• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EARTH DEFENSE FORCE X: GAME OF THE YEAR. AGAIN.

duckroll

115890467502.jpg

2 player split-screen co-op TRIPLE CONFIRMED WITH PHOTO EVIDENCE! :D

duckroll

bloke said:
Looks like there's definately no co-op via Live.
Gyao site got updated, now we just need someone with account. http://www.gyao.jp/game/d3p/

I watched it, I'm not going to go through the trouble of ripping it and youtubing this time because this is a 15 minute presentation which is really boring. It's mostly the presenter talking and even when he's fiddling with the menus the camera is stuck on his face. They did show off a new vehicle, the anti-alien walker thing you can ride. But the quality of the entire recording is so poor it's hard to judge. I'll say wait for Blimblim's footage instead. :/

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
No co-op Live = massive =[. The co-op slut in me weeps, but split screen will make due, I suppose.

duckroll

They have made no announcment regarding Live at this stage. But them not mentioning it isn't good news, but it's not a confirmation. At the event the co-op was split-screen like in traditional EDF. He also mentioned that for the price of a full price game, you get EDF squads (AI soldiers under you), a new rider style robot tank vehicle, and high-definition. He didn't mention online play, but again, it wasn't mentioned anywhere in the presentation.

Here's what's confirmed so far:

- 50 missions or so
- 100+ weapons
- 4 vehicles (bike, chopper, tank, robot)
- 2 players split-screen

Here's what has not been mentioned or likely to be missing:

- Palewing
- Live play

Anything at this stage is speculation until the EDF3 official site updates with full details.

Edit: Oh and players on the showfloor confirm that there is NO control over your squadmates whatsoever. They're 100% AI, there's no order/command system.

Bebpo

Banned
Iffffffffy

After watching Blimblim's video it's like OMG THIS IS SO AWESOME (except that the guy playing can't play). I CAN'T IMAGINE HOW MUCH OF MY LIFE WILL BE SPENT ONLINE IN CO-OP WITH 3+ OTHER JGAFFERS.

But then...no mention of co-op

...and no mention of Pale Wing....

This is starting to sound SOLID IF NOT SPECTACULAR

...when it should be GOTY 2006 :\

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I'm sorry to say we missed the game's presentation today, and worse of all because of one of the most boring interviews I ever did (even worse than Okamoto for Everyparty last year, yuk).
I don't think we'll be back here tomorrow, so sorry guys :(

duckroll

SnakeXs said:
Shouldn't you add a US release under the speculation section? =[

This is about TGS, we'll do that when X06 rolls around! :D

Please MS? Please?

Blimblim said:
I'm sorry to say we missed the game's presentation today, and worse of all because of one of the most boring interviews I ever did (even worse than Okamoto for Everyparty last year, yuk).
I don't think we'll be back here tomorrow, so sorry guys :(

Don't worry, the presentation is boring shit. You can make it up by taking video of some of the other stages! There are 6 stages in the playable demo! Please?! :D

Blimblim

The Inside Track
duckroll said:
Don't worry, the presentation is boring shit. You can make it up by taking video of some of the other stages! There are 6 stages in the playable demo! Please?! :D
We'll do it for sure if we have time.

ant1532

Banned
http://www.gamespot.com/events/tgs2006/story.html?sid=6158445&pid=929255
TGS 06: Earth Defense Forces 3 Hands-On
The bugs are (still) coming. We stomp a few hundred of them in this thoroughly Japanese Xbox 360 game.
By Brian Ekberg, GameSpot
Posted Sep 22, 2006 8:47 pm PT

TOKYO--Whom does humanity turn to when a massive fleet of alien ships descends on the planet and starts using gigantic mutated ants and spiders as their weapon of choice? One obvious answer here in Japan is the Earth Defense Forces. The EDF is back stomping out gigantic bugs en masse, this time on the Xbox 360 version of Earth Defense Forces 3. We had a chance to try out the gooey fun for ourselves directly from the show floor of the Tokyo Game Show.

Because there was a line to see the game, we were able to watch a few other players try out a huge open-ended urban level before it was our turn. The size of the cities seems to have greatly increased when compared to the older PS2 games. At the beginning of one level, our EDF hero is running down a huge main street, bazooka and machine gun in tow, as a commotion stirring roughly ten blocks away. As our hero ran closer, it's clear that the commotion was a herd of massive, angry black ants, who were crawling all over the buildlings and generally wreaking havoc. What's cool is that even though our hero was so far away from the action, we could pop a few bazooka shells at the ants and start thinning the herd before he got close enough to open up with his machine gun.

Of course, lobbing all of those high explosives is going to be dangerous, not just for the enemies, but for the humans as well. Not only can you injure yourself if you get caught in the blast of one of your rockets, but any building you hit with a bazooka shell will be destroyed as well. As a result, once the ant-slaying gets really hot and heavy, you can expect to raze half a city block without blinking an eye.

As for the enemies themselves, the giant ants looked just as menacing as they did in the PS2 games, although comprised of more polys and slightly better textures. That said, they're still dumber than, well, ants. They make a beeline towards you at all times and make little, if any effort, to get out of the way when you start filling them with hot lead. What the enemy lacks in brains, however, it makes up for in sheer numbers. EDF 3 features literally tons and tons of bugs are crawling after you in effort to gobble you and other random EDF members up.

When we finally got our hands on the game, we wanted to try a different level than the black ant cityscape. There were several levels to choose from: including a red ant level, what appeared to be a robot ant challenge, and one where you took on massive tarantulas, which is the one we tried out. Here, we were dropped into a huge open area, with very few buildings around us. Seemingly surrounded on all sides by gigantic hopping tarantulas (we didn't know tarantulas hopped but now that we've seen it in a video game, it must be true). Before you know it, the terrifying tarantulas were literally hopping all around us, trying to ensnare us in their sticky webs, and generally paying for it with mouthfuls of RPGs and hot lead.

As we fought our valiant battle, we would run into a number of different item pickups along the way, including weapon and armor supplies, and then it was back to the bug-blasting. The game does seem to employ some nominal physics this time around, not just with the destructible environments, but with the bugs themselves. Shoot a rocket into a group of bugs, for example, and the blast will hurl a bunch of them into the air. That's cool and all, but we really liked the up-close-and-personal spray of blood that would spray when you gave them the business end of the machine gun.

If the past is any indication, there's no way Earth Defense Force 3 is coming to American Xbox 360s. However, if you're looking to stomp bugs of a truly epic nature, and you own a Japanese Xbox 360, you might consider importing this one once it's released.
-GameSpot

Aaron

Bah. That wasn't worth quoting. I can tell the guy had little experience with the series. I mean, mentioning the AI. WTF?

duckroll

I'm certain the areas in EDF3 are the same size as those in the previous games, but simply look better. This guy is probably trying really hard to sound like he has experience with the previous games without having played them himself. :p

If he had ANY experience with the previous games at all, he would go with the robot demo to see something NEW. :p

duckroll said:
I'm certain the areas in EDF3 are the same size as those in the previous games, but simply look better. This guy is probably trying really hard to sound like he has experience with the previous games without having played them himself. :p

If he had ANY experience with the previous games at all, he would go with the robot demo to see something NEW. :p

Don't you wish you were there... >.>

duckroll

Adam Blade said:
Don't you wish you were there... >.>

Not entirely, I considered at some point going for a TGS this year. But cost and the schedule doesn't really work out. It'll be more relaxing to have a vacation some other time just to meet Japanese gaffers and chill. I don't really like lining up to play games either. :/

Oh well, the full game will be out in Dec! :D

sadly, i think its pretty safe to say that pale wing is not in this game.

after looking through the available media/perusing the website, i can find no evidence of pale wing being in the game at all. you would think there would be at least one screenshot if she were in the game, but anyone has yet to see it.

i can only ask, why? surely d3 has got to know pale wing is the best!! why would they remove her? maybe there is some kind of pale wing equivalent/unlockable in the game. one can only hope. would really suck if not.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Snoopers just came back with some new footage of the game. I won't be able to put it online until a few hours though.

duckroll

Someone on 2ch talked to D3 staff at TGS:

- No online play confirmed. :(
- The demo is 2 channel audio, and it seems the full game won't be 5.1 either. :(
- No plans to put the demo on Marketplace at all. :(

TGS failed. :(

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
duckroll said:

- The demo is 2 channel audio, and it seems the full game won't be 5.1 either. :(
- No plans to put the demo on Marketplace at all. :(

TGS failed. :(

5.1 isn't a requirement? Yowza. That hurts. =[

3 small stabs to the chest. Somehow it may have missed my vitals. I may get throught his. =[

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
awesome -- what is that huge thing they're fighting? no pale wing would seriously dim my enthusiasm, though...i actually liked playing as the soldier in edf2, but pale wing's jetpack and energy weapons were so much more fun. i hope they're just keeping her as a surprise or an unlockable or something.

this is all rather idle, because right now i don't see how i'm going to play this anyway.

Tiktaalik

God damn bring this out in NA Microsoft!

In a related note, I'm in Osaka visiting a friend and I saw Mother 3 for 1999 yen and I was very sad and ANGRY AT NINTENDO.

duckroll

bloke said:
Well it's not 100% confirmed yet. Us westerners will get complete version anyway...right D3 :p

The producer saying there are 100+ weapons in the game pretty much nails it as 100%.

This sounds exactly like EDF1 though:

- 50+ missions
- 100+ missions
- Soldier only, with vehicles
- First alien war

Since it's a reboot in timeline, it makes sense, although it's disappointing. Pale Wing was created based on alien tech from the first alien war, to fight in the second war.

Bebpo

Banned
duckroll said:

So after they asked about this, did they ask a follow-up question? Namely, "WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!?!"

;_;

bloke said:
Well it's not 100% confirmed yet. PS3 owners will get complete version anyway...right D3 :p

Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case either. :\

Maximilian

DIYMF Alumni
This game looks fricking awesome. I had heard soooo much about the previous two but had never seen them in action. It is a crime this will probably not make it out in the US. Microsoft oughtta pull some strings or some shit. I want it.

careksims

It's like it was meant for online! Why can't these people get it in their heads to bring it over here!? Don't restrict your audience! Someone needs to ask MS to bring this over. I would pay $60 for this kind of game.

I don't really care about online as the most fun to be had is with single player or a friend. I just want a date for this bitch.

drohne

d3's us branch doesn't want to publish simple 2000 games -- perhaps because they don't think scea will approve them. most simple 2000 games are abject shit, so i can see where they're coming from. edf2 is awesome, but i guess it does have some single-digit framerate moments.

drohne

GODDAMN i have to find a way to play this. i'm not going to permit myself to hope that the japanese release is region free -- look how well that worked with senkou no ronde :(

Top Bottom