• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy/Reliable Way to get a PS5 (not at cost though)

fart town usa

Gold Member
Just ordered a PS5 off Newegg.com It cost like $920 total (taxes included).

Yea, it's almost double what it should be but Newegg allows you to utilize Zip Pay/Quad Pay (whatever it's called).

It splits the total into 4 payments, your card gets charged every two weeks, no paperwork, no interest. It's like lay away from back in the day but they ship it immediately.

Some people would say, "F that", and yea, I can see the reasoning. It is expensive. However, I have no interest in trying to find one at a local shop, getting logistics in order, etc. I also would rather spend money every two weeks versus paying $500+ at once. It also seems like it can be hard to find a PS5 for just $500 +taxes, seems like most are being sold in bundles and cost $700+.

So yea, you can go on Newegg right now and order one up and just pay every two weeks. I've never been denied the Zip Pay/Quad Pay route.

Just something to think about if you're absolutely dying for a PS5. It's probably USA only I'd imagine, though I could be wrong.

Funny thing about it, I only want the PS5 so I can get PS4 Pro visuals with PSVR, I don't really care about any of the nex-gen games available right now.
Tom Cruise Laughing GIF by JustViral

Last edited:
Don't sleep on Astro, Returnal or Ratchet and Clank. Demon's Souls remake is also fantastic if you like From games.

I guess it might be worth this cost to just put it all behind you once and for all. btw you need a dongle for PSVR on PS5.

fart town usa

Gold Member
"Paying double the RRP" isn't a new strategy for getting a PS5, you've been able to do that for 16 months
Clearly, but this is the only option I'm aware of where you don't have to pay everything up front and there also isn't any interest involved. It's not like you're getting an Amazon credit card where you might be hosed with interest down the road because you didn't pay it off fast enough.
So because the regular ps5s are being sold in bundles with accesories at $700, you instead decided to pay 900+ without the accesories? Alright then.
Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

I'm not saying it's the most ideal scenario but it's an easy process to go through if you're dying for a PS5.

Just wanted to share the option in case people weren't aware of it. If you think it's a bad deal, then don't buy it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Don't sleep on Astro, Returnal or Ratchet and Clank. Demon's Souls remake is also fantastic if you like From games.

I guess it might be worth this cost to just put it all behind you once and for all. btw you need a dongle for PSVR on PS5.
For sure, I'll definitely get Ratchet/Demon's Souls at some point. I'm too much of a filthy casual for Returnal.

Already got the dongle too, Sony sent it the other week, pretty cool that they do that.

NahaNago

I've seen it slightly cheaper on the walmart site. I'm just not spending more than the regular price of a ps5. I can wait and these games will cost less by the time I actually get a ps5.

fart town usa

Gold Member
920 dollars for a console thats gonna be outdated in a few years lmao
This doesn't even make sense.

But yea, it is expensive. I explained the rationale in my post. Clearly it's not the most ideal situation but it's an option and might appeal to some users. That's why I shared it. Not everyone has to go the expensive route. I'd rather just do it than try to track one down and deal with the process involved.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This doesn't even make sense.

But yea, it is expensive. I explained the rationale in my post. Clearly it's not the most ideal situation but it's an option and might appeal to some users. That's why I shared it. Not everyone has to go the expensive route. I'd rather just do it than try to track one down and deal with the process involved.

I just feel like if you can't afford $800 up-front on eBay you probably shouldn't be spending $230 a fortnight overpaying on a luxury item, this just seems like the worst possible approach

saintjules

Stock X with tax and fees is selling them at around $854.

In any event, if you have the opportunity to do bi-weekly installments and can afford it, why not?

There's still people out there holding onto their MSRP lunch money savings hoping to find one in store now. They'll probably keep waiting. I would have done what you did had I not found one at launch.

Last edited:

saintjules

920 dollars for a console thats gonna be outdated in a few years lmao

You say that, but PS4 is still kicking nearly approaching 10 years of the Console lifecycle. And with the recent State of Play there's even more games in the cross-gen space going into 2023.

No doubt the PS5 lifecycle has been extended due to what's going on these past 16 months.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I just feel like if you can't afford $800 up-front on eBay you probably shouldn't be spending $230 a fortnight overpaying on a luxury item, this just seems like the worst possible approach
It's like, I can save up the money over the course of 2 months and pay all at once. Or I can budget out accordingly and just get it shipped out right away. This is just an easier way, for me, to get it and be done with it. That 230 every two weeks isn't really going to affect me, I'll probably just eat out less and not even notice it.

Besides, my wife is on a Spyro Trilogy kick and I'm not gonna be a dick and demand my PS4 so I can play Elden Ring more. Now I can game in peace and give her my PS4.

Gamerguy84

I've seen a little online uptick of people paying more for them like the bundles through gamestop. Mostly for GT7 and some Elden Ring.

People that were holding out but couldn't take it anymore.

ckaneo

Best way to get a PS5 is to pay for a gamestop or walmart+ membership. Other then that get apps like hotstock and follow twitter accounts like Matt Swider

kiphalfton

Why would you pay $920 through Newegg if eBay has them for like $800…

Any time I’ve seen them on Facebook marketplace, they’re always less than eBay too. So yeah.

I think this post is for shits and giggles, and I hope you’re not serious. But then again if you’re dumb enough to pay scalper prices, you can’t be helped. If you feel like you NEED it that badly, I have no sympathy for you.

giphy.gif

Who would have thought that throwing money at a problem and paying double the price was the easy solution....Man, what has everyone else been doing all this time?!?

Neilg

Clearly, but this is the only option I'm aware of where you don't have to pay everything up front and there also isn't any interest involved.

lol there is interest involved you doofus. they've just rolled it in.
You dont get to say 'yeah i'm overpaying by $400, but at least there are no hidden charges' jesus christ

Yea, it's almost double what it should be but Newegg allows you to utilize Zip Pay/Quad Pay (whatever it's called).

It splits the total into 4 payments, your card gets charged every two weeks, no paperwork, no interest. It's like lay away from back in the day but they ship it immediately.

Some people would say, "F that", and yea, I can see the reasoning. It is expensive. However, I have no interest in trying to find one at a local shop, getting logistics in order, etc. I also would rather spend money every two weeks versus paying $500+ at once. It also seems like it can be hard to find a PS5 for just $500 +taxes, seems like most are being sold in bundles and cost $700+.

So yea, you can go on Newegg right now and order one up and just pay every two weeks. I've never been denied the Zip Pay/Quad Pay route.

Just something to think about if you're absolutely dying for a PS5. It's probably USA only I'd imagine, though I could be wrong.

Funny thing about it, I only want the PS5 so I can get PS4 Pro visuals with PSVR, I don't really care about any of the nex-gen games available right now.
9jqQdjI.gif

Last edited:

marquimvfs

It's like buying in Brazil. Except here we can pay in up to 12 monthly installments in any store with any credit card. Price is similar to the Brazilian msrp, too.

Last edited:
For sure, I'll definitely get Ratchet/Demon's Souls at some point. I'm too much of a filthy casual for Returnal.

Already got the dongle too, Sony sent it the other week, pretty cool that they do that.
I'm only past the first two bosses in Returnal and it's still worth every penny. It's like if Metroid had awesome graphics and dualsense features with the perfect 3rd person gameplay.

Last edited:

Fbh

It's like buying in Brazil. Except here we can pay in up to 12 monthly installments in any store with any credit card. Price is similar to the Brazilian msrp, too.

Man, it used to be great here in Chile but Sony just went full Brazil mode here too, $900 (tax included) is their new MSRP for the Ps5.

Found one of the few places here that's actually selling for that and not $1000+ but I can't bring myself to pay that much for a console that I know should be cheaper.
It's not even special tarif/taxes like in Brazil/Argentina. They just said fuck it and raised the price.

Has really deflated my excitement for gaming. Might end up going for a series X once it has more games since it's at least a more reasonable $700.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Subscribe to@ PS5stockalerts on twitter

i did that and I'd get alerts every couple days. One day it said one of the big box stores was going to have them online at a certain time the next day. I logged in and I got one. Pretty quick and easy.

sircaw

Banned
For people still looking, don't forget to sign up on the Sony website.

I got mine for £349, a diskless version, 2 weeks ago. It's the standard price, none of that x2 times bullshit or having to buy fromm scapers.

Last edited:
Clearly, but this is the only option I'm aware of where you don't have to pay everything up front and there also isn't any interest involved. It's not like you're getting an Amazon credit card where you might be hosed with interest down the road because you didn't pay it off fast enough.
If you can't afford to buy it for $600-$700 (with extra stuff) in one payment, you shouldn't be buying it for $900-$1000.

Saying it out loud, surely you realize how dumb this sounds. I'm shocked you're posting this asap idea to help others out

LOLCats

Banned
This post is shitty and newegg have shit all over your face, I'm sorry bro but fucking neweggs scammed you, there's something in your butt, they put something in your butt I think too

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

Mines under a dust cover….
Lol, good for you mate yo the shit
animation 2d GIF by Jake

Congrats OP enjoy your ps5,
what matters how much you spent to buy it? I don't get some Gaffers sometimes, reading the thread looks like you killed someone or stealed the thing lol

fart town usa

Gold Member
You just got had.

giphy.gif

Who would have thought that throwing money at a problem and paying double the price was the easy solution....Man, what has everyone else been doing all this time?!?

lol there is interest involved you doofus. they've just rolled it in.
You dont get to say 'yeah i'm overpaying by $400, but at least there are no hidden charges' jesus christ

Did you really suggest being able to buy a PS5 for nearly a $1,000 as a deal, since it's broken into four "easy" payments?

No wonder people are broke.

If you can't afford to buy it for $600-$700 (with extra stuff) in one payment, you shouldn't be buying it for $900-$1000.

Saying it out loud, surely you realize how dumb this sounds. I'm shocked you're posting this asap idea to help others out

Man they saw you coming. If you paid $900+ you did pay interest. All of it up front.

Where did I ever say that the price was a good deal? I've pointed out numerous times that it's expensive. It's in the thread title.

I can either save up money and get it off ebay 4-6 weeks from now for a similar price. Or I can buy it right now and just make payments every two weeks. It's the same thing. They're $1,000+ on Amazon and $850 on eBay. You add in shipping and it's the same price.

I'm not about to follow someone on twitter to try and get one locally/regionally for a $700+ bundle. You guys don't even know where I live, I can guarantee you there are no PS5s being stocked within a 10 hour radius of me. It'd end up being the same if I had to drive to a different state and fill up the tank x2. Besides, who knows if the situation will get worse in a few weeks and prices jump up even more.

It's a convenient albeit expensive way to get a PS5 and that's it. Nothing more to read into. Honestly disappointed that some of you are being such haters about it.

Captain Toad, you were one of my favorite posters.

Doctor Who Reaction GIF

Bluecondor

I feel like I am in the same boat as you OP.

While I would love to pay retail price for a PS5, I just know that there is (finally) going to be a time when a new game that I want is coming soon and I will decide to pay more for a PS5. Naturally, how much more I will ultimately have to pay will be driven by future circumstances (i.e. market price vs. how badly I want to play said game).

Right now, I would probably get one for $600 if that were possible, but just following StockX, we are nowhere near $600 (the current price on StockX is $743 for the Blu-Ray edition). If/when the price finally drops to around $575-$600, I will probably buy one (via StockX) just to shield myself from a future price increase for when I really want one. I would probably also get a PS5 bundle from Gamestop if it was reasonable.

It's funny, because I am in a similar situation with my car. I own my car (a 2016 Chevy Cruze - horrible car choice by me by the way), but it has had $2,750 in repairs (5 different things went wrong with the radiator/cooling system) in the past four months on a car that I have owned for 3 years but only has 45,000 miles. I am already anticipating another $2,000-$3,000 repair on the horizon at 60,000 miles or so (i.e. if I am seeing this at 40,000 miles, I can expect something substantial at 60,000 miles). At that point, I will have to decide if I want to pay the repair or just take a loss and buy another used car (i.e. NOT a Chevy Cruze). Similar to the PS5 market, the current market for used cars is absolutely horrible. That said, if I come across a decent used car at some point for say $15,000 that only has 20,000 miles on it, I have a feeling that I will bite the bullet. In this case, I won't be overpaying for the new (used) car, but I will be willingly taking a loss on the old one.

Top Bottom