• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early designs for video game protagonists

I can also point out more of the females than the males. They are definitely more unique than the male list. (I think those games are just more culturally relevant at the time generally than the games those male faces are from, but that's just my guess) But anyway, I just don't see what makes Snake's design inherently more distinct than most of those other light skinned brown hair guys up there.

It's the mullet I guess.

Edit: I'm not sorry for the double post.

Alastor3

Would have brought the crap out of horizon if she looked like this. Hits that nice sweetspot of cute and confident. I hate the graphical realism focus in games nowadays. The current Alloy design is boring compared to this.

what??? So you didn't bought Horizon because of the way she look in the current game???

tumblr_mm9ecemQ2A1re9fe1o3_1280.jpg
The lower left Dante reminds me of
jim-morrison.jpg
I'm gonna go with...

richard-ramirez-the-night-stalker.jpg

man, a good few of the horizon posts in here are cringe
_____

Anyway, came in to post Shi Kai Wang's Master Chief concept and...

sketch_059.jpg

sketch_057.jpg

17vhmye0fwbqyjpg.jpg

Chief looked comical in early sketches compared to the (glorious) walking tank he is now.

giphy.gif

Masterchief_sheik.png

Easy to guess what this is
Master Chief

Master Chief

Masterchief_sheik.png

Guess I don't have to, lol. While I think the Chief we got was great, I always liked that concept piece.

Metroid Prime's original Samus design seen at Spaceworld was pretty rough. The worst part by far was the stubby arm cannon.

Gz4I1Af.jpg

Thank God that got completely redone.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
That collage of "bland" male characters is so stupid. Individually a ton of those designs are great/unique.

meerak

lol people are so tastless...

"We like generic cute skinny alloy more"

Thanks for ruining popular design for the last 80 years and god knows how long to come, humans.

Now those Bayonnetta sketches!!!!!

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
That collage of "bland" male characters is so stupid. Individually a ton of those designs are great/unique.
If it were a couple one off cases then you'd be right but since they look so similar they all subsequently look bland. That's to say nothing of the full body but again, nothing of value would be last if even a quarter of that image was comprised of varying ethnicities.

Capcpom pushed for something different, not something terrible. In the end NT's design ideas were so lackluster Capcom went with the blandest possible Dante.
I'm not sure that was the reason. They settled on the one that fit the aesthetic of the story.

LordJim

If it were a couple one off cases then you'd be right but since they look so similar they all subsequently look bland.

Disregarding how blind one must be to think most of these look similar, it becomes even stupider when one considers it includes characters you can customize.
A lazy collage overall.

Crossing Eden

Disregarding how blind one must be to think most of these look similar, it becomes even stupider when one considers it includes characters you can customize.
A lazy collage overall.
They're all brooding and/or cocky brunette white men with very very similar facial structures. They certainly aren't an indication of diversity, originality, or good at telling me what I need to know about the character at a glance. They're just there as faces. And don't get me wrong, I like some of those characters. But they definitely represent a prevalent and at this point really bad trope in the industry. Like, I couldn't be anymore disinterested in the protagonist of Day's Gone.

Crossing Eden

giphy.gif

Close enough :p
This was the gif I was thinking of earlier when I said I hope she becomes more muscular. Aloy's upper body strength is pretty ridiculous and a rare thing for an apocalypse setting there's no indication that she's starting so we're talking mad gains. Go for it GG:
Sasha-Pic.jpg

They're all brooding and/or cocky brunette white men with very very similar facial structures. They certainly aren't an indication of diversity, originality, or good at telling me what I need to know about the character at a glance. They're just there as faces. And don't get me wrong, I like some of those characters. But they definitely represent a prevalent and at this point really bad trope in the industry. Like, I couldn't be anymore disinterested in the protagonist of Day's Gone.

The entirety of Day's Gone is uninteresting:

Generic main character: check.
Generic setting: check.
Generic game type: check

All the Aloy designs are good. The one from the game reminds me of a chick a used to work with so it's a little weird to me.

Don't like Aloy's mullet though.

I can't tell if people praising the Aloy designs wanted a completely different looking game or what. It's still an athletic white girl with braided red hair and tribal garb. What's the difference exactly?

The final design was fantastic.

Tyaren

I'm not entirely sure what the sudden problem with the Aloy we got is? It seems like most actually just prefer the cartoony art style over the realistic one.
That is just Loish's (http://loish.deviantart.com/) typical style though. That's how she draws/paints.
Other than art style I don't see that many or big differences in design. Only that Aloy had bangs back then.

ShutterMunster

Never thought I'd see the day where I agree so strongly with Crossing Eden, lol.

Those early Dante DmC images are FIRE. I like just about all of them more than the final design. I bet they would have been crucified for picking any of them though.

Jblanks

Am I not allowed to have a preference?

You're allowed, but I found it pretty funny how much of a hyperbole it was. "it's a damn shame what they went with"... Like her final appearance shares a lot of similarities to all those concept pictures, so we just a weird comment to me.

TokiDoki

Don't like the early versions of Aloy TBH , they look cartoonish and actually bland like those anime/cartoon look you did find elsewhere . The final Aloy design is more fitting to the setting of Horizon Zero Dawn .

Who knew so many people secretly wanted Horizon: Zero Dawn to be a Disney Princesses game?

Agreed nonetheless .

You're allowed, but I found it pretty funny how much of a hyperbole it was. "it's a damn shame what they went with"... Like her final appearance shares a lot of similarities to all those concept pictures, so we just a weird comment to me.

I think part of it is that I just vastly prefer the art style. It actually reminds me of Pixar movies where I think the concept art looks MUCH cooler than the actual final CG version they go with

Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn.

aloy___horizon_zero_dawn_by_loish-db1hw1w.png

C60hvoQWoAQl73y.jpg

ef6f24767b15493bd7c4d343dd7d714d-db3xeox.png

horizon-zero-dawn-artbook-scan2.jpg

be0wpxzt1qi0nb7jnido.jpg

As much as I love the art and the artist, I don't think people are taking much consideration about how this would translate to a 3d model. Great concept art, but filter some of the expressive trademarks of the art through the more grounded design philosophy that GG was aiming for (given they're previous works, I HIGHLY doubt they were ever going for anything stylized), and you're left with something that's devoid of any notable/unique characteristics (aside from the cultural braids, which they up the anted on with the final model). Heck that last piece on the bottom is already telling of how bland it looks once they humanize the model more IMO.

The only thing I get from that Aloy art is that the concept has her looking much younger and more stylized. The final version fits the realistic tone of the game better.

For the concept to really work, you'd ideally want a celshaded style of game, and that's not something I see GG making any time soon.

DE9NcSDXsAAYHVm.jpg

Space Invaders.

DE9Nt6VXsAIZoT_.jpg
So, aside from the Pterodactyl, it's more like Invaders from the Ocean Deep... LOL!

To answer this question, when this occurs:
Video-Game-Protagonists-Brown-Haired-White-Guys.jpg.optimal.jpg

and when this occurs:
675c80160bcbf225043f268d1d11529e.jpg
I was flickin channels around and the Hallmark Channel (all two of them) is dong some Christmas in July shit or somethin. Watching a bit of the movie and the commercials for other holiday movies, the male leads for those movies would fit in WELL with that "Game Protagonist" list. Basically, samey looking white guys with short hair, mostly clean-cut and most square-faced. Howabout a little fuckin' variety? Maybe It's my fault, as these movies are made for me, its audience are probably swooning over these kinda guys, and the fact that they always tend to shoe-horn in key scenes where the teenage daughter signs at a Christmas pageant/ceremony some pop-ish version of a Christmas song (which is like if Radio Disney had a baby with Glee, complete with "I'm so cute and cool" dancing and oversinging).

Leon S Kennedy from the very beginning of RE2's development, before they settled on his glorious hairstyle. Almost looks like a recolored Chris
leon_early_2.jpg

latest

latest

Shion Uzuki from Xenogears Episode I:
4fmcxdZ.jpg

I won't say it's better but it's pretty in line with some of the uniform designs in Xenogears

Speaking of Xenogears, an early Elly out of her Solaris uni

28-Eehgv.jpg

72-GgyyN.jpg

bae

rekameohs

Banned
Oh wow those Bayonetta design slayed my whole existance.
If we get a Bayo 3 I would love if she appeared in different looks, but then again that wouldn't really be marketable to the same people that just wanna stare at her curves in her regular tight outfit.

Also I always have to think of these early designs for Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

concept%20sketches.png
That blatantly evil guy second from the left is the original Edgeworth design, which is pretty hilarious.

108.png

Zelda's early design for Link to the Past, back when the game was going to have some kind of future time travelling component.

I believe this was supposed to be an early Twilight Princess design for Ganondorf.

Top Bottom