• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthlock: Festival of Magic [Kickstarter] - PC/MAC/Linux/WiiU/X1/PS4

Doffen

Funded! $178,193

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/171497873/earthlock-festival-of-magic

ew4QvDS.png

Goal: $150,000
Deadline: April 12. 2014

An original turn-based role-playing game set in a world of machines and magic, a world that stopped spinning thousands of years ago.

On Umbra, a planet that mysteriously stopped spinning ages ago, war is brewing. As desert scavenger Amon, you must stop the coming war by unlocking the mysteries of Umbra and prevent an ancient, magical cult seizing the power.

iUM0WuM.png

• Volume 1 in the Earthlock™ series
  • Release platforms*: PC/Mac/Linux, Wii U, Xbox One, PS4.
  • Greenlit for Steam in October 2013
  • Release date: Q1, 2015 on PC, Mac and Linux. Q2, 2015 on Wii U, Xbox One and PS4.
  • Early Concept Demo available for download: PC - MAC - Linux

DDgcojs.png

jWRhy6l.png

• Rich, non-linear story
  • Turn-based combat (No Active Time Battle)
  • Combat pairs (Allows more variations to your battle team)
  • Grow your own ammunition (Organic crafting)
  • Build and improve your home base
  • Environmental Puzzles
  • Gorgeous Overworld with a retro feel
  • No random encounters (Monsters visible at all times)
  • Play as Male or Female protagonist (You can switch at any time)

COMBAT:
The battle system goes back to the roots of the genre with its no-nonsense turn based combat, but there are several refreshing twists to the formula. One is the pairing system. Instead of separate characters, your party is made up of pairs where each pair is composed of a warrior and a protector.

The warrior uses consumables such as ammunition and items, while the protector can perform spells like healing and shields. Instead of standard magic points, spells cost Support Points, which build up when the pair receives damage.

Choosing your warrior and protector combinations is key to finding the right tactics. Special pair actions and character stats change according to the pairings and will greatly affect the way you play in combat. As players get hold of more consumable types, the ability to chain elemental effects will encourage the player to have a good variety of ammo at their disposal.

MEDIA:

6ocdakY.png

VhF51bc.png

8hGkxYW.png

Video:
Early Alpha Playthrough
Earthlock Combat Clip
Crafting Harvesting

Kickstarter
Official site
Facebook
Twitter

wrowa

I hope the second try is more successful than their first attempt. Delivering the game, even if it's just the first episode, for just 150k on all these platforms seems rather ambitious, though.

Doffen

Are kickstarter threads like these okay?

Why shouldn't it be? I find it to be an interesting project with potential, and though some other GAF'ers also would like it.

I'm also not connected to this project. Except for being a backer.

I hope the second try is more successful than their first attempt. Delivering the game, even if it's just the first episode, for just 150k on all these platforms seems rather ambitious, though.

They will get additional founds from The NFI in Norway.
Not a lot, but together with the Kickstarter it should cover the expenses.

mclem

I think self-promotion is regarded as a no-no (at least, not without clearing it with a mod, there may possibly be exceptional circumstances). General independent discovery of a project, though? Go for it.

Instro

Seems like something I would back, I'll have to read through the kickstarter first. Thanks for posting about it, I feel like even if they can just get enough to cover the kick starter, a game like this hitting early access on Steam down the road would do quite well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think it looks really good so far and I'd definitely be willing to check it out when it releases.

But personally, I see red flags:
1) Previous failed KS for what is essentially the same game with a higher funding request.

2) Announcing ahead of time that this is "Volume 1" in a franchise and that "You will be able to download Volume 2 & Volume 3 of Earthlock if and when they are released. We estimate that it will take about 6-12 months to develop each sequel. Please note that we cannot guarantee the release of these Volumes." for higher tiers, while noting that "chapter II and III won’t necessarily need their own Kickstarter to be a reality." -- so what if Volume 1 does not do well and then Volume 2Chapter II needs a KS, but doesn't make it? I guess people funding at those tiers should be ready to assume that even if they are entitled to the entire game, they're only funding the first episode.

3) $150,000 is not remotely enough to fund the studio until the release date (even without subtracting fulfillment costs for all the rewards they're promising, which could eat up a pretty substantial portion of their funding depending on how --and that's assuming they make the release date, which few of these projects do--meaning they're relying on external funding, meaning it's entirely possible that they meet the KS funding requirements but external funding falls through and backers are left with no game when funding dries up. What if investors get gunshy or government funding doesn't come through?

4) 6 target platforms, they don't have "approval" from any of the console platforms--does this mean they're not licensed developer for those platforms?, and they only have a 3 month window from the original PC release and the console release. That's pretty tight and I think there'd be a very real risk that even if the PC version comes out fine, the console versions will be delayed or might not happen.

As a result, I would classify this as a somewhat high risk KS.

69wpm

4) 6 target platforms, they don't have "approval" from any of the console platforms--does this mean they're not licensed developer for those platforms?

That is weird, I saw a white Wii U controller in the video. Didn't get a good look at it but that might have been one from the dev unit, unless they just bought a basic console for the video? I also remember this game showing up in one of the early Nintendo Directs (from around August 2013 I think).

Burt

Game looks great. Gonna take a run at the demo before I pledge anything though. Hope that $15 tier doesn't fill up too fast.

Oddduck

4) 6 target platforms, they don't have "approval" from any of the console platforms--does this mean they're not licensed developer for those platforms?, and they only have a 3 month window from the original PC release and the console release. That's pretty tight and I think there'd be a very real risk that even if the PC version comes out fine, the console versions will be delayed or might not happen.

I think they were approved as licensed Wii U developers.

http://www.nintendo-insider.com/2013/05/08/snowcastle-games-approved-as-licensed-nintendo-developer/

Doffen

New pledge tiers (Wasn't available when I backed wtf?)

Early supporter: $15 - Digital copy of game, Beta invite and Support credit.
Early Earthlock Sequel: $100 - Alpha invite, Volume 2 & 3, Digital copy of game X3.
Object Designer: $200 - Volum 1 & 3, design an object, Digital copy of game X4.

18% backed.

jediyoshi

Nice to see it shaping together quicker than last time

They're approved for the Wii U to some degree, they've had devkits since last year.

edit: missed the earlier response

tebunker

Banned
We have personally invested everything into this game. We have gotten great support from the Nordic Game Program and the Norwegian Film Fund. We have awesome investors who believe in us, and the last piece of the financial puzzle is you, the player.

You would think that some folks would read before posting.

I almost want to back this, almost. It had generated buzz at PAX prime, that's when Nintendo signed them up, they were one of the first free Unity indie devs.

Doffen

Earthlock today got granted another $200.000 in government funding (edit:) if they reached the funding goal in Kickstarter.
The project has previously received $300.000 in government funding.

According to the developers this game will have a total budget of $1.228.304

Earthlock today got granted another $200.000 in government funding (edit:) if they reached the funding goal in Kickstarter.
The project has previously received $300.000 in government funding.

According to the developers this game will have a total budget of $1.228.304

Wow great news! I really hope it get funded. I want more turn- based RPG for PS4.

Haunted

Only if the project looks good/interesting.

And while this does look fairly slow and the project as a whole has some... aggressive scheduling as Stump pointed out, I think this qualifies. Western-made, JRPG-inspired, turn-based strategy on PC should definitely be a thing that exists.

Durante

I agree that this is quite a high-risk kickstarter (particularly the re-launched version), but at the very least they seem persistent about wanting to make this thing.

Almost 73k now out of 150k.

It's slowed down quite a bit as expected, but still 19 days left so it should make it assuming they get a boost towards the end as kickstarters typically do. They need some more publicity though.

Doffen

Halfway there. Will be interesting to see if it succeeds.

AMA:

We will be doing an AMA on www.reddit.com/r/iama tomorrow Wednesday at 5pm EST (GMT -5). We invite everyone to come on over and ask us anything. Ask us about the game, about the kickstarter project, about developing games in Norway, about our hobbies or anything else at all.

The more who come and ask questions the better the AMA will be, so tell all you know who might be interested!

Hope to see you there! =)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I hope it makes it too. 32K left in 3 days and 22 hours or so... Hope there's a huge push at the end or something...

Mithos

Seems like it will make it.

almost at 144k/150k now and 50 hrs left.

Would be shocked if it didn't, hasn't even hit the 48 hour mark yet and is only 6k away.
I guess I made the wording in a bad way, meant it as, Seems like they made it.

Top Bottom