• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthquake in Japan Magnitude 9.0 (Japan ups nuke crisis to lvl7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

Honolulu Star Advertiser said:
The warning center said wave heights cannot be predicted, but the first wave may not be the largest.

Chip McCreary, director of the warning center, said the latest forecast models show "wave amplitudes of up to 2 meters (6 feet) beyond normal sea levels in Hawaii.

"What these waves look like is an elevation of sea level, where the sea level will rise above its normal level and stay high for 10 or 15 minutes before they recede," McCreary said, explaining the difference between tsunami and regular waves.

For those wondering about the difference between tsunami waves and normal, surfable waves.

DanteFox said:
I'm in Santa Barbara about a mile inland, and even I'm worried. I'd say either call them up now and tell them to keep an eye on the news OR wait and see how bad the pacific islands get hit and go from there.

I really wouldn't worry. They're always on the more cautious side. I doubt it will be 3 feet. I really doubt anyone will notice anything by the time it hits CA. It's not the first time we've been given tsunami warnings that resulted in pretty much nothing even despite some predictions of a couple feet.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Tsunami WARNING means a tsunami will happen. From San Francisco to Pt. Conception, Tsunami WARNING in place. Expect minor Coastal Flooding.

Arcipello

Hazaro said:
02qNE.png

kLHeh.png

h5Len.png

l2eqS.png

anyone got any decent links to footage of the huge explosion???

Morn

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
I really wouldn't worry. They're always on the more cautious side. I doubt it will be 3 feet. I really doubt anyone will notice anything by the time it hits CA. It's not the first time we've been given tsunami warnings that resulted in pretty much nothing even despite some predictions of a couple feet.
Exactly. People are starting to panic and they probably won't even notice anything when the wave hits.

Wario64 said:
Tsunami WARNING means a tsunami will happen. From San Francisco to Pt. Conception, Tsunami WARNING in place. Expect minor Coastal Flooding.

Hawaii got a Tsunami warning last year. Water receded but nothing happened. Let's not jump to conclusions here.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It is only now that I realize Vancouver is completely nestled in the protective bosom of Washington State and Vancouver Island....

besiktas1

Ughhhh I can't help it, but I'm genuinely getting more and more upset reading all this. Hope nothing bad comes from the powerplant fire :(

GCX

Al Jazeera is saying many small islands on the pacific could get totally submerged even by a small tsunami.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The impact to the states will be completely insignificant. Closer, Asian nations will be the ones will will get the brunt.

Dont worry about it guys. There's a lot of panic in here from US Gaf, but there's not a huge amount to worry about. You'll get something, but I wont be surprised if you dont even notice. Just pay attention to local news. You're in a relatively good position to other places.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Diario de Yucatán is saying that the waves could affect Mexico's Western Coast.

I'm from Mazatlán. I hope my family and friends hear this on time. :( My ex already knows at least.

EDIT: SHIT

Acapulco 10:15 am

Manzanillo 11:09 am

Socorro 11:19 am

Cabo San Lucas 11:49 am

Mazatlán 11:53 am

Punta Abrojos 12:56 am

Ensenada 14:16 am

West Coast Mexico GAF report please. :(

EatChildren said:
The impact to the states will be completely insignificant. Closer, Asian nations will be the ones will will get the brunt.

Dont worry about it guys. There's a lot of panic in here from US Gaf, but there's not a huge amount to worry about. You'll get something, but I wont be surprised if you dont even notice. Just pay attention to local news. You're in a relatively good position to other places.

US GAF includes Hawaii.

I wouldn't worry too much West-coast USA gaf. The tsunami won't be as bad as it was over in Sendai/Aomori for you guys. Probably might get some high water and even a little flooding but you won't be seeing boats floating down chinatown..this time.

clav

EatChildren said:

Yeah I actually agree with your assessment for the 48 states.

I would worry about tsunamis if an earthquake equivalent to this magnitude hit California. That's when you worry.

Korey

I'm in California. People in CA should really stop worrying and redirect your attention to the areas that might actually be affected by the tsunami.

The only action you need to take to "protect" yourself from the "tsunami" is to not be in the water tomorrow morning.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Man the cat picture has done me in, can't read any more.

All the best everyone.

Medalion

Banned
BocoDragon said:
It is only now that I realize Vancouver is completely nestled in the protective bosom of Washington State and Vancouver Island....
I am on Vancouver Island but facing away from the initial impact but somewhat near water... I am not sure if I should head out or stay put

Jswanko

Going to bed, live in bay area so I guess ill set my alarm for 7:30 to see whats changed. Good luck to all those affected and in danger, thoughts are with you.

AcridMeat

Banned
Korey said:
I'm in California. People in CA should really stop worrying and redirect your attention to the areas that might actually be affected by the tsunami.

My thoughts are still with friends in Hawaii and their family. :/

edit: As well as the fire at the nuclear power plant.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Fox says the US military in Japan is reporting all servicemen/women accounted for and no damage to facilities. Good news for the rescue and recovery effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom