• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthquake in Japan Magnitude 9.0 (Japan ups nuke crisis to lvl7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
National Weather Service just released they expect damage on the California coast (and Oregon I believe).

Glad I'm inland enough. LA should be relatively okay, but they might get people away from the PCH located homes.

TheBez

I have family that lives in Santa Barbara right next to the ocean. They are on a cliff, but the cliff is directly over the ocean. Literally on top of it. How concerned should I be, should I call them and warn them waking them up in the process?

santi_yo said:
The top of the Tokyo Tower is BENT

255987602.jpg

http://twitpic.com/48epaq

Wow!

Korey

TheBez said:
I have family that lives in Santa Barbara right next to the ocean. They are on a cliff, but the cliff is directly over the ocean. Literally on top of it. How concerned should I be, should I call them and warn them waking them up in the process?
Probably not.

Eteric Rice

TheBez said:

I'd call just to see if they're okay.

Morn

Banned
TheBez said:
I shouldn't be that bad. They are saying 3 feet max.

TheBez said:

You shouldn't be concerned at all. It's going to be a minimal impact when it hits CA.

ajim

Speaking to my exgf in Taiwan right now on MSN, she lives in Taipei, shes saying no one is really worried - at least where shes located. But her family are located closer to the coastlines and are a little worried.

iavi

TheBez said:

Not. The waves won't even begin to touch that high from what I've been reading.

Mockingbird said:
It was my last day teaching at my school in Yokohama and school was just let out for grades 1-4. I was taking pics with some of the kids in the school yard when the earthshake happened. We didn't notice it at first but some teachers and students ran out from the school into the yard all of a sudden before I felt it. The whole time most of the kids were enjoying the quake -- saying it was like a roller coaster. I was watching the 5 floor school building the whole time -- worried about my laptop on the desk on the 1st floor.

I was raised through the Northridge earthquake though, so quakes never feel alarming.

anyways, had to walk home cause the trains aren't running. The hot water isn't working now either.

Another school teacher like me. Crazy how this happened on your last day of all things.

Hopefully hot water starts to work for you soon. Power is still out in my area. I don't want to stay at the inlaw's house tonight if I can help it. I want to sleep in my own bed. +

Branduil

teruterubozu said:
Yeah, you didn't see all those Japanese boats getting pushed inland and getting smashed to bits I guess.
Those boats were on the coast. In the open ocean you wouldn't be affected much.

I finally heard back from an old friend in Japan. I haven't talked to him since college (he was a transfer student). I didn't even know where specifically in Japan he was from. We aren't close (does that make it silly for me to worry?), but he still came to mind the moment I heard of the earthquake. I'm relieved to here he is okay. I hope more are so lucky.

Upsidedown Fuji said:
Another school teacher like me. Crazy how this happened on your last day of all things.

Hopefully hot water starts to work for you soon. Power is still out in my area. I don't want to stay at the inlaw's house tonight if I can help it. I want to sleep in my own bed. +

ah, power was out around the school's area but luckily for me, the area where I live has power (it's one-station down from where the school is.)

DanteFox

TheBez said:
I'm in Santa Barbara about a mile inland, and even I'm worried. I'd say either call them up now and tell them to keep an eye on the news OR wait and see how bad the pacific islands get hit and go from there.

adam.chance

Neo Member
Have a friend in Shinjuku I can't get a hold of. I am sure he is ok, but I am just curious how Shinjuku is? (I know Shinjuku is huge, but I don't know which part, so I am just looking for a general assessment).

Hope everyone is ok and makes it through this.

Morn

Banned
DanteFox said:
I'm in Santa Barbara about a mile inland, and even I'm worried. I'd say either call them up now and tell them to keep an eye on the news OR wait and see how bad the pacific islands get hit and go from there.
It's a 3 foot wave. We get bigger waves on good surf days.

plasmasd

Cheesemeister said:
J-GAF, checking in. That earthquake was really something else. All of the trains in Tokyo are stopped, so I'm stuck at work for the foreseeable future. I'm just glad it wasn't worse.

Hope you find a safe way home in the next few hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom