• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthworm Jim 4 first look. Exclusively on Intellivision® Amico™

Chupanibre

Should have put their resources into making this game multiplatform instead of trying to shoehorn it in as an exclusive to a console that might actually perform worse than the Ouya.

By that, I mean forget about the Intellivision altogether and just go all-in on remaking EWJ.

Last edited:

Belmonte

I like the style a lot. Smooth animations also. I won't get a Intellivision Amico to play it since importing would be too expensive for me, but if this gets on PC, I will pick it up.

The background is too clean at the moment but it is expected since there are no enemies or collectables.

Fbh

Not much to go on, though it doesn't really seem to capture the visuals of the original.

If it ends up being good I look forward to the console and PC release when the Amico bombs.

The style of this trailer is the antithesis of the message.

LOL holy shit is that for real? It's not a parody?

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
LOL holy shit is that for real? It's not a parody?
Yeah but the details from the video are already out of date. It claims it will be under $200, but they only have a $250 and $300 model available.

The value proposition isn't bad to be honest - A virtual game platform that you know is family friendly with no fuss. Appeals to the Nintendo mindset that you buy it because you don't have to pay as much attention since it's safe for kids (which isn't actually true of Nintendo consoles). It doesn't look like it achieves that goal however.

reptilex

Banned
Looks really badly designed and uninspired. WTF do they keep massacring these great franchises instead of giving them to talented designers

JordanN

Banned
Looks really badly designed and uninspired. WTF do they keep massacring these great franchises instead of giving them to talented designers
Doug TenNapel (who made the first two games) is working on this.

In fact, it is the original team behind this.

In May 2019, a new Earthworm Jim game was announced by Intellivision Entertainment President and Earthworm Jim 1 and Earthworm Jim 2 composer Tommy Tallarico.[15] The game will be exclusive for the upcoming Intellivision Amico video game console, which is scheduled to release on October 10, 2020.[16] Members of the original development team involved with the project include Doug TenNapel (creator and voice actor), Tommy Tallarico (composer and sound designer), David Perry (programmer),[17] Nick Bruty (lead artist), Nicholas Jones (programmer), Tom Tanaka (level designer), Steve Crow (background artist),[17] Edward Schofield (animator), and Mike Dietz (animator).[18]

Last edited:

Ristifer

I think it looks fine. Interested to see more of the levels and what the art has to offer. Doesn’t really have that feel until he’s shooting or whipping his head around.

But yeah, the exclusivity is dumb as hell.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
CCtn.gif

I’m totally lost. Maybe someone can educate me. Why release this very old, probably forgotten franchise on an unknown, hyper-niche console instead of something more common or popular?

Last edited:
Yeah but the details from the video are already out of date. It claims it will be under $200, but they only have a $250 and $300 model available.

That's not the only thing out of date. No surprise, but it is now delayed until April 2021.

I have a strong feeling this will never come out.

Last edited:

the_master

This does not looo or feel like an Earth Worm Jim AT ALL.
They have added Jim, yeah weirdly animated and on a normal boring background that could belong to any casual cellphone game.

This game is suposed to be crazy weird, dudes!!!

Ristifer

They have added Jim, yeah weirdly animated and on a normal boring background that could belong to any casual cellphone game.

I think that’s kinda the whole point of it, though. It looks all normal and he’s running towards that Heck sign at the end. Should turn weird after that, which would’ve been nice to see.

John Day

Levels full of papers and typewriters kinds of crazy 🤣

SuperGooey

I guess it looks like that because it's cheap to produce, but it's like, is there no market for sick animation anymore? Disney won't even touch 2D anymore in film.

But I mean just look at the original art for the OG game, produced in the SNES era. Imagine a game that looked like this.

19d54bfeeff333a9b3f79292928cc66e.jpg

436979feabe0ff869dbf4807764528b7.jpg
You really expect 2D sprites to be this detailed? I mean, it would be sick as hell, but what kind of budget do you think an Earthworm Jim sequel has in 2020?

Also, the animation is great. Art style =/= animation. You don't have to like the art style, but the frame by frame animation based on that clip seems to be just as good as the OG games.

EDIT: What the hell is an Amico?

Last edited:

the_master

I think that’s kinda the whole point of it, though. It looks all normal and he’s running towards that Heck sign at the end. Should turn weird after that, which would’ve been nice to see.
I just found out about this console but seeing the presentation video (of the console) I would guess this game has either one infinite scrolling level or 3 simple levels. And very very simple gameplay.

Nymphae

Banned
You really expect 2D sprites to be this detailed? I mean, it would be sick as hell, but what kind of budget do you think an Earthworm Jim sequel has in 2020?

I'm not saying I expect it, but now and then would be nice and tbh I'd take the original games pixel art over this mundane vector stuff any day. Many 3D games get ridiculous graphical attention but off the top of my head I can't think of a single 2D game that has mindblowing art in the vein of that concept art. It's not like it all has to be painted with oils, there are some pretty talented digital artists out there and you'd think a few games here and there would shoot for the stars.

TaroYamada

The art style isn't as good as the OG games. I'd be interested otherwise -- and assuming it hits Steam eventually. I'd love for the IP to come back in a meaningful way. I actually thought The Gunk from the Xbox showcase would have made a good Earthworm Jim game in terms of art direction.

SuperGooey

I'm not saying I expect it, but now and then would be nice and tbh I'd take the original games pixel art over this mundane vector stuff any day. Many 3D games get ridiculous graphical attention but off the top of my head I can't think of a single 2D game that has mindblowing art in the vein of that concept art. It's not like it all has to be painted with oils, there are some pretty talented digital artists out there and you'd think a few games here and there would shoot for the stars.
Fair enough. I love pixel art. You can take basically the same sprite, but vectorize it, and it won't be as impressive to me. Even if the animation and artstyle is the same, the pixels give a "texture" that is just more appealing .

With that said, I think the vector sprites here are fine. Adding too much detail to the sprites may not allow them to be as readable against the backgrounds. I think the backgrounds is where most of the detail should go, and based on this footage, the backgrounds are at downgrade from the 16bit era games.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
and based on this footage, the backgrounds are at downgrade form the 16bit era games.

And that's sort of what I mean, it doesn't feel like 2D games have advanced at all, they're not pushing the envelope in the same way 3D does. I'm sure there are budgetary reasons for this but the heart wants what it wants lol. The best examples of 2D art are well behind us and it saddens me. Like yeah there is some impressive stuff here and there, I forget which thread it was but someone here was showing off some really cool 2D particle effects, reminded me of Dead Cells-esque graphics. Which looks cool, but I just want something that will knock my socks off once in a while instead of just settling for decent.

Last edited:

SuperGooey

And that's sort of what I mean, it doesn't feel like 2D games have advanced at all, they're not pushing the envelope in the same way 3D does. I'm sure there are budgetary reasons for this but the heart wants what it wants lol. The best examples of 2D art are well behind us and it saddens me. Like yeah there is some impressive stuff here and there, I forget which thread it was but someone here was showing off some really cool 2D particle effects, reminded me of Dead Cells-esque graphics. Which looks cool, but I just want something that will knock my socks off once in a while instead of just settling for decent.
You may be looking in the wrong places. It's mostly indy developers that are pushing/refining 2d/pixel art today. You should check these games out for amazing pixel art:

Then there is stuff like this, that is a weird mix of 2d and 3d that looks like nothing else:

As far as vector animation goes, BLUD is shaping up. Reminds me of a mix between Dexter's Lab, Power Puff Girls and Samurai Jack:

Last edited:

Agent X

Gold Member
I think it looks fine. Interested to see more of the levels and what the art has to offer. Doesn’t really have that feel until he’s shooting or whipping his head around.

I agree. What little they've shown so far looks very good. If this was on any other current platform, most people would happily accept an Earthworm Jim game that looked like this.

But yeah, the exclusivity is dumb as hell.

Intellivision Amico has some extremely stringent requirements on game exclusivity. They essentially want every game to be exclusive to the system. You cannot port existing games to the Amico (although sequels and spinoffs are acceptable), and you cannot port an Amico game to another platform.

Games like Braid, Limbo, Super Meat Boy, Downwell, and Hollow Knight would be very well suited to this system, but nope, not happening, because they exist on other platforms, and therefore cannot be exclusive.

Their policy also has the unfortunate effect of repelling virtually every promising indie developer, since they don't want to invest any serious effort into a game that must sell for under $10 and be contractually locked to an unproven niche system.

The reason why this game is being made for the Amico is because several members of the original EWJ are involved with the system., so it's easy for them to secure the license.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I know that we love the classic Earthworm Jim and stuff, but why so many of the same sound effects in like two seconds?

me0wish

It looks awesome, really love the animations. I just think it doesn't look grim and dark as others were expecting, but that will surely come later.

Lol at exclusivity.

Top Bottom