• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound Fans Have Had it - MOTHER 3 Translation

jman2050

Monsterland said:
The last nintendo game I played on the DS was Mario & Luigi. There was a part where you fight the hammer bros.. I can't remember the exact dialogue - this was a while ago - but it was something like 'OMGZ pRePar3 2 pay! W3 are 1337 LOL Hammah tim3 FTW!!' I turned it off at that point and haven't touched it since. A similar thing happened in pokemon.

.... That was arguably the best part of the game o_O

tnw

Banned
When I was buying some used games last weekend, the clerk had a pile of like 10 Mother 3s near the register. I think I might go back and exchange Sim shitty DS for that game.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
this is good news and I cant wait for this. Never played an earthbound game before.

theultimo

isamu said:
this is good news and I cant wait for this. Never played an earthbound game before.
Gotta play Earthbound for the SNES somehow. It still holds up as one of the finest gaming experiences in the 16-bit RPG era. Plenty of Humor and the music is catchy 8-bit style.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Jcgamer60 said:
Heh, that disappearing translator had a bad attitude anyway. I wonder why she was hired in the first place.

Girls + nerds = disaster.

They probably gave her so much space and leeway in the hope that she might hang out with them that they failed to notice she was a waste of space.

Thoren

Banned
Nintendo has shut down fan projects in the past. They shut down OoT in 2d, Zelda Online (Which became Graal), and a bunch of other stuff.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Thoren said:
Nintendo has shut down fan projects in the past. They shut down OoT in 2d, Zelda Online (Which became Graal), and a bunch of other stuff.

OoT in 2d and Zelda Online are both games made by fans that infringe on Nintendo's IP. The Mother 3 patch, like all rom hacks, is legal because it simply modifies existing IP. If OoT 2d was a LTTP romhack, it would have been completely fine.

On the other hand, Nintendo would be well within its rights to bar distribution of the patch attached to the ROM; the patch itself is not and cannot be illegal.

Thoren said:

No ROM translation hack has ever been shut down or even acknowledged by a copyright holder, and it's doubtful that one would or could. The patch itself is useless without a ROM obtained entirely separately.

Jcgamer60

Burai said:
Girls + nerds = disaster.

They probably gave her so much space and leeway in the hope that she might hang out with them that they failed to notice she was a waste of space.

She just seemed Juvenile by getting worked up by a bunch of fourm posters all the damn time.

By having open fourms, for translations, you open yourselves to those kinds of attacks.

Stumpokapow said:
OoT in 2d and Zelda Online are both games made by fans that infringe on Nintendo's IP. The Mother 3 patch, like all rom hacks, is legal because it simply modifies existing IP. If OoT 2d was a LTTP romhack, it would have been completely fine.

On the other hand, Nintendo would be well within its rights to bar distribution of the patch attached to the ROM; the patch itself is not and cannot be illegal.

They murdered Zelda OoT 2d's creator.

Baryn

Banned
thebagofsand said:
I like the nerd humor.
Yeah, it's good. All the people buying those particular Nintendo games are Interweb geeks in the first place... for Amir0x to call it "obscure" in that case is inaccurate.

Amir0x

Banned
Baryn said:
Yeah, it's good. All the people buying those particular Nintendo games are Interweb geeks in the first place... for Amir0x to call it "obscure" in that case is inaccurate.

Wait, you think all the people buying these treehouse translated Nintendo game are all interweb geeks? Really? I mean Mother maybe, but that's it. The other games Treehouse usually translates... not so much.

bluemax

Banned
charlequin said:
No ROM translation hack has ever been shut down or even acknowledged by a copyright holder, and it's doubtful that one would or could. The patch itself is useless without a ROM obtained entirely separately.

I'm pretty sure there have been a few rom translations that got shut down.

Aeris130

Fan projects that have gotten shut down or been ordered to cease and desist so far, have usually involved the releasing (or future releasing) of copyrighted material, such as full programs (RPG Maker) or "remakes" that contain copyrighted material (CT and OOT 2D for example).

Patches in and by demselves are not illegal in any way unless you rip another games data into them.

TransTrender

Gold Member
One question: Why call it 'Mother' and 'Earthbound' in the same sentence?
If you were super koool you would just call it 'Mother'
If you were a normal person you would call it "Earthbound"
...and in my personal opinion, 'Earthbound' is a much better name than 'Mother'....unless I'm not seeing something you are.

Odrion

Banned
jman2050 said:
.... That was arguably the best part of the game o_O

While I let out a "Hah!" at any sort of nerdy injoke, they are really not that clever at all and pretty much alienates people otherwise. Super Paper Mario's humor had a lot of "HAY NERDS, EVER POSTED ON A MESSAGE BOARD?"

Aeana

Killdozer said:
One question: Why call it 'Mother' and 'Earthbound' in the same sentence?
If you were super koool you would just call it 'Mother'
If you were a normal person you would call it "Earthbound"
...and in my personal opinion, 'Earthbound' is a much better name than 'Mother'....unless I'm not seeing something you are.

Probably because EarthBound is the name of a single title in the series - the only one to be released in North America. There is no official western name for Mother 3, and so people continue to call it by its Japanese name.

Baryn

Banned
Amir0x said:
Wait, you think all the people buying these treehouse translated Nintendo game are all interweb geeks? Really? I mean Mother maybe, but that's it. The other games Treehouse usually translates... not so much.
The Mario RPGs and their ilk? Yeah, I'd say the great majority are people who would catch onto it, even if they aren't internet junkie gamers.

Ravidrath

Odrion said:
While I let out a "Hah!" at any sort of nerdy injoke, they are really not that clever at all and pretty much alienates people otherwise. Super Paper Mario's humor had a lot of "HAY NERDS, EVER POSTED ON A MESSAGE BOARD?"

You guys make it sound like the Treehouse added that kind of stuff to Mario and Luigi and Super Paper Mario.

Have people compared the Japanese and English versions and definitively determined that the internet humor was "added", and not just a replacement for Japanese internet humor?

Amir0x

Banned
Baryn said:
The Mario RPGs and their ilk? Yeah, I'd say the great majority are people who would catch onto it, even if they aren't internet junkie gamers.

I don't agree man, almost any game with "Mario" in it is purchased by a large variety of people - geek and non-geek. Sure they may not necessarily be purchased on a New! Super Mario Bros. level or a Super Mario 64 level, but they definitely have a large base of consumers who associate Mario with quality and don't necessarily do the research required to realize this is a different type of Mario game.

I know for a fact there are tons of these type of people who would not understand even half the inside e-humour Nintendo enters into their game. It does not bother me, because I am a geek and know what they mean and could give a **** what these casual consumers understand, but that doesn't make it less true.

thefro

It's going to be pretty funny when these guys put in all this work, and Reggie announces Mother 3 as one of the first "Wii Ware" titles in a couple weeks.

Amir0x

Banned
That'd be pretty funny in the sense that it would never happen and it's literally more likely that wings would rip out of pigs backs and they'd take flight, but yeah

Shouta

Stumpokapow said:
The Mother 3 patch, like all rom hacks, is legal because it simply modifies existing IP. If OoT 2d was a LTTP romhack, it would have been completely fine.

They could possibly shut it down based on the fact the patch infringes on the right of translation I believe. The path itself is probably legal but the translation would probably not be. However, whether or not they would go after someone for that is another matter.

Baryn

Banned
Amir0x said:
I don't agree man, almost any game with "Mario" in it is purchased by a large variety of people - geek and non-geek. Sure they may not necessarily be purchased on a New! Super Mario Bros. level or a Super Mario 64 level, but they definitely have a large base of consumers who associate Mario with quality and don't necessarily do the research required to realize this is a different type of Mario game.

I know for a fact there are tons of these type of people who would not understand even half the inside e-humour Nintendo enters into their game. It does not bother me, because I am a geek and know what they mean and could give a **** what these casual consumers understand, but that doesn't make it less true.
I'd say it's actually unprovable and it's essentially my hunch versus yours.

thefro said:
It's going to be pretty funny when these guys put in all this work, and Reggie announces Mother 3 as one of the first "Wii Ware" titles in a couple weeks.
And then an English-translated Seiken Densetsu 3 (in 3D) with unlockable Mario universe characters is announced for DS.

Top Bottom