• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 5's enemies are literally called “Immigrants"

They were "Foreigners" in the Japanese version of 2025/4.1.

Not to excuse this, but it's extremely unlikely there's a deeper meaning behind it. That said they should change it if only because it's a really stupid thing to be calling your invading enemy force in a game about giant ants and frogmen.

Bah, beaten:

This isn't new for EDF.

The enemies in EDF 3 and 4 are called "Foreigners" (「フォーリナー」) in the Japanese.
See: http://www.d3p.co.jp/edf4/#foreigner

I am sure that, like the Ravagers of EDF 2017 and EDF 2025, their name will be changed for the US release.

So if not alien immigrants, how in English do you express the concept "alien life form that would like to migrant and live on earth"?
If this is a genuine question, it would be "extraterrestrial immigrant". However none of the aliens in EDF are attempting to emigrate to Earth and start a family. They''re an invading force that you murder wholesale by the tens of thousands. Calling them "immigrants" is a little too on the nose given the recent events with Syrian refugees and the ongoing debate about the state of immigration in the United States. Understandably, neither of those issues particularly affects Japan, but given Japan's historical stigma of xenophobia, it's still a poor choice of word.

salromano

So if not alien immigrants, how in English do you express the concept "alien life form that would like to migrant and live on earth"?

While I agree that the word Immigrants is technically not incorrect given that they're migrating from an alien world to live on earth, I think it's the fact that they're attacking and trying to take over that makes it sound weird.

It doesn't matter anyway because it'll be changed in English release just like the other games.

TalonJH

They were "Foreigners" in the Japanese version of 2025/4.1.

Not to excuse this, but it's extremely unlikely there's a deeper meaning behind it. That said they should change it if only because it's a really stupid thing to be calling your invading enemy force in a game about giant ants and frogmen.

Bah, beaten:

I don't think anyone thinks it's meant in a negative way. They just find it amusing or "eye-brow raising" use of words.

We normally wouldn't call an invader an immigrant. If they were just aliens coming to our planet, immigrant would be fine. It's in the same way that you wouldn't call a robber, a visitor. I really think they were going for the pun on immigrANT which is pretty funny as far as puns go.

What's the problem here?
It's a videogame, and not a very famous one at that... and there's an obvious play on words here.

Immigrant, invaders, or slightly friendly neigbours who want to sell cookies, who cares, really. And there's no way the word 'immigrant' would be left as is in western versions anyway.

I just hope the game will be good.

I don't think there is a problem, people just think it's amusing.

What's the problem here?
It's a videogame, and not a very famous one at that... and there's an obvious play on words here.

Immigrant, invaders, or slightly friendly neigbours who want to sell cookies, who cares, really. And there's no way the word 'immigrant' would be left as is in western versions anyway.

I just hope the game will be good.

sonicmj1

We need to build a space wall, and the space bugs will pay for it.

latest

IpsoFacto

Oh, no! The ants are eating us but I can't let my internalized xenophobia win because that's what the ants really want!

L Thammy

Can someone tally the number of people complaining about people offended versus the number of people who are actually offended in this thread?

skelekey

I thought immigrant and alien were the same thing. On dictionary.com the second definition is, "an organism found in a new habitat". I'm not seeing the issue here.

Edit, Whoops, I see I'm a little late.

If this is a genuine question, it would be "extraterrestrial immigrant". However none of the aliens in EDF are attempting to emigrate to Earth and start a family. They''re an invading force that you murder wholesale by the tens of thousands. Calling them "immigrants" is a little too on the nose given the recent events with Syrian refugees and the ongoing debate about the state of immigration in the United States. Understandably, neither of those issues particularly affects Japan, but given Japan's historical stigma of xenophobia, it's still a poor choice of word.

While I agree that the word Immigrants is technically not incorrect given that they're migrating from an alien world to live on earth, I think the fact that they're attacking and trying to take over that makes it sound weird.

It doesn't matter anyway because it'll be changed in English release just like the other games.

We normally wouldn't call an invader an immigrant. If they were just aliens coming to our planet, immigrant would be fine. It's in the same way that you wouldn't call a robber, a visitor. I really think they were going for the pun on immigrANT which is pretty funny as far as puns go.

Ok. Sorry for my poor engrish vocabulary. Invader does seem more fitting given the context but immigrANT is definitely more punny.

sonicmj1

Ok. Sorry for my poor engrish vocabulary. Invader does seem more fitting given the context but immigrANT is definitely more punny.

Invader would be more fitting, which is why they used that name for the aliens in EDF 1 and 2.

Every time they reboot the series, they change the name of the aliens.

I hope they keep it just to hear the hammy voice actors constantly stress the pun. Especially the constantly bewildered scientist who always talks to you.

KDR_11k

I doubt it's a pun, just a case of not knowing what they're saying. Japan has a tendency to grab random English words and use them completely wrong because they sound cool. Especially EDF, look at all the mythological or otherwise borrowed names stuck onto the various weapons and vehicles that make no damn sense or are at best something nobody would ever call it. Air Raider and Fencer for a start (often used as a proper nouns in the dialog).

I get that the Japanese have a well-earned reputation for xenophobia, but given the past EDF games' clowny ham-filled dialog and atmosphere, I think we can dismiss any notion of deliberate intent here. This is English text in a Japanese game. Anyone with experience in that area knows how stilted the text can be.

Call me if it's still there after localization and I'll stop laughing.

Riposte

Military game jerking off on nationalistic propaganda? Tell me something new. Most war games are unbearable pieces of shit with their depictions of the "enemies" too. Not sure what's more offensive tbh. They're all trash games anyway, glorifying the utter failure of man.

Did you eat lunch?

junpei

I get that the Japanese have a well-earned reputation for xenophobia, but given the past EDF games' clowny ham-filled dialog and atmosphere, I think we can dismiss any notion of deliberate intent here. This is English text in a Japanese game. Anyone with experience in that area knows how stilted the text can be.

Call me if it's still there after localization and I'll stop laughing.

xenophobia doesn't need ill intent to be xenophobia. That being said I need more info before I call this xenophobia. This issue will likely be changed when this comes stateside.

micster

Holy shit, some of these replies. Japan's resident card for foreigners used to be called the alien card. It's a mix of bad translation choices and not understanding how that meaning carries over when looked at under a western spotlight.

BTA

Not sure what you're referring to, but they have change names of groups, enemies, items etc all the time

edit: change might not be the best word, localize is what i mean.

I was mostly joking- I do expect that they'll change this, especially given the precedence pointed out in this thread. I was referring to their staff's backwards idea of what "censorship" means and how they've specifically kept wording that'll be worse in the US in the past.

A poor choice of words but if the in game aliens are trying to take over the planet then it's not the incorrect word to use. It is a correct use of that word.

Not the most sensitive choice of words, though.
I didn't realize the word immigrants was associated with people trying to take over.

Toxi

Banned
A poor choice of words but if the in game aliens are trying to take over the planet then it's not the incorrect word to use. It is a correct use of that word.

Not the most sensitive choice of words, though.
When talking about the Nazis invading France, do we usually call them immigrants? No.

It's bizarre how many people don't understand that words have connotations. It's not just that calling monsters trying to invade the planet "immigrants" is a tad offensive, it also is an extremely unfitting word for the context.

KDR_11k

Military game jerking off on nationalistic propaganda? Tell me something new. Most war games are unbearable pieces of shit with their depictions of the "enemies" too. Not sure what's more offensive tbh. They're all trash games anyway, glorifying the utter failure of man.

EDF is a game about the human military going "EDF EDF EDF!" and getting horribly murdered by the aliens. Even the name EDF refers to the useless military that gets stomped in the first half hour of any Kaiju movie to give a reason why only the heroes can stop the monster.

Hektor

I didn't realize the word immigrants was associated with people trying to take over.

The Europeans colonizing America while systematically slaughtering natives were and often still are reffered to as immigrants too.

What was that other than trying to take over?

caligula13

Gold Member
The Europeans colonizing America while systematically slaughtering natives were and often still are reffered to as immigrants too.

What was that other than trying to take over?

that might be true but the immigrants of today are not white...for the left that changes everything

Top Bottom