• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthquake in Japan Magnitude 9.0 (Japan ups nuke crisis to lvl7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakitu

st5fu
Last night I was busy and I fell asleep only to find this out this morning.

This is absolutely horrible, what's going on lately? There seems to be a disaster every few months. I hope there aren't too many casualties but I've been catching up on footage on Sky News and it just looks horrifying. I'm speechless.

The cat picture also got to me :(

And now it seems Hawaii will have an impending tsunami and a nuclear power plant is on fire.

I never thought I'd wake up to this.

stilgar

Keyser Soze said:
From inside the airport

XCGBT.jpg

No words.

EatChildren said:
You know what I mean. Worry about Hawaii, but also worry about other places that too are at high risk. Mainland US need not worry too much, and while threads like this are a great source of news, they also run the risk of snowballing panic.

Just be alert. Thats all.

Oh I'm alert alright. 3 AM impact predicted for Hawaii.

Cuisino said:
flying in to Japan tomorrow...but I'm going to Osaka so I should be alright. at least.
insane what has happened, I feel really bad to my stomach...
Osaka should be fine. It wasn't close enough to the epicentre to make as much damage as you're seeing in Chiba, Sendai, and Aomori. Things may be rough if when you are there. Train operations and other things are going to be back up due to a lot of the infrastructure going to crap this afternoon. :(

iavi

VOOK said:
Man the cat picture has done me in, can't read any more.

All the best everyone.

It might be because I've never owned a pet, but I just don't get this. People are confirmed dead. Children might be dying. In relation, I couldn't care less about a cat.

ajim

How come the Philipines is getting a much larger hit of the Tsunami than Taiwan?

Really don't understand this shit :(

Shouta

Miri said:
It might be because I've never owned a pet, but I just don't get this. People are confirmed dead. Children might be dying. In relation, I couldn't care less about a cat.

Cat picture is not from this earthquake/tsunami.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Schrade said:
Get a long piece of metal, like a car antenna. Shake it side to side. See where it bends? That's what happened to the tower.
That doesn't make sense. A single beam of metal shaken side to side wouldn't bend easily, and it wouldn't bend at the tip.

More likely it's a pole in sections, and the top section simply came loose.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Miri said:

Symbolism

hirokazu

Hey guys I'm out at the moment. Just checking, no major issues in Kyoto right? My sister is there and I'm guessing since it's not near the quake and not near the coast, it should be alright?

I can reach her phone but it could be because I just texted my other sister and she's just called, I dunno.

Cuisino

Neo Member
Upsidedown Fuji said:
Osaka should be fine. It wasn't close enough to the epicentre to make as much damage as you're seeing in Chiba, Sendai, and Aomori. Things may be rough if when you are there. Train operations and other things are going to be back up due to a lot of the infrastructure going to crap this afternoon. :(

oh alright, thanks bro.

the japanese will fix this quickly, at least in tokyo/kanto region...but no one can fix the casualties. what a shame.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Those YouTube clips of the tsunami hitting, the whirlpool one, and the picture of the airport...my god.

Momar

aka Ryder
Two questions:

What is the explanation for the whirlpool? Anybody know anything about why that's happening exactly?

Might be stupid, but is Korea at all affected by this? It's pretty close to Japan, but is it being "blocked" by Japan?

Schrade

Miri said:
People can relate more to pets/animals sometimes because it brings the horribleness closer to home. They can envision their own pet being out there.

CiSTM

Banned
Megalodactyl said:
Can we get a source on the reuters story about the powerplant?
JP gov. has declared nuclear emergency at Onogowa nuclear plant. Something wrong with the coolers and fire breaking out. Still it's not much to worry, modern facilities are extremely safe.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Upsidedown Fuji said:

I'd have thought Chiba would be ok - is it mostly just the coastal areas? My wife's family is in Inage but we can't get in touch as landlines seem to be down. No real worry as its inland.

Ronok

My ex and my friend are both from Sendai. They both have family out there. Friends parents and ex's extended family. Haven't talked to my ex but my friend can't contact her parents atm. :(

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Momar said:
Might be stupid, but is Korea at all affected by this? It's pretty close to Japan, but is it being "blocked" by Japan?

I think it is blocked by the safety wall that is Japan. Been talking to people in Korea. They don't care and no one is worried.

SNSD is safe, don't worry!

Shouta

Vincent Alexander said:
Any clue where it is from? Though I guess it really doesn't matter.

If it isn't from this quake posters should edit them out.

It's from the torrential rains we had here in Japan awhile back, I think.

Guy on SkyNews says the fire at Nuclear Plant should not cause concern, as the fire is turbine related, and nowhere near the possible nasty bits. (I am paraphrasing).

Xyrmellon

So nothing hit Taiwan or it seems the Philippines...does that mean Hawaii is okay or does it mean all the energy shot due east??? Sorry I don't have a firm grasp on the tsunami stuff.

mrklaw said:
I'd have thought Chiba would be ok - is it mostly just the coastal areas? My wife's family is in Inage but we can't get in touch as landlines seem to be down. No real worry as its inland.
North-east Japan was hardest hit but Chiba got hit hard too apparently if you check out a few posts above about the Chiba refinery and disneyland flooding. Anyhow if you wifes family is inland they should be alright unless they live in an older area with old buildings. I hope they are safe.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Going to /a/ in order to get some escapism was stupid. They are bitching about their animu and mango being delayed and making awful Evangelion jokes regarding the issue.

Calling West Coast Mexico GAF again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom