• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

early Man of Steel impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
In 2008 and 2010 the internet collectively creamed its pants over TDK and Inception. Nolan was a god. But two years later he's the worst filmmaker, worst storyteller, and an utter hack.

Yup. Welcome to the net.

tbqh Inception is pretty average. People are just wowed by its presentation.

In 2008 and 2010 the internet collectively creamed its pants over TDK and Inception. Nolan was a god. But two years later he's the worst filmmaker, worst storyteller, and an utter hack.

Yup. Welcome to the net.
both those movies were terrible.

tdkr was such long winded tripe.

Boss Doggie

No seriously. Inception is decent but it has the troubles of a typical summer blockbuster (i.e. the stupid main character having angst problems that he doesn't take care of + a pointless newcomer called Ellen Page).

strobogo

Banned
Batman Begins isn't even that dark. It has a lot of weird tone shifts and campy scenes in it. Have you guys seen it recently? I would argue that Batman Returns is a much darker and bleaker film than Begins, even with the ridiculousness and Burtonness of the entire movie. BB is somewhere between Batman 89 and TAS in terms of "darkness" Batman Returns is just depressing and weird in spite of the campiness.

TDK and TDKR are darker movies than BB. TDK is probably the bleakest of the Nolan trilogy. I don't even think BB is much darker or more serious than the X-Men movies.

First time I've been even slightly hyped for a Superman film ever. (I don't count the ancient originals because I saw them before I could ever be "hyped" for them).

Dabanton

- They have intentionally left out most of the the Super action in trailers to save it.

Wish more action films would do this. iirc they're trying this with Ironman 3. Holding back a lot of the action scenes so they're not spoiled.

strobogo

Banned
I wouldn't say Returns was all that bleak. It was more bizarre than anything else.

The world that Gotham inhabits in that movie is a miserable cesspool. Actually, I always felt that Batman and Robin did a good job of making Gotham look like an insane fever nightmare during the bike race scene. For that matter, the Gotham of Batman Forever is pretty fucking ugly, but that's from bag CGI and composition more than the actual city. My main point was that Begins isn't really that dark. It has a shocking amount of camp to it. There were definitely episodes of TAS that had a darker tone and look.

inm8num2

I wouldn't say Returns was all that bleak. It was more bizarre than anything else.

Yea there were aspects of this movie that just seemed a little...strange. Yes, it's fantasy, but I remember certain parts just standing out from the narrative. I think one scene took place at some house during a night storm. Another scene was when Luthor tested his kryptonite planet seed thing on the model town. I don't know why, but scenes like that just seemed bizarre as you said. Unless you were referring to other aspects of the film.

But overall I liked Superman Returns.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
both those movies were terrible.

tdkr was such long winded tripe.

People cannot be serious when they say shit like this. By no possible stretch of the imagination are any of Christopher Nolan's films "terrible" in a world that contains the films featured on MST3K.

Aww man, I really liked the vibe that the trailer gave. I was really looking forward to a Superman movie with a serious tone to it.

The success of The Avengers pretty much proves that that is absolutely not what the audience wants, though. They're smart to not make it like that. Further, I really can't think of a "dark" Superman story that was any good anyway. It's just not a very effective way of presenting the character.

I'm dying to see what the surprise cameo/next villain hint/after credits ending is going to be.....

Lex Luthor.

Lobo please!!

77967-132257-lobo_super.jpg

Dabanton

People cannot be serious when they say shit like this. By no possible stretch of the imagination are any of Christopher Nolan's films "terrible" in a world that contains the films featured on MST3K.

I'd say they're very disappointing. I was hyped as hell for Inception but on a second watch you can see just how simplistic the film is. Seriously how did Nolan manage to make a film about dreams such a drag?

The less said about TDKR the better. Awful end to such a great series, I watched Batman Begins the other night and man that film is still amazing he nails every beat. Same with TDK.

But TDKR has the feel of those films but none of the heart, just like Inception it's empty at it's core and feels strangely rushed.

I'd say they're very disappointing. I was hyped as hell for Inception but on a second watch you can see just how simplistic the film is. Seriously how did Nolan manage to make a film about dreams such a drag?

The less said about TDKR the better. Awful end to such a great series, I watched Batman Begins the other night and man that film is still amazing he nails every beat. Same with TDK.

But TDKR has the feel of those films but none of the heart, just like Inception it's empty at it's core and feels strangely rushed.

This is correct. Nolan cant edit a film to save his life. His scenes just drag on for absolutely ages - that combined with his inability to direct any action scene just makes watching his films a torrid affair.

On top of that - its like people are spellbound after watching his films, proclaiming them to be incredible. I then go watch them and i am so disappointed.

The last batman film had so much hype. i was on holidays in NYC when it was on, i couldnt believe how bad it was. not average, but terrible. every part of it was just dreadful.

The one with heath ledger was alright but he is not a great director or writer by stretch of the imagination.

Rootbeer

Banned
Please be the movie Superman needs to set him back on track. He deserves to be a premier superhero with an awesome set of modern films.

Please be the movie Superman needs to set him back on track. He deserves to be a premier superhero with an awesome set of modern films.

Absolutely my sentiments.

I have faith though, I am quite into Hulk stuff and the period of 9 years from Ang Lee's panned version to Whedon getting him so right in The Avengers was interminable.

Superman is coming back, the way he should have done when Singer was up to bat.

- J - D -

No seriously. Inception is decent but it has the troubles of a typical summer blockbuster (i.e. the stupid main character having angst problems that he doesn't take care of + a pointless newcomer called Ellen Page).

Ellen Page is the audience surrogate. She's there so the other characters can deliver exposition to the viewer in a natural (well, natural for Nolan anyway) way. So, not pointless, just not a particularly interestingly written character.

I'm not a fan of Inception, but it's at the very least an ambitious movie, and that's worth something, I guess.

Batman Begins isn't even that dark. It has a lot of weird tone shifts and campy scenes in it. Have you guys seen it recently? I would argue that Batman Returns is a much darker and bleaker film than Begins, even with the ridiculousness and Burtonness of the entire movie. BB is somewhere between Batman 89 and TAS in terms of "darkness" Batman Returns is just depressing and weird in spite of the campiness.

TDK and TDKR are darker movies than BB. TDK is probably the bleakest of the Nolan trilogy. I don't even think BB is much darker or more serious than the X-Men movies.

I watched Batman Returns recently and you're right, it is very grim at times and its bleakness is barely softened by the fantasical superhero/comic formula. It's such a strange film. Unpleasant.

Boss Doggie

The best Gotham is the Schumaker. Yeah B&R might be terrible but even Batman Beyond and Arkham City acknowledges the really stylistic city design.

Ellen Page is the audience surrogate. She's there so the other characters can deliver exposition to the viewer in a natural (well, natural for Nolan anyway) way. So, not pointless, just not a particularly interestingly written character.

I'm not a fan of Inception, but it's at the very least an ambitious movie, and that's worth something, I guess.

I guess I just hate how writers like to go the easy way on creating a character for the sake of info-dumping. I kinda like it more if they do things by montage with in-character explanations rather than introducing a new character. She's also pretty bland and generic.

- J - D -

Burton did Gotham right. I'm hoping Snyder will do the same for Superman. I don't even remember what Metropolis looked like in the Donner/Singer films.

Simo

That Nick Jones answered a couple of questions via Twitter about the screening:
  • CGI was good and thought the cape was CGI at times but looked really cool.
  • Compared fight scenes as Watchmen meets The Avengers.
  • When asked how Cavill was as Superman his response was "Cavill=Superman/Clark Kent" so err good I guess?
  • Was also asked if the Daily Planet played an important part in the film which he replied how can it not be and " Laurence Fishburne for President!"
  • Screening was complete minus the 3D conversion with the finished score and somebody asked how it was and about the theme and he only replied with "2 words" Hans Zimmer" which again...good I guess?
  • Finally somebody asked him to compare it to The Dark Knight and he honestly thought MOS was better.

SteveWD40

Ellen Page is the audience surrogate. She's there so the other characters can deliver exposition to the viewer

I always refer to her as Suzy Exposition.

Betting now JGL shows up after the credits (setting up Nolans Batman universe as being pre superhero origins, with Superman being the first).

Busty

Banned
Remember, early impressions of TDK Rises were very positive too. Keep that in mind before hoping on the hype train.

This is true of all superhero/fanboy films. The super enthusiastic early screening reviews for Capt. America were particularly galling.

Apparently that film had a 'classic love story' which, to say the least, does not reflect well on the basement dwelling weirdos who genuinely thought that at the early screenings.

I'm hoping the script is really solid. I have fatih in Snyder to do the rest. The movie is going to look cool without a doubt, but it needs a good story. Superman Returns had an awful, awful script.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
No Batman or JGL cameos. From what I understand, this is day 1 for DC's superhero universe. It does not take place within the Nolanverse.

The original stinger scene was Darksied, was changed because The Avengers essentially already did it.

Most likely replacement is either Lex or Brainiac (both could potentially be referenced in the film)

Spoiler... Man of Steel Lego playsets suggest
Brainiac plays a role or is involved in the Destruction of Krypton scenes

shira

man-of-steel-cavill-screening.jpg

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/sco...-action-and-superman-kicking-all-kinds-of-ass

- Imagine a Nolan story with Snyder effects/action
- There’s TONS of action with Superman kicking all kinds of ass in his suit.
- The cape is CG’d most of the time so it can look awesome.
- They have intentionally left out most of the the Super action in trailers to save it.
- It’s not nearly as dour and serious as the trailers suggest.
- The movie is complete, minus the 3D post-conversion, which is currently taking place

bolded my favorites

buzz word that seems to be thrown around is "action-packed" and honestly that is exactly what I wanted.

Superman never really got to punch the shit out of someone on film and that's all I want out of this movie.

SALSA you missed the best quote of all

- It's the best movie of the year.

Please, please, please be good. I need a great Superman movie. Please.

And it's incredibly awesome that the movie is apparently not gritty just 'cause. All the great Superman stories are idealistic and inherently positive.

Must...not...board...hype train...

- Imagine a Nolan story with Snyder effects/action
- There’s TONS of action with Superman kicking all kinds of ass in his suit.
- The cape is CG’d most of the time so it can look awesome.
- It’s not nearly as dour and serious as the trailers suggest.
- The movie is complete, minus the 3D post-conversion, which is currently taking place

Too late.

Biggzy

That Nick Jones answered a couple of questions via Twitter about the screening:
  • CGI was good and thought the cape was CGI at times but looked really cool.
  • Compared fight scenes as Watchmen meets The Avengers.
  • When asked how Cavill was as Superman his response was "Cavill=Superman/Clark Kent" so err good I guess?
  • Was also asked if the Daily Planet played an important part in the film which he replied how can it not be and " Laurence Fishburne for President!"
  • Screening was complete minus the 3D conversion with the finished score and somebody asked how it was and about the theme and he only replied with "2 words" Hans Zimmer" which again...good I guess?
  • Finally somebody asked him to compare it to The Dark Knight and he honestly thought MOS was better.

That is how I interpreted it.

The CineGAF Nolan hate is delicious. You make one mediocre/average film and you get graded down from Film-Messiah to Brett Ratner. Shame on you CineGAF.

Regarding Slo-Motion effects: Only slomo I'd tolerate is a Supes vs Zod fistfight in normal speed with everything around them exploding and shattering in slomo to make kryptonian super-speed fights visible.

Dabanton

the backlash against the nolan batman movies feels so fucking forced.

My only issue is with TDKR.

Both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are absolutely fantastic films.

Remember, early impressions of TDK Rises were very positive too. Keep that in mind before hoping on the hype train.

There was a thread on here that said that the execs stood up at the first screening and applauded, some of them with tears in their eyes.

For me any film needs a second watch to see whether it was hype or genuine good film making that was propelling it.

fuenf

DerZuhälter;48506250 said:
The CineGAF Nolan hate is delicious. You make one mediocre/average film and you get graded down from Film-Messiah to Brett Ratner. Shame on you CineGAF.

The Last Stand > TDKR ;). Not really but you can make a case that X3 has a more coherent plot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom