• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
love and respect. as long as you agree with us.

Don't be a baby people have given your points plenty of respect and engaged even agreed with them despite all the whining around it. Everyone is simply criticizing the tone some people take and rightfully so and still often followed by arguing the point people have made. If we'd all communicate your way this thread would just be snark and insults. Like see I didn't need to be so offensive making this statement as well but honestly it just felt appropriate this time to make the point.
------------------
On the Zelda video great indepth discussion but man Damiani you weren't kidding when you said you went a bit overboard with the production on this in your last stream. And this was a compromised version you said?
Guess that's the Zelda passion for ya.

Anaithsol

Neo Member
Have the guys mentioned if the anniversary event will at least be partly filmed to edit together into a video later?

I don't think it needs to be live streamed and it seems unfair to get upset that it isn't.

Here's a direct quote from their Patreon page:

We will be recording the event, but not live-streaming it. There may be live-streams going on at the venue that evening, but not of the show itself. Attendees are free to take pictures and shoot videos at the event, but we’ll be looking out for, and hopefully stopping, people setting up a permanent spot during the show to record the whole thing.

No confirmation in regards to a timeline for public or private release as far as I know.

I do hope there is a anniversary group stream or something as well. As an international ally, travelling to the show is close to impossible.

Would be nice to see something for the whole community to celebrate that together we have created this awesome thing

wiibomb

I do hope there is a anniversary group stream or something as well. As an international ally, travelling to the show is close to impossible.

Would be nice to see something for the whole community to celebrate that together we have created this awesome thing

I really wish they could do something like that, however I know it is very very difficult on the 21st because they will be completely focused on the show

arkon

Yeah, I'm going to disagree with this set of thinking. I find talking about the legitimacy of review choices is a good thing. Love & Respect to me doesn't mean gobbling every review and choice coming from the group without question. That said flame-baiting Allies isn't what it's about either. I think there's a sensible balance to be found there (leaving any harmful dialogue or intentions out, of course). And for the "Constructive Criticism", while I technically would agree that this is always the best way to go about things, I have a feeling that anything of that nature would be twisted against the person debating anyways. A Catch 22 of "Leave EZA Alone" agenda, if you will.

In better news, I like that more discussion is being had on the potential of the BotW Expansion Pass. I'll be watching it shortly.

This is silly. First you talk about a sensible balance in discussions and then go on to insinuate underhandedness from the fanbase unable to handle constructive criticism levelled against EZA. That's hardly balanced or fair.

PepperedHam

Nah, dude.

The guys have repeatedly expressed they like criticism and plenty of people in this OT community provide it, and they provide it in a way that doesn't make them look and sound like entitled babies.

This thread is a huge bummer to read not because oh no people are criticizing the guys but because it devolves into posters straight up calling their operations amateur or questioning review credentials. We've even come full circle with the "Well I'm a Patron so I'm entitled to-" crap these last few pages.

What the fuck is it with this thread and the inability to understand how to properly deliver criticism?

The post about the Frame Trap camera? Pretty good post. Provided criticism while being respectful and giving examples. Nobody got on that guy's case because he had something to offer the conversation besides flame baiting with completely socially aloof responses. Criticism isn't the problem, it's the way certain people don't know how to talk to other human beings like they've never done it before.

Devolving the matter into "L&R except those who disagree" is terribly deconstructive and only makes you look worse, sorry dude.

wiibomb

L&R as long as you don't act like a jerk when you expose your points, I have been seen some of your arguments, and I could even agree with some of them, but of course not with such an attitude, it just doesn't benefit at all with that, nor it makes a good discussion environment

Remember the third word of that motto

Respect

Auctopus

This thread's bummed me out lately. :/ needs more L&R.

Pretty much why I'm taking a break from it. It's nothing to do with dissent opinions, I think that's good. It's the way some people in this thread have an inability to express themselves in a constructive way and seem to only be able to communicate rudely or aggressively.

Disagreements and concern can be expressed with love and respect but when we've got one of the Allies having to defend their fucking professional credentials when they've worked with GT for several years prior to EZA then it's time to take a step back.

I probably come across as over-apologetic to the Allies, like I think they can do no wrong and every decision they make is genius. I don't think that but I feel like I can express or communicate my concerns respectfully, without needing to bring personal insults or my damn patreon money in to it every time.

I'll probably be back when the new OT is ready.

luchadork

L&R as long as you don't act like a jerk when you expose your points, I have been seen some of your arguments, and I could even agree with some of them, but of course not with such an attitude, it just doesn't benefit at all with that, nor it makes a good discussion environment

Remember the third word of that motto

Respect

thats cool. i said it was an amateur move. and in return i've been called a baby, a savage, entitled, a whiner, a snark, and now a jerk lol

love and respect. as long as you agree with us. its honestly funny how you guys use that catch phrase to stifle conversation while ignoring your own hypocrisies.

but whatever whatever, i really dont give a fuck about that. i just want to be a part of the anniversary and so do heaps of other people. i maintain holding an exclusive event for your anniversary is not a great way to grow the brand or make money and is an amateur move. i offered criticism and also solutions. its never me just bashing on something. sometimes it feels like i'm the only one on here that advocates ways for eza to grow and expand beyond the audience they currently have. this place can be an echo chamber where people insist on eza being immune to criticism and spend so much energy to maintain the status quo.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
thats cool. i said it was an amateur move. and in return i've been called a baby, a savage, entitled, a whiner, a snark, and now a jerk lol

love and respect. as long as you agree with us. its honestly funny how you guys use that catch phrase to stifle conversation while ignoring your own hypocrisies.

but whatever whatever, i really dont give a fuck about that. i just want to be a part of the anniversary and so do heaps of other people. i maintain holding an exclusive event for your anniversary is not a great way to grow the brand or make money and is an amateur move. i offered criticism and also solutions. its never me just bashing on something. sometimes it feels like i'm the only one on here that advocates ways for eza to grow and expand beyond the audience they currently have. this place can be an echo chamber where people insist on eza being immune to criticism and spend so much energy to maintain the status quo.

Don't be a baby people have given your points plenty of respect and engaged even agreed with them despite all the whining around it. Everyone is simply criticizing the tone some people take and rightfully so and still often followed by arguing the point people have made. If we'd all communicate your way this thread would just be snark and insults. Like see I didn't need to be so offensive making this statement as well but honestly it just felt appropriate this time to make the point.

Sure mate.

To be fair a 4 stars on easy allies is excellent while the game got an "average" metacritic score so it is an outlier.

I'm more worried about the guy's reviewing process in general and in particularly when it comes to Nintendo and Zelda since, after having listened to him on podcasts, seeing his reviews etc he strikes me as someone who has full tunnel vision for Nintendo and that is absolutely fine but I don't actually have much faith in him being able to seperate it from writing a professional review (again when I think professionalism I don't think calling lightining a goddess in a review or his behaviour in the last podcast he was in).

That's not how statistics works. There were 82 reviews total, over 20 of them were the same or higher than his score. That's not an outlier, that's a quarter of the entire dataset. Just because the entire range of scores (plus Metacritic's weighting) resulted in a low average doesn't suddenly mean all those higher (and lower) reviews are wrong.

As for the rest, how on earth can you try to argue that he's not professional based on his podcast appearances and one line in a review, while completely ignoring Huber*? Seems to me like you just don't like him, which is fine but it doesn't mean you have to be a jerk to him or make up arguments to try to justify your dislike of him.

* Not criticising Huber, I trust him to be objective when it matters.

I'm wasting a precious few mins now during transferring some files to speak up here, which I really feel I shouldn't need to do but this crap keeps coming up and I'm getting tired of just blatant lies being said. You can give us constructive criticism and feedback all day long, we welcome it. But when you say "I don't trust Damiani with this review", you might as well just come out and say "I don't want Damiani at EZA". That's pretty much what you're saying. And quite frankly, that's the most not-L&R type thing you can say to any of us.

And because of a Star Fox Zero review?

I've been reviewing games for 15 years. I've had some of the best mentors who challenged me to go further and put more thought than ever into my analysis of games. I've been exposed to such a wide variety of games and reviewed them all in as fair of a manner as I can possibly imagine. I don't go nuts at press events, I refuse free shit almost always (the "almost" is only when they want us to have stuff to give away to fans/viewers as giveaway stuff, and even then I usually refuse those items), I don't get overly emotional on the outside in reaction to stuff during conferences because I trained myself to act in a professional manner. I was even worried at GT I was maybe being too generous to games overall one time and did an audit of my scores vs GameRankings/Metacritic averages and found out I am actually one of the harsher reviewers out there.

So when you question my professionalism on a whim and make wild accusations, I expect something better than the selective crap you pulled out of a hat.

Don't let it get you down, dude, I and plenty of others here think you do a fantastic job.

The last time I checked, "L&R" doesn't mean "I can be a jerk and face no backlash." That's "muh freedom of speech" logic.

If you post a reasonable argument, people will respond in a reasonable manner. It's not hard.

Vinc

I really can't wait for the studio to become a real thing. I wonder what they could do to stop the Patreon stagnation. Maybe E3 this year will really do it... but it didn't have much of an impact last year.

Amazing Horizon review btw. They're still actually the very best game reviewers out there.

I really can't wait for the studio to become a real thing. I wonder what they could do to stop the Patreon stagnation. Maybe E3 this year will really do it... but it didn't have much of an impact last year.
I've voiced this before but I would love for them to do a big huge 24 hour awareness stream trying to raise Patreon money

A stream where it's explicitly stated that instead of Twitch subs they're reading names of Patrons above a certain tier, setting mini goals for money raised during the stream on top of the established Patreon goals

If feasible set it up so the stream ends right as the payment period begins to minimize people scamming the system

This is a very bad way to word it, but it'd be like an Extra Life stream for themselves. Lol. A better comparison is Giant Bomb has a yearly streaming event where they try to get more subs.

(also having mentioned it, I'd also love to see a big Extra Life stream from EZA, I know they've mentioned they'd like to)

Amazing Horizon review btw. They're still actually the very best game reviewers out there.

If I remember correctly, E3 did earn them a ton of new Youtube subscribers (and probably Twitch followers too). It doesn't directly contribute money to the group but it does help get their name out there and grow their fanbase.

Can't wait to see the new Frametrap (it's being filmed today right?)

I haven't seen Brandon's review of Horizon (tbh, I don't watch most reviews due to fear of spoilers in most games) but I'm hoping that the frametrap talk on Horizon can hit a good point where I can listen in to make the wait for the game easier and not skip out on general discussion.

I realize the dollar amount hasn't let us hit that $40k goal, but it's really hard for me to consider it stagnation when we're at our highest number of patrons.

Also regarding "scamming" I really don't think it's a significant issue. People sign up and people drop out, often due to real financial circumstances. I don't think there's much to support the idea that people are pledging and withdrawing without the intent to pay.

I would like to do a telethon style stream sometime. Not sure if there's a great method of seeing Patreon pledging in real time though.

Man it'd be funny if all these people angry at the anniversary were $1 or $5 patrons.

I'm sorry but what does that matter?

If people donate any amount of their personal money towards helping the allies exist it should be celebrated, whether it's $1 or $1000

This community doesn't need to turn into a club of elitists depending on donating more than others :/

Also awesome to see them post here :) keep up the great work guys, regardless of missteps or such in people's opinions everyone makes mistakes sometimes and nothing can appeal to everyone. You guys do what keeps you happy and going and the audience will be there for it.

Why is it that you do the best you can to ignore the fact that people have issues with the tone of your posts and not necessarily your criticism itself? It's simply a tone that isn't welcome in this community and what's worse is that you know that. It makes it so incredibly easy to dismiss anything and everything you say, even if you have a valid point.

You think that by riling people up and sounding like an edgy teenager, your voice will be heard a lot more and people are actually going to give your criticism some attention. The problem that you conveniently ignore is that 90% of the discussion revolves around the tone of your posts, ignoring the points you're trying to make. How is this in any way or form helpful? You're draining other people's energy and waste their time by having nonsensical discussions on whether or not this thread is a circle jerk and you keep pretending that you have some sort of superiority over the others who disagree with you. e: If you want to deliver harsh, but fair criticism, read this post as an example. You could learn a thing or two from it.

To make matters worse is that you claim to do this in this thread for the best of EZA, pretending that you're the only one who cares about their success and growth, which makes your opinion somehow more important and valid and definitely needs to be heard and discussed. I hope you intend that to be insulting as well, because it is. You're not the only one who cares about these things and your opinion isn't more important than anyone else's in here.

And you know what? If you really, truly wanted your opinions on the things EZA does to be heard by the people who can actually change things, have a chance to change and form the business they're operating, then I can tell you for a fact that there are so many better ways to do that. Lets start with the Patreon platform. Depending on your Patreon level you could use the community comments, the Q&A sessions, questions for Cup of Jones or the Love & Respect section for the Podcast. Then you could send E-Mails to EZA in general, E-Mails for FrameTrap or write a simple letter to EZA. If that's not enough, you could also use Twitter or the YouTube comment section and maybe there are even more ways that I haven't tried yet. But I guarantee you, it's at the very least all going to be noticed by the Allies and sometimes they even respond to you, if you took your time to formulate it well enough.

But instead I get the feeling that you seek that instand gratification of quick responses to your posts by riling people up and annoy them in this community, all under the pretense that you care so incredibly much. Even though people have told you multiple times before, that the tone you choose to deliver your criticism is not welcome here. I don't know why you feel the need to do this, but I definitely don't have any love or respect for it and it seems like neither do others.

Karu

One thing to note with Damiani Zelda video: It's a partnership video (as in: There is someone from another community in the video, nothing "official" official). Those seem stupid and non-significant, but that the shit that spreads the word. That guy will probably tell his fans to check it out. I personally thought the discussion was worthwhile and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but even ignoring the content, it is certainly not a waste of time.

I realize the dollar amount hasn't let us hit that $40k goal, but it's really hard for me to consider it stagnation when we're at our highest number of patrons.

Also regarding "scamming" I really don't think it's a significant issue. People sign up and people drop out, often due to real financial circumstances. I don't think there's much to support the idea that people are pledging and withdrawing without the intent to pay.

I would like to do a telethon style stream sometime. Not sure if there's a great method of seeing Patreon pledging in real time though.
I wasn't insinuating that it's a problem currently, just as a precautionary measure in something like that where you're making pledges to get acknowledged while technically being fully able to cancel without repercussions. (plus, "scamming" aside it just allows you guys to have a bit more peace of mind with pledges vs. collecting them and waiting a couple of weeks hoping it stays). I'd like to give people the benefit of the doubt but the whole on-stream acknowledgement thing can bring out the worst sometimes

In regards to real time pledges.... maybe you have a refresh every 5/10 minutes or something? Would also give y'all the time to read out however many names show up each time.

luchadork

Why is it that you do the best you can to ignore the fact that people have issues with the tone of your posts and not necessarily your criticism itself? It's simply a tone that isn't welcome in this community and what's worse is that you know that. It makes it so incredibly easy to dismiss anything and everything you say, even if you have a valid point.

You think that by riling people up and sounding like an edgy teenager, your voice will be heard a lot more and people are actually going to give your criticism some attention. The problem that you conveniently ignore is that 90% of the discussion revolves around the tone of your posts, ignoring the points you're trying to make. How is this in any way or form helpful? You're draining other people's energy and waste their time by having nonsensical discussions on whether or not this thread is a circle jerk and you keep pretending that you have some sort of superiority over the others who disagree with you. e: If you want to deliver harsh, but fair criticism, read this post as an example. You could learn a thing or two from it.

To make matters worse is that you claim to do this in this thread for the best of EZA, pretending that you're the only one who cares about their success and growth, which makes your opinion somehow more important and valid and definitely needs to be heard and discussed. I hope you intend that to be insulting as well, because it is. You're not the only one who cares about these things and your opinion isn't more important than anyone else's in here.

And you know what? If you really, truly wanted your opinions on the things EZA does to be heard by the people who can actually change things, have a chance to change and form the business they're operating, then I can tell you for a fact that there are so many better ways to do that. Lets start with the Patreon platform. Depending on your Patreon level you could use the community comments, the Q&A sessions, questions for Cup of Jones or the Love & Respect section for the Podcast. Then you could send E-Mails to EZA in general, E-Mails for FrameTrap or write a simple letter to EZA. If that's not enough, you could also use Twitter or the YouTube comment section and maybe there are even more ways that I haven't tried yet. But I guarantee you, it's at the very least all going to be noticed by the Allies and sometimes they even respond to you, if you took your time to formulate it well enough.

But instead I get the feeling that you seek that instand gratification of quick responses to your posts by riling people up and annoy them in this community, all under the pretense that you care so incredibly much. Even though people have told you multiple times before, that the tone you choose to deliver your criticism is not welcome here. I don't know why you feel the need to do this, but I definitely don't have any love or respect for it and it seems like neither do others.

its possible. or it could be you guys are sensitive to criticism and the response has been completely disproportionate to what was actually said. feel free to point out the parts of my post that were so egregiously offensive that its driven you to write multiple paragraphs on how i delivered my feelings incorrectly for you.

its possible. or it could be you guys are sensitive to criticism and the response has been completely disproportionate to what was actually said. feel free to point out the parts of my post that were so egregiously offensive that its driven you to write multiple paragraphs on how i delivered my feelings incorrectly for you.
No we aren't sensitive to constructive criticism. See Mista Koo and P&B who often post a mix of what they like and don't and you get good engagements. Now you want an itemized list so you will just ignore and think being a shock edgy Internet poster is effective. So I'll just point to your gift tirade.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Ya gotta have a bit o smooth with the rough, m8. A tasty little biscuit into the bowl, a compliment, then ya kick the dog in the cooch. Too much cooch kicking for no reason in a short span of time though and that dogs gonna turn on ya good an proper. Biting. Gnawing. Horrible stuff. Love & Respect is all about biscuits and pinpoint military level precision punches on the dogs genitals, m8. Look here I go:

I really enjoyed the big first big EZA stream that went on for hours so I'd definitely like something like that with more Jackbox Party Pack 3 and random retro runs and so on in the big week. That in itself drove the Patreon frenzy, as did new actually desirable tiers to reach for. Too late to suggest now, but something like a big meetup should be its own thing rather than occupy the same space in time as the anniversary of your online Patreon funded streaming/video content business. A big old song and dance school play to entertain the 1% of globe trotting EZA fans or the usual LA circus can be a fun ol' draw but it might be failing to see the wood from the tree's a little bit. (look m8, thats the razz, pow, pow, out of nowhere shit-me-up! Got it right out me system, I won't even have to go and physically harm a canine for real tonight I bet)

Ya gotta have a bit o smooth with the rough, m8. A tasty little biscuit into the bowl, a compliment, then ya kick the dog in the cooch. Too much cooch kicking for no reason in a short span of time though and that dogs gonna turn on ya good an proper. Biting. Gnawing. Horrible stuff. Love & Respect is all about biscuits, m8. Look here I go:

I really enjoyed the big first big EZA stream that went on for hours so I'd definitely like something like that with more Jackbox Party Pack 3 and random retro runs and so on in the big week. That in itself drove the Patreon frenzy, as did new actually desirable tiers to reach for. Too late to suggest now, but something like a big meetup should be its own thing rather than occupy the same space in time as the anniversary of your online Patreon funded streaming/video content business. A big old song and dance school play to entertain the 1% of globe trotting EZA fans or the usual LA circus can be a fun ol' draw but it might be failing to see the wood from the tree's a little bit.(look m8, thats the razz, pow, pow, out of nowhere shit-me-up!)
I would love a super stream and I would want it on a weekend so people like me can consume it live and not be at work. Seems like a fun thing to do in July/August. Before the fall Rush, but after E3

sora87

They've gotta sort out their tiers and get some more attractive stuff in there. Also they really need to start getting more Game Sleuths done and out there, that'll bring in more viewers if it hits a consistent release schedule.

They've gotta sort out their tiers and get some more attractive stuff in there. Also they really need to start getting more Game Sleuths done and out there, that'll bring in more viewers if it hits a consistent release schedule.
I think 'consistent release schedule' would be my #1 (hopefully constructive) criticism of EZA. Felt like the lack thereof hurt Brandon Sun Kyle Moon, and similarly for things like game sleuth (and to a lesser extent, reviews, though it's, uh, hard for them to control when games release).

Engagement goes up when I/we have stuff to look forward to, and know when it's coming.

Take Don's Discount Gaming, for example. I'm hyped for tonight

jett

D-Member

if-you-run-into-assholes-all-day-youre-the-asshole.jpg

jett

D-Member
Waiting for someone to give a less obvious answer.

Then again I never played REmake, and I liked Demon's Souls a good deal better than Dark Souls.

jett

D-Member
lol Kyle trolling.

Or does Easy Allies just like games that play like absolute dogshit? Between Goldeneye and Mega Man Legends it sure feels that way. MML2 is better in every way. It even has dual analog control.

Dmax3901

I'm sorry but what does that matter?

If people donate any amount of their personal money towards helping the allies exist it should be celebrated, whether it's $1 or $1000

This community doesn't need to turn into a club of elitists depending on donating more than others :/

I was more referring to Luchadork and the like who are being a little over the top with their complaints about the concert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom