• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

East Coast Throwdown | Fighting Game Tournament | May 18-19

Dahbomb

Nova/Spencer/Strange is too execution heavy for tournaments as far as Yipes is concerned. I definitely support using that team but if Yipes drops Vergil combos on a regular basis there is no way you can expect him to keep with FotF loops. Even at Yomacon he had to use easier combos to finish the job with the team as he was dropping the soap all too often. Besides Nemo is the defacto Nova/Spencer/Strange player. He promised tech saved up for EVO but I am pretty sure its the dead man wonderland glitch.

I am only interested in Yipes now if he drops Magneto and puts Strider on his Brotherhood team. His Magneto is not up to snuff and he needs a different assist in the meta game. Disruptor mix ups don't cut it anymore... even MastaCJ doesn't rely on it anymore. Flocker has finally done what everyone has been saying... pick Strider against Morrigan.

Yipes is done unless he gets his head back in the game again. Its bad enough he didn't win at Toryuken and got trounced in the Canada vs USA exhibition... but his tournament performance has been lackluster as of late.

The hunger isn't there, he is too busy playing COD to practice his combo and muscle memory. Dropped crucial combos and made unoptimized decisions. There is no doubt that at this point Flocker is a better Marvel player than Yipes.

It can change, Yipes at his best can beat any one of the gods (except for Justin, he has Yipes' number). He just needs to get over the Zero, Phoenix, Wolverine and Doom humps.

Haven't been paying much attention but I do recall not seeing much of him as of late.

Also i didn't know he went back to COD.

Rocwell

ECT really put on a great show this year. Great stream quality and the exhibition matches on Saturday were a lot of fun. F.Champ choking against Chris G after PR Rog throwing their match would have made it all worthwhile regardless. Flocker beating ChrisG was just icing on the cake.

Dahbomb

Ever since Yipes rejoined DA ARC he hasn't been the same.

Just sayin, is all.

#hithereKingItachi
Sounds about right. You can definitely see a sharp contrast in his performance before and after joining with EMP, I mean before he would actually make top 8 consistently. Of course no one can actually PROVE this but there is something going on here.

Grecco

Sounds about right. You can definitely see a sharp contrast in his performance before and after joining with EMP, I mean before he would actually make top 8 consistently. Of course no one can actually PROVE this but there is something going on here.

He even won summerjam vs chris g!

also i loved this top 8 was the most enjoyable so far this year. Of course i passed out after flux vs unknown and woke up at chris g vs fchamp so i missed the pr rog fchamp drama

Nova/Spencer/Strange is too execution heavy for tournaments as far as Yipes is concerned. I definitely support using that team but if Yipes drops Vergil combos on a regular basis there is no way you can expect him to keep with FotF loops. Even at Yomacon he had to use easier combos to finish the job with the team as he was dropping the soap all too often. Besides Nemo is the defacto Nova/Spencer/Strange player. He promised tech saved up for EVO but I am pretty sure its the dead man wonderland glitch.

I am only interested in Yipes now if he drops Magneto and puts Strider on his Brotherhood team. His Magneto is not up to snuff and he needs a different assist in the meta game. Disruptor mix ups don't cut it anymore... even MastaCJ doesn't rely on it anymore. Flocker has finally done what everyone has been saying... pick Strider against Morrigan.

I've been playing that team since Ultimate dropped and for a player like Yipes I don't see execution being a problem. The FoF loops isn't difficult to learn or master just like any other combo in this game.

Ghazi

Yipes should go MLG at Halo. All those Cold Showers he's had to use over his MvC3 career have to has to have payed off in his fps game skills. To this day I think they should patch in a ADS mode for all the characters with guns. Who's with me!?!?

Dahbomb

taken from the Fighting game weekly thread

https://twitter.com/NYChrisG/status/336331658326335491

not salty and gone to the lab.

this should be fun
A true Super Saiyan. Will come back stronger than before. Body everyone. Marvel goes back to being a dead game etc.

I've been playing that team since Ultimate dropped and for a player like Yipes I don't see execution being a problem. The FoF loops isn't difficult to learn or master just like any other combo in this game.
You are talking about a game where people drop crucial and easy combos like Wolverine DP into Fatal Claw (like PRRog did which prompted him to make a tweet). Easy combos still reign supreme. The stakes are way too high in this game when it comes to combo finishing and dropping. Yipes has trouble finishing Dante/Vergil combos at times especially when its in a clutch situation.

That said I have seen Nemo hit the combos near perfectly. There were statistics on his performance at KVO.. he didn't drop a single combo in top 8. So obviously its doable but it needs work and right now Yipes is not putting in the work.. hence why the team is beyond him for top level competition.

smurfx

get some go again
that champ team wasn't even new. he's been using it on fgtv for a while now. so many times it seems people are close to finally surpassing morridoom but then get destroyed at the next major.

that champ team wasn't even new. he's been using it on fgtv for a while now. so many times it seems people are close to finally surpassing morridoom but then get destroyed at the next major.
It's new in tournament play. All kinds of stuff goes down at FGTV. What matters is what the best players think is worth bringing to the table at a tournament.

gutabo

Cross posting from the weekly thread:
481684_532678606788250_869636511_n.jpg

He's lost to Flocker before and twice today.

I mean that historically, when someone beats ChrisG at a major, ChrisG tends to come prepared the next time they meet, and he runs it back convincingly. See when he lost to FChamp at Evo or Rog at SCR. But you bring up a good point, Flocker has a very good record of taking out god-level players including ChrisG. My guess is ChrisG is already scheming how he'll take out Flocker next time.

Zissou

Chris G should've tried starting Magneto. He was rarely able to set up his Morrigan zoning game, but with Mags, he could build two bars and then DHC into astral from magnetic shockwave pushing Zero to the opposite side of the screen and Chris would've been able to start filling the screen sou-sou-spam while the shockwave was still on screen. Hell, he could've started Vergil- I feel like his massive normals give Zero a lot of trouble.

Chris G should've tried starting Magneto. He was rarely able to set up his Morrigan zoning game, but with Mags, he could build two bars and then DHC into astral from magnetic shockwave pushing Zero to the opposite side of the screen and Chris would've been able to start filling the screen sou-sou-spam while the shockwave was still on screen. Hell, he could've started Vergil- I feel like his massive normals give Zero a lot of trouble.

Magneto was almost always second back when ChrisG used to play that team at Battle Circuit. When he pulls out a "random" team to counterpick someone, it's still a team and configuration that he has a lot of practice with.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Injustice finals were really hype. I don't know why people are bitching so much about the testers doing so well. The people who were testers are all top players who would've placed top 8 regardless.

TriForceGameMaster ‏@EMP_TriForce_GM 7m
I personally welcome @EternalFlocker to @EmpireArcadia "welcome to the dark side" pic.twitter.com/kKAsrHrzpR

That is the worst picture of Yipes I've ever seen.

vulva

Ended up missing grand finals for the most part other than flocker sending Chris g to losers. Any great matches (mainly ae or kof) I missed?

Injustice finals were really hype. I don't know why people are bitching so much about the testers doing so well. The people who were testers are all top players who would've placed top 8 regardless.
It was a legit issue back during Civil War cause the testers had more time with the game than anybody else, but at this point in Injustice's life (and especially after the patch) the advantage is negligible and it's just stream monsters being stream monsters.

I was really happy to see interactibles used and reacted to heavily in the top 8. Good shit.

JDdelphin

But you bring up a good point, Flocker has a very good record of taking out god-level players including ChrisG. My guess is ChrisG is already scheming how he'll take out Flocker next time.

That's true. It used to be Flocker's Zero and Phoenix could independently take out a whole team.

Now his Zero could take your whole team out, his Vergil could take your whole team out or his Strider could derp your whole team away...

There's not much you can do except not be touched clean by any of them- But considering ChrisG did as well as he did not using Vergil I'm interested to see what he comes up with and if Flocker can adapt.

Top Bottom