-develop as well along w/ Yusuke Amano, who worked on the 3D version of SF64. Reading the Iwata Asks for that title, he seems to be of a younger generation and very enthusiastic about the series.

EAD Tokyo 1 already have great experience creating space environment and FUR! :D

See, here is why I will always get a Nintendo handheld system. They put their A teams on it. The guys that made Super Mario Galaxy worked on 3DS games as well. They don't only stick their B teams on handhelds because their A teams are full of guys who would feel disrespected by being forced to work on a handheld title.

People are in here hating on Jungle Beat? Fuck you GAF. :(

It's just Oblivion, I think

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
You guys really think that Jungle Beat is on the same level as the Galaxy games, or even that 3DS game? Really gaf? Really?

People are in here hating on Jungle Beat? Fuck you GAF. :(

I'm not hating on it, I just think it's overrated in the sense it's a 3 hour platformer that runs out of ideas halfway through (it reuses its bosses even more blatantly than DKC1 did), essentially making it an hour and a half long game. I popped it in a couple years ago leading up to Return's release and still had a ton of fun with it, but overall found myself devoting more time and attention to DK'94 and DKC2. I mean compared to the general populace which still looks back on DK64 nostalgicly than I'd definitely agree it's underrated, but in these sort of circles you seemed to get damned for pointing out what I think are pretty big flaws.

I'd still love a sequel where there's more time, resources and motivation behind it beyond 'lets make the bongos worthwhile beyond those DKonga games'
and maybe not feeling quite as much like they used a bunch of rejected Mario designs for enemies

You guys really think that Jungle Beat is on the same level as the Galaxy games, or even that 3DS game? Really gaf? Really?

It's a project of a different scope to the Galaxy games (or at least, the first), so I'd look at them on different levels. In that context, I certainly wouldn't consider it any lesser.

It's better than 3D Land.

Cipherr

See, here is why I will always get a Nintendo handheld system. They put their A teams on it. The guys that made Super Mario Galaxy worked on 3DS games as well. They don't only stick their B teams on handhelds because their A teams are full of guys who would feel disrespected by being forced to work on a handheld title.

Unfortunately that seems to fly in Japan, but not here. I get the nagging feeling that devs here see Handhelds as a sort of "minor league" only to be used as a stepping stone until they can make it to the "big boys". I think a lot of popular AAA studios would have staff feeling as if they were being punished if they were asked to develop a handheld game.

It's a project of a different scope to the Galaxy games (or at least, the first), so I'd look at them on different levels. In that context, I certainly wouldn't consider it any lesser.

Yeah, that's a better way at looking at it. I mean, didn't it only have a year or so of development time? Since the bongos came out around 2003, the project started as a way of thinking up of a non-music game way of using them after Konga came out and Jungle Beat came out by mid/late 2004?

RedSwirl

EAD Tokyo seriously needs to do a Star Fox. According to Wiki, EAD Team 1's manager - Shimizu, directed SF64.

Edit: and fuck people hating on Jungle Beat. Excellent platformer and excellent use of a peripheral controller. I remember when Nintendo was first teasing what they were gonna do with the "Revolution controller", and I thought Jungle Beat represented the perfect example of the kind of experience that should be made on it - games that feel well designed around more intuitive and more tactile interfaces.

Unfortunately that seems to fly in Japan, but not here. I get the nagging feeling that devs here see Handhelds as a sort of "minor league" only to be used as a stepping stone until they can make it to the "big boys". I think a lot of popular AAA studios would have staff feeling as if they were being punished if they were asked to develop a handheld game.

It's not a nagging feeling, it's the truth. It's a real shame, too.

Anth0ny

Jungle Beat is really fun, but I don't like how they make you collect a certain amount of crests to advance through the game. I still haven't finished it because I didn't have enough to access the final level, and I didn't feel like playing through all the stages again.

3D Land is guilty of this too >_>

Regardless, both great games. Definitely not Galaxy tier, though. That's silly.

EAD Tokyo seriously needs to do a Star Fox. According to Wiki, EAD Team 1's manager - Shimizu, directed SF64.

Edit: and fuck people hating on Jungle Beat. Excellent platformer and excellent use of a peripheral controller. I remember when Nintendo was first teasing what they were gonna do with the "Revolution controller", and I thought Jungle Beat represented the perfect example of the kind of experience that should be made on it - games that feel well designed around more intuitive and more tactile interfaces.

Get EAD Tokyo 1 on the engine design and over all concept and get Treasure to develop some of the classic on-rail levels. Nintendo's collaborations seem to be working out pretty well lately w/ Retro on MK7 and Monolith on SS, so I don't see why this one can't happen.

Vanpira

Jungle Beat is really fun, but I don't like how they make you collect a certain amount of crests to advance through the game. I still haven't finished it because I didn't have enough to access the final level, and I didn't feel like playing through all the stages again.

3D Land is guilty of this too >_>

Regardless, both great games. Definitely not Galaxy tier, though. That's silly.

You're missing a large portion of the game that way. The reason that JB is such a good game is because of how you collect the bananas. The level designs really come out when you see how you can chain most or all of the level's bananas together. If you aren't getting the crests you need to get all the levels, you aren't really playing the game as much as you are just going through the levels.

maeda

I've always felt that DK JB was the best Sonic game we've never gotten. Most levels are designed to be breezed through on high speeds and give the player just a few moments to react and pull another trick in order to avoid touching the ground. I would love to see another platformer designed around the concept of stacking acrobatic combos.

watershed

Banned
Did you guys play jungle beat gamecube version or wii version? Because from what I've seen the wii version doesn't look nearly as fun. I loved the gamecube version, the bongos and clapping made a some really fast and fun game. It was also one of the best looking gamecube games.

Did you guys play jungle beat gamecube version or wii version? Because from what I've seen the wii version doesn't look nearly as fun.

I played both and while the Wii version is a lesser experience, it's still fun. The underlying rhythm to the stages still works, but it loses something without the bongos.

Gamecube version, though I've played a bit of the Wii version and found it a lot duller largely due to the lack of bongo support (though didn't it have some extra content apparently?)

Again my complaints are it's insanely short (probably why I felt bummed out when I got it but go back to it every year or so more easily than the other longer DK games), runs out of ideas pretty quickly and a few nit-picky things they replaced from the DKC games despite being identical from a gameplay wise. Like if you replaced pipes in Mario with treestumps for the hell of it. I still think it's a great game, just flawed and the team's later games were better.

Jungle Beat is friggin' awesome.

I never got tired of the game, always trying to figure out new ways of getting extra bananas and beat my old score from a level.

After that game I was in love with EAD Tokyo, when I heard they were now working on the next Mario game back before Galaxy I was very happy and 100% confident in them.

The rest is wonderful history. :)

I've always felt that DK JB was the best Sonic game we've never gotten. Most levels are designed to be breezed through on high speeds and give the player just a few moments to react and pull another trick in order to avoid touching the ground. I would love to see another platformer designed around the concept of stacking acrobatic combos.

This...this...is something I think I thought to myself way back when I was playing the game. The levels are designed to be speed run basically. They're designed for you to just chain bananas through well timed jumps and claps and...EAD Tokyo designing a Sonic game would be AMAZING. Just take the JB design, put in Sonic moves, speed it up...and I can't even imagine what their take on boss battles would be but it should definitely involve some high speed dodging

This...this...is something I think I thought to myself way back when I was playing the game. The levels are designed to be speed run basically. They're designed for you to just chain bananas through well timed jumps and claps and...EAD Tokyo designing a Sonic game would be AMAZING. Just take the JB design, put in Sonic moves, speed it up...and I can't even imagine what their take on boss battles would be but it should definitely involve some high speed dodging

Who knows? What was that Sonic Dimensions rumor a while back? I believe it claimed EAD were designing some levels.

maeda

Or a sweet 2D Jet Set Radio spin off!

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
EAD Tokyo has been the best developer since 2007 and I don't think it's particularly close.

Why in the world are these guys doing stuff like Flip Note and Ocarina 3D? It's like hiring Stephen Hawking to teach high school math.

AntMurda

Who knows? What was that Sonic Dimensions rumor a while back? I believe it claimed EAD were designing some levels.

It was a weird rumor and all it said was "Nintendo was helping in the development". Really does not mean EAD is helping though. It really doesn't make sense that they would be involved.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Really? Look, I like you and all, but you are insane in the membrane, sir.

Hey, everyone has different onions. It's just nice to banter two-and-fro about them. ;P

For what it's worth I do think it has more glaring faults than the Galaxy games - the bosses are repeated way too frequently (even with slight alterations between them) and the bongo controls, while exhilarating, really hurt after too short a time. Also, it's almost impossible to die, at least in the Gamecube version (which I think they altered in the Wii version, for better or worse - I never did play it) but that doesn't really matter since the real challenge was obtaining high scores and combos.

[Nintex]

EAD Tokyo has been the best developer since 2007 and I don't think it's particularly close.

Why in the world are these guys doing stuff like Flip Note and Ocarina 3D? It's like hiring Stephen Hawking to teach high school math.

So they can pass on their knowledge to others.

Frankly I wouldn't want lesser men keeping an eye on Ocarina 3D.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Hey, everyone has different onions. It's just nice to banter two-and-fro about them. ;P

For what it's worth I do think it has more glaring faults than the Galaxy games - the bosses are repeated way too frequently (even with slight alterations between them) and the bongo controls, while exhilarating, really hurt after too short a time. Also, it's almost impossible to die, at least in the Gamecube version (which I think they altered in the Wii version, for better or worse - I never did play it) but that doesn't really matter since the real challenge was obtaining high scores and combos.

Fair enough, good sir.

Frankly I wouldn't want lesser men keeping an eye on Ocarina 3D.

This. Besides, EAD Tokyo didn't do much on the game anyway.

Top Bottom