• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA's exclusivity of Porsche licence expiring this year, won't be renewed

Oneself

kazunori-yamauchi.jpg
This pic couldn't make more sense.

Fox Mulder

What a fucking waste the license has been. EAs arcade racing games have like four Porsches in them and no one else got to use anything until very recently.

forza porsche DLC packs had like 20 cars throughout Porsche's history.

How bummed do you think the people at RUF are at hearing this news?

Dudes basically got 20 years of free marketing because if this deal.

Dee Dee

If I had to venture a guess, Porsche missed out on a lot of good publicity having their cars represented by Ruf in games that are way better and way more popular than anything EA put out. It was probably a huge mistake on their part.

I am German and skimmed the article a bit, the interviewer makes it sound as if the Porsche guys are indeed a bit unhappy about this and how it made RUF popular.

One of the Porsche representatives also is quoted to have said that racing simulations are the new gateway into actual race car driving nowadays, making kart racing less relevant in comparison.

They do sound like they would like to get their name out in games more in this article.

Juicy Bob

Good. It's about time too.

I'm not much of a Porsche fan at all myself, but this is great news for all car and motorsport enthusiasts in gaming.

Momentary

Banned
The license expired months ago. It's like car blogging sites JUST got wind of this. Assetto Corsa announced their Porsche pack months ago because of this. Also PCARS2 has porsche already in the game as well.

How did Assetto get Porsche in their latest DLC's if the contract is not up yet? Deal with EA directly and they figured AC and EA racing games don't have much overlap in demographic?

Because it already happened months ago and there was a thread about it concerning Assetto Corsa. But it seemed like no one cared back then.

Awesome awesome news. It'll be nice to have Porsches represented in games again.

But also, let's give props to Microsoft and T10, who have paid a lot of money to EA because they wanted the brand in Forza so much. Forza 4 is still the best lineup of cars in a game, IMO, and it's because T10 helped bolster the lineup with Porsche.

Who cares about covers?

The point is that you'd think would an exclusive license that they'd do something with it. But they really didn't. I could at least understand why they purchased the license if they gave the brand special treatment with their games. But they treated Porsche like any other brand in the game.

The license expired months ago. It's like car blogging sites JUST got wind of this. Assetto Corsa announced their Porsche pack months ago because of this. Also PCARS2 has porsche already in the game as well.

Because it already happened months ago and there was a thread about it concerning Assetto Corsa. But it seemed like no one cared back then.

Was not aware, I'm well out the loop now, even have Assetto Corsa. I used to be up to date and visit the sim forums, one of the first to read those Porsche employee replies to questions years ago. Following rumours this is year the deal ends in 2010 ten year deal or whatever it was supposed to be, 2011, no no really guys its 2012.

Azzawon

We asked Porsche, just got official statement back:

http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/...EA+pierde+la+exclusiva,+mantiene+la+licencia/

Basically the exclusivity deal is over (mutually agreed), but EA will remain as premium partner for future racing games.

So yeah, doesn't seem there will be any exclusive to any game, as they mention how the industry is growing with many groups and audiences :)

Great writeup, thanks! Interesting how they say they remain as 'premium partner', does this mean EA get first call for any new vehicle Porsche may release?

CaVaYeRo

Nope, sorry but that's not accurate. At the Porsche x Assetto Corsa event in Vallelunga (Nov 18), both Kunos and Porsche specifically confirmed to us the license still belonged to EA:

http://www.gamereactor.es/grtv/?id=291143

It's just that Kunos and Porsche have been collaborating for years, developing together the Porsche pack for the last full year and also the AC sims installed at Porsche centers.

Top Bottom