• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthlock: Festival of Magic |OT| Scandinavian 3D Turn-Based RPG

Nairume

Banned
I've put a few hours into this so far. Been looking forward to it for years now, which is probably why I'm maybe a bit disappointed in it so far.

Combat seems like it should be fun, but far too many enemies just don't seem to be very well balanced around it, resulting in a lot of high speed enemies that get multiple turns in between your actions and then evade or glance most of your attacks. Maybe it'll be better after some grinding, but that is also going painfully slow at the moment. I also like the idea of the talent board in it being a hybrid of FFX's sphere grid and FFXII's license board, but the items to use on it seem like they are a lot harder to come by than they should be.

Maybe some of that stuff will get better as I get further in, but it's not really giving me a good impression so far. Setting is cool, though.

So, I haven't been able to get into an RPG like this (outside of Pokemon) for ages..

But it was on Games with Gold, so why not? Needless to say, 10 hours later and I'm still hooked and having a blast. I really like it's handling of battles not being random, and kiting for experience bonuses. I can plan for big battles and get some nice exp without needing to grind aimless for ages. This game just works.

Dialog sucks, but the rest is a blast.. while simple, I'd love to see more games like it. Hell, I'd love to see more in the future that is a little more complex. It would be nice having chance to deconstruct items for ingredients in a future title.

Loving the game so far. Its pretty much exactly what i was expecting and hoping for. I will say one complaint i have has to do with a lack of clarity. Alot of the systems and mechanics of the game are only ever briefly explained. Additionally i did run into one issue with a side quest where i was told to search for something in a particular area. It said the thing i was searching for was in this region of the map (imagine a final fantasy style overworld with, lets say 7, zones and the quest was find x in zone 3) so naturally i went inside that instanced region of the map since the quest giver says its in thats region and not around it. Needless to say after roughly 45-60min searchin within the region, i gave up and checked near the region it said it was in on the overworld and i found the thing i was looking for. Thats was a tad frustrating because the particular region i was in is designed in a way where secret paths/zones can literally be around every corner and combing the whole region could potentially take hours..i guess that could just be my own nitpickery but i personally feel like the quest should have said its near region x and not in region x. Other then that i havent really had any other issues with the game excluding the odd framerate drops here and there but those arent significant enough to. really bother me, especially in this style of game.

Hexer06

I've put a few hours into this so far. Been looking forward to it for years now, which is probably why I'm maybe a bit disappointed in it so far.

Combat seems like it should be fun, but far too many enemies just don't seem to be very well balanced around it, resulting in a lot of high speed enemies that get multiple turns in between your actions and then evade or glance most of your attacks. Maybe it'll be better after some grinding, but that is also going painfully slow at the moment. I also like the idea of the talent board in it being a hybrid of FFX's sphere grid and FFXII's license board, but the items to use on it seem like they are a lot harder to come by than they should be.

Maybe some of that stuff will get better as I get further in, but it's not really giving me a good impression so far. Setting is cool, though.

I had that experience starting out as well. It's gotten a little better now, but man I'm getting owned by a boss now. The game has weird difficulty spikes for me. Just when I feel like I've got my characters where they do well in battle, something comes along to tear me down, lol.

Any good bond pair advice. I'm around lvl 14 with my characters, and am starting to feel very under-leveled.

I recently added
Pat
to the team, and need
to beat the magical tournament
to progress the story further. Both
Pat
and
Olia
are still level 10, and I'm not sure if it's worth grinding them up and swapping out party members.. I haven't played an RPG for a long time, so even a more simplistic meta-game like this can have me second guess my playstyle as soon as I hit a snag.

Canadian

Any good bond pair advice. I'm around lvl 14 with my characters, and am starting to feel very under-leveled.

I recently added
Pat
to the team, and need
to beat the magical tournament
to progress the story further. Both
Pat
and
Olia
are still level 10, and I'm not sure if it's worth grinding them up and swapping out party members.. I haven't played an RPG for a long time, so even a more simplistic meta-game like this can have me second guess my playstyle as soon as I hit a snag.

I leveled my characters to 15 and used Amon and Gnart together and Ive and Taika. I'd also recommend pulling smaller groups rather than trying to pull them all together.

danowat

Banned
It's fun when your ranged characters run out of ammo and you have flying enemies that you can't hit with melee attacks :-/

Here's the only full-fledged review I've managed to find: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cXjfTrfoBc

Summary: Good graphics & music, fun gameplay, average dialogue. Reviewer hadn't beaten the game at time of review but he estimates around 30 hours.

So, I haven't been able to get into an RPG like this (outside of Pokemon) for ages..

But it was on Games with Gold, so why not? Needless to say, 10 hours later and I'm still hooked and having a blast. I really like it's handling of battles not being random, and kiting for experience bonuses. I can plan for big battles and get some nice exp without needing to grind aimless for ages. This game just works.

Dialog sucks, but the rest is a blast.. while simple, I'd love to see more games like it. Hell, I'd love to see more in the future that is a little more complex. It would be nice having chance to deconstruct items for ingredients in a future title.

Nice. Looking forward to getting my PS4 copy when they send them out.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
It's fun when your ranged characters run out of ammo and you have flying enemies that you can't hit with melee attacks :-/

How far are you in? Just wait till later, when your ammo is too weak, and you have to spend hours in that damn garden to level up your plants to get better ammo. So much fun. /s

Canadian

How far are you in? Just wait till later, when your ammo is too weak, and you have to spend hours in that damn garden to level up your plants to get better ammo. So much fun. /s

Yeah, later in the game there definitely feels like some balance issues. Going to the garden and working to get ammo types shouldn't be a grind. I like the idea of having a base to come back to and grow but I don't want to feel as though I need to grind it in order to keep up with the main game.

Every fight can feel like a struggle which is good, however it's inconvenient to feel that I need to have a fully healed party to jump into a fight or else one wrong move and it's game over. That means I need to walk back to a warp stone, rest, and go back. If there was a more streamlined way of going back such as using a 'hearthstone' that healed you when warping back that would have been helpful. Something like in Diablo how you can teleport back to your home, take care of things quickly and then head back out. It acts as a good breather and way to break up the regular gameplay, however I wish it was just fined tuned a little better.

The story is really simple, bad guys do bad things, and it's up to you to take them out to save the day. It keeps things moving but it isn't as big of a hook as I was hoping.

Overall I'm still enjoying the game. The combat is fun, I enjoy the art style and what little dialogue there is I like. I'll have more thoughts on it when I'm done playing.

RM8

Wow, this looks fantastic. The art style stomps all over pretty much 99% of (actually Japanese) JRPGs IMHO. Plus it doesn't seem to be insanely long and it has good gameplay - it basically addresses all the issues I have with modern RPGs, I really want to play this.

danowat

Banned

Only about 1/3 of the way through.

Yeah, later in the game there definitely feels like some balance issues. Going to the garden and working to get ammo types shouldn't be a grind. I like the idea of having a base to come back to and grow but I don't want to feel as though I need to grind it in order to keep up with the main game.

The gardening is already a huge chore, so I can imagine I might have to dip out once it becomes too much of a burden.

Where can you buy seeds from?, they seem really rare, and more plants would make things a little more bearable.

Also, anyone else have some enemies clipping off the top of the screen?, some you can't see if you've targetted.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Every fight can feel like a struggle which is good, however it's inconvenient to feel that I need to have a fully healed party to jump into a fight or else one wrong move and it's game over. That means I need to walk back to a warp stone, rest, and go back. If there was a more streamlined way of going back such as using a 'hearthstone' that healed you when warping back that would have been helpful. Something like in Diablo how you can teleport back to your home, take care of things quickly and then head back out. It acts as a good breather and way to break up the regular gameplay, however I wish it was just fined tuned a little better.

The story is really simple, bad guys do bad things, and it's up to you to take them out to save the day. It keeps things moving but it isn't as big of a hook as I was hoping.

Overall I'm still enjoying the game. The combat is fun, I enjoy the art style and what little dialogue there is I like. I'll have more thoughts on it when I'm done playing.

The warping back and forth could easily have been better. I don't have an inherent problem with having to warp from certain points, but why do I have to warp back to the island before I can warp to a different location? I should be able to just warp from place to place. And being able to save anywhere on the world map would have made a huge difference.

I felt like the story started okay, but showed sign of a disappearing budget towards the end. Nothing gets developed and things just happen without you really having been given a good reason why.

Only about 1/3 of the way through.

The gardening is already a huge chore, so I can imagine I might have to dip out once it becomes too much of a burden.

Where can you buy seeds from?, they seem really rare, and more plants would make things a little more bearable.

Also, anyone else have some enemies clipping off the top of the screen?, some you can't see if you've targetted.

The gardening only gets worse. You can't buy any seeds, you get them at story points, and then you have to upgrade them. So, if you want better standard non-elemental ammo, you have to water and harvest the corresponding plant first so it levels up to level 3, then you have to keep harvesting until it mutates and gives you the seed of an improved plant. Then you have to level that plant to level 3, mutate it, and then you have the best version. It takes hours and what starts as a cosy little break from the main game, eventually ends up a huge chore. I really don't understand why they didn't develop this system further to include some automation later in the game.

The worst part of it is that you absolutely have to do this for ranged weapons to have any measurable effect on later enemies.

As for those enemies you can't see, they're probably too tall for the screen, or fliers. Just use the right stick to angle the camera a bit, and you should be able to see.

The odd thing is that I really want to like this game. It started off great, and it has some really good qualities. I like the combat, and the pairs system. I feel like it's not ready for full release yet. I hope they get to continue the series though, I really want to see where this could end up with some tweaks.

danowat

Banned
The game has started to grate on me a bit, the grind is real, I get that it's a WJRPG and grinding is part of the.........fun.......

But it just stops the game dead, get to boss, realise you're under leveled, grind battles, grind in the garden to get ammo and packs, grind battles, rinse and repeat.

Canadian

Has anyone been able to get a gold from the Suvia Tournament? I try to pull all the groups together but one of them always seems to get distracted from the 3rd round.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
It's out on Steam today.

Reading through the meager comments I've found the game seems to be a beautiful vista to run through but with mediocre and slightly repetitive gameplay.

I'd like to grab it, especially if this would help push them over the line and complete the "trilogy" that has been mentioned, but it's $30 and I still haven't bought I Am Setsuna nor the 300-odd games on my wishlist.

Really need more impressions before parting with the money.

danowat

Banned
It's out on Steam today.

Reading through the meager comments I've found the game seems to be a beautiful vista to run through but with mediocre and slightly repetitive gameplay.

I'd like to grab it, especially if this would help push them over the line and complete the "trilogy" that has been mentioned, but it's $30 and I still haven't bought I Am Setsuna nor the 300-odd games on my wishlist.

Really need more impressions before parting with the money.

It gets boring quick, there isn't much diversity, and the game just feels a little unfinished.

speedpop

That's a shame. I imagine the story & characterization isn't its strong suit?

Might be even more apparent after switching over from Dragon Quest 7 which is what I am afraid of.

Fuchsdh

That's a shame. I imagine the story & characterization isn't its strong suit?

Might be even more apparent after switching over from Dragon Quest 7 which is what I am afraid of.

At about 25% of the way through they start really demonstrating personalities, but given that nothing is voice-acted it's kind of hard to get into it. And yeah, I'd say the game got rushed—I get horrible frame drop and stutters when I'm farming plants, and there are little touches like the bad guy walking in from off screen—except you can see him the entire time in the corner.

Mostly what bothers me is that the menu system apparently requires going through the world map first.

The boss scaling is a bit weird—you can demolish regular looks up to that point but then the bosses consistently destroyed me unless I ground out another level or two beforehand, and I'd been fighting every enemy I encountered.

Enemy strengths and resistances are really not telegraphed well, you have to remember what the bestarium says rather than any onscreen feedback.

I'm playing this immediately after Child of Light, and while they are completely different style of RPGs I think the cleanliness of Child of Light makes Earthlock look worse; also, the fact that Child of Light lets you know exactly when enemies are going to hit and gives you a chance to stop it makes for a much more interesting battle metagame than fighting against enemies that will attack three, four, or five times for your single turns.

As a Games with Gold title? I'm enjoying it. Would never have paid full price for it, though.

Yeah that's my issue. I guess their response is that since it's so easy to make healing potions it shouldn't be a big deal to guzzle them down between fights but it seems bizarre to me that I can't use spells outside to heal people up, or anything besides taking 2 minutes of loading time just to heal the party.

Also, why in god's name can you target your allies for attacks and your enemies for buffs? It shouldn't even be an option, since the analog stick is fiddly for targeting anyhow and it's easy to accidentally toggle between the enemies and your party.

I completed it and I really enjoyed the experience I had with the game. It's slow paced and everything clicks after a while, but once you learn how to play with the talent system and combine different attack/defense strategies or party members depending on the enemy it plays great.
The story is really mid-tier, but If not the best jprg around at least does contain many of the things I like on the genre: no random encounters, challenging boss fights, bond system among party members, crafting system and not overly and unnecessarily long.
Really looking forward to hear about the 2nd and 3rd game already

And for those who wonder: even if it's going to be a trilogy, the ending of this one is firmly close. No unresolved plot or cliffhanger at all.

speedpop

Reineldinho's response is a bit more positive. Honestly I do not mind challenging bosses, however there is a limit to the amount of grind required - which is a current criticism leveled at the game.

Fou-Lu

I really like the look of this game, but reading impressions I am not sure I can justify the price. I'll make my decision after more reviews I think.

maxcriden

The game is still coming to Wii U - and - if it ends up coming to Switch, Wii U backers will get a free Switch code!

I would like to ensure you all that we are still working on the Wii U version. We did the first optimization pass in January and were very hopeful that we would be able to release the game soon after that. However during the Quality Assurance process afterwards, we concluded that it needed more work, and so here we are.

The Wii U version has gone through a full second optimization pass and is now in QA again. We are still working hard on getting it out ASAP, but having missed the estimated date in the last KS update, I'll just stick to the "as soon as possible".

Nintendo Switch

Many of our Wii U backers have been asking us if we can give them the option to instead choose a Switch version. If and when we release a Switch version we have decided that all Wii U backers will get both. So feel free to get your Wii U version as soon as it arrives!

(We will announce news about a possible Switch version at a later time.)

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...magic/posts/1865156?ref=backer_project_update

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...nd_when_earthlock_festival_of_magic_comes_to/ (via GoNintendo.com)

Tizoc

Game is on sale on Steam and Humblebundle for around $10.
Tempted to grab this but it just FEELS like it'll pop up in a bundle down the line and I don't plan on playing it anytime soon >_>

So. I was in on the kickstarter, and I opted for the PS4 version. I started playing pretty much right when the PS4 codes went out. I got pretty close to the end but a couple things happened: Started to get a little fatigue with the game, plus there isn't a save anywhere system, just at check points. You can run from most any battle...except bosses. So I was doing my final push towards max level for my characters (I'd already maxed out bond levels), when I accidentally got too close to an optional boss (the most difficult optional in the game). I was not ready/prepped to fight said boss, and didn't really have a good tactic...said boss dropped my party in 3 rounds. So I lost about 1.5 hour of progress. That had happened a couple times playing this game, so it kind of knocked the wind out of my sails. I put the game down and played other stuff.

fast forward a few months (about a week ago at time of writing) and having finished Ori and the Blind Forest, and Cosmic Star Heroine (both of which I loved), I decided to try to pick up where I left off with Earthlock. Took about 30 minutes to get reacclimated to the combat system. I still had a pretty good idea what I needed to do next in the game, and my remaining side quests (last barnacle, last optional boss, get golds in the tournaments) and max my character levels. Just played a little conservatively, and after maybe 5 more hours of effort I did all of that and finished the game with all trophies.

Note that I do sometime put linier games down and come back to then later. I did the same thing with Legend of Dragoon. I was about 2/3rds through the game and got distracted by something. I came back to the game about a year later and finished it...yes, I still remembered what I was doing and what was going on in the story.

What did I think of the game? My main gripe is the losing of progress due to the limitations of check point saving. Otherwise, the story and dialogue is a bit blah. The characters are a bit cliché (I don't hold this against the game too much...this game is purposefully a throw back to PS2 era jRPGs after all). The game took me about 33 hours. It feels like it could of used a little more fleshing out of the story...even an hour or two more would have helped. I also wish the camera in combat could have been pulled out a little bit. Sometimes, when there are a lot of enemies on screen, it can get a little jumbled, and with really large enemies it can be difficult to see their bars.

That said, the combat is really good, can support several differing strategies, and has a nice flow to it. Seeing as this is the majority of the game, it helps a lot that this part of the game is good. There's a nice enemy variety, and a nice variety of character abilities to deal with different situations. The gardening/crafting systems are pretty good...nice set of extra abilities and not too complex to deal with. Soundtrack is understated, but really good. It reminds me of Yasunori Matusuda's soundtrack for Legaia 2 (A really subtle, understated, and underappreciated OST).

Another thought: Groups of PCs greater then what can be part of your active party. It really bugs me when your inactive members don't get experience. I feel it artificially forces more grinding (thus artificially lengthening the game...as an aside, thanks Robert, for not doing this with Cosmic Star Heroine. It was greatly appreciated). That said the level cap of 20 mitigates some of my gripes...you can't get too much character imbalance...the ultimate level cap prevents it.

I'd give this game a solid 8/10.

If Snowcastle were to make a sequel, I'd buy it in an instant, and I'd be happy to get in on any kickstarter they want to do.

Regiruler

It's out this week on Wii U, I'm amazed they've stuck with it. Practically every other wii u port had jumped ship, even some of the titles that you could download previews for!

EDIT: It's actually out now in the EU eshop, if I'm not mistaken. This week is NA.

fester

Banned
It's out this week on Wii U, I'm amazed they've stuck with it. Practically every other wii u port had jumped ship, even some of the titles that you could download previews for!

EDIT: It's actually out now in the EU eshop, if I'm not mistaken. This week is NA.

Wow, what a pleasant surprise. I had completely forgotten about this game and the Wii U version.

Recently picked this game back up after a long hiatus and man, I'm having a blast. Really makes me wonder why I ever put it down in the first place because it's scratching that classic JRPG itch big time.

Admittedly I'm still pretty early on but I'm really starting to feel like this game deserved a lot more recognition and love on release.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Recently picked this game back up after a long hiatus and man, I'm having a blast. Really makes me wonder why I ever put it down in the first place because it's scratching that classic JRPG itch big time.

Admittedly I'm still pretty early on but I'm really starting to feel like this game deserved a lot more recognition and love on release.

I thought the same for the first half or so. Just very enjoyable with a nice setting and great music. Then it took a nose dive and turned to shit. Maybe they've improved things with patches though.

Ricker

Started this when it was the free monthly game on the X1 and was enjoying it,until other games pushed it aside,should get back into it.

JP

I know this is an old thread but I don't think it was worth starting a new one but this appears to be free on the US PSN but only on the PS4.

The confusion about whether it is comes from the fact that I already own the UK version and that version is called Earthlock: Festival of Magic while the US version is just called Earthlock.

As I've downloaded them both I've checked and they have separate trophy lists with the UK version that I paid for having 26 trophies while the free US version has 35 trophies which are identical apart from having an extra 11 at the bottom of the list. I've started both games up and from what I can tell they are identical.

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, I often do, but from what I can see it looks like a free game to me. You may want to "buy" it while it's free...while we wait for somebody to correct my predictable stupidity.

NovumAngel

Banned
I know this is an old thread but I don't think it was worth starting a new one but this appears to be free on the US PSN but only on the PS4.

The confusion about whether it is comes from the fact that I already own the UK version and that version is called Earthlock: Festival of Magic while the US version is just called Earthlock.

As I've downloaded them both I've checked and they have separate trophy lists with the UK version that I paid for having 26 trophies while the free US version has 35 trophies which are identical apart from having an extra 11 at the bottom of the list. I've started both games up and from what I can tell they are identical.

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, I often do, but from what I can see it looks like a free game to me. You may want to "buy" it while it's free...while we wait for somebody to correct my predictable stupidity.
Since you've mentioned the separate regions my guess might be wrong, but they recently brought out an updated version of this game that owners of the original could get for free.
Again not sure if that's what this was but thought I'd take a guess anyway.

TFGB

The new version of Earthlock is apparently quite a bit different (hence the separate trophy lists) and the devs themselves have said that this is the game that the original Earthlock ‘should have been’.

They took all the criticism on board regarding the original Earthlock, created a new version, and so have offered it for free to those who purchased the original.

I never played the original, but will be getting the new version once I’ve finished with Ni No Kuni II as it looks right up my street.

The new Earthlock should’ve been released on the 20th March in the US and the 28th of March in the EU but not sure if those dates have been adhered to or not.

Last edited:

Graven

Does anyone who played the original and the new one, can point out what changes they made? i have my eyes on this game since it was first revealed via kickstarter.

Top Bottom