• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthquake in Japan Magnitude 9.0 (Japan ups nuke crisis to lvl7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vincent Alexander said:
These are people trying to be funny (although failing at it). I didn't like it, but it is nowhere in comparison to Sammy wasting our time by trolling us when there are people out there who are seriously worried for others. Thank you for swift justice, mods.

Read their jokes out loud while watching the news feed of all the destruction.

That kind of stupidity shouldn't be tolerated.

Allard

StopMakingSense said:
It's not really Just a wave it's a three foot surge of water. Could cause damage on low laying areas.

Was about to say, Tsunami Waves are completely different then the normal tidal. Its basically water wall surge and the wave itself will have a ton more power then a normal wave If you are on the beach level you need to keep an eye out. It may not be life threatening, but it will still cause damage if you are on sea level during a surge, especially if you are near river.

Morn

Banned
Everyone in Tokyo Dineyland has to stay the night inside. They can't leave and there's no transportation outside.

Morn said:
Everyone in Tokyo Dineyland has to stay the night inside. They can't leave and there's no transportation outside.
yeah I saw that. The whole parking lot is flooded out. I'm surprised how far the water got there. Crazy stuff and that wasn't even the hardest hit area.

Krowley

StopMakingSense said:
It's not really Just a wave it's a three foot surge of water. Could cause damage on low laying areas.

Yeah, if i understand correctly, it's more like a 3 foot flood that goes inland pretty far with a lot of current behind it. That could be pretty damaging if it hit an entire coastline.

Also, I don't think their estimations are all that accurate, and it could potentially be worse or weaker.

cdyhybrid

Medalion said:
I am on Vancouver Island but facing away from the initial impact but somewhat near water... I am not sure if I should head out or stay put

Know nothing about Vancouver Island, but the gist I'm getting from radio and articles is that basically the water level will rise X feet very suddenly and stay there for 10-15 minutes until the entire "wave" is past. X being the "tsunami waves of X feet expected"

Morn said:

I'm sure it sucks under these circumstances, but normally that would be kinda cool. Makes sense though since you have to take a train to get there.

DryEyeRelief said:
Read their jokes out loud while watching the news feed of all the destruction.

That kind of stupidity shouldn't be tolerated.
Hey, I agree. I'm just saying if we had a stupid scale of 1-10, Sammy would hit about a 10, and those 3 somewhere between 7-9.

Schrade

Fox news and AlJazeera are both showing the HUGE surge wave.... good god

It was incredble seeing that wave moving out in the ocean and heading to land.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Schrade said:
Earthquakes shake things.
I guess a section of the tip could have come loose.

I was just thinking that it was literally "bent metal" and that just shouldn't happen. You'd expect the base of the tower to be bent before the tip.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
teruterubozu said:
Ah fuck. In Hawaii again for another tsunami fiasco.
Don't Worry, BJ Penn got this. CNN will call him again.

Take care Japan GAF, and I hope you guys are ok, and good luck to those stuck due to no train.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
teruterubozu said:
US GAF includes Hawaii.

You know what I mean. Worry about Hawaii, but also worry about other places that too are at high risk. Mainland US need not worry too much, and while threads like this are a great source of news, they also run the risk of snowballing panic.

Just be alert. Thats all.

From inside the airport

XCGBT.jpg

Cuisino

Neo Member
flying in to Japan tomorrow...but I'm going to Osaka so I should be alright. at least.
insane what has happened, I feel really bad to my stomach...

Schrade

BocoDragon said:

I was just thinking that it was literally "bent metal" and that just shouldn't happen. You'd expect the base of the tower to be bent before the tip.
Get a long piece of metal, like a car antenna. Shake it side to side. See where it bends? That's what happened to the tower.

Branduil

BocoDragon said:

Tall structures aren't designed to be completely rigid. They're meant to be flexible, but maybe it just flexed a little too far.

Southwest area of China (bordering to Myanmar) hit by aftershake(?). 18.000 houses/building complexes destroyed. 25 casualties confirmed - TV2 News

Edit: Fuck that was old news, happened a few days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom