• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eating at a buffet alone, is it weird?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i remember going to a dennis after driving around 8 hours from LA to SD (got one of those awesome 405 shitfests) and then they were fixing something around san onofre, so ...

but when i got to the dennis, i sat down, ordered some food, kinda stared out the window and the dude helping me with my order asked me "are you ok?" and i was like wtf yes i am, then he started making small chit chat and even a random lady came and sit to eat with me.

I felt miserable because of driving, not with myself :p

Denny's is often a "last stop."

Walpurgis

Banned
i remember going to a dennis after driving around 8 hours from LA to SD (got one of those awesome 405 shitfests) and then they were fixing something around san onofre, so ...

but when i got to the dennis, i sat down, ordered some food, kinda stared out the window and the dude helping me with my order asked me "are you ok?" and i was like wtf yes i am, then he started making small chit chat and even a random lady came and sit to eat with me.

I felt miserable because of driving, not with myself :p
giphy.gif

Gibbo

Nope. I've done it many times when I'm traveling alone. I usually just take the newspaper or tablet with me

styl3s

I imagine the same people who think this is weird also think eating by yourself anywhere or going to a movie alone is weird and it isn't weird at all.

Don't limit your life based on anxiety and what people think, people who as far as you are concerned don't exist to you. I'm glad i was forced early on in my life to not give a shit what strangers think and to just do me.

120v

you go to buffets because you're hungry. it's not an "event" like a fancy restaurant (and even then, dining out alone isn't that odd)

that's the last thing i'd feel weird about

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Who gives a shit.
Just judge everyone else inside harder than they would judge you and make sure you stare into their eyes as you eat without chewing to assert your dominance.

The only time I'd ever feel apprehensive about going to a place alone is if it were crowded/small and I'd have to take up a large table by my lonesome, potentially damaging their business if they don't flat out tell me 'naw'. Otherwise, who cares.

I remember, when I was I high school this really popular jock was criticized for watching movies alone. Like, no one else could fathom why he would see a movie by himself. Looking back I think he was probably a cinemaphile.

I really don't pay attention to what other people are doing in their booths.

Just don't steal my food off the buffet line when I'm eyeing it.

But people have to pay attention to you to know what you're eyeing and you have to pay attention to them so you can look at them in contempt when they steal your food. That's the joke, isn't it?

Oh and nothing wrong with going out to eat alone. I've done it plenty of times. Sometimes I just don't want to be around people.

Life of an introvert.

Astral Dog

No, i recommend just taking a dinning partner to a buffet, social construct rules are easy to get wrong. but dont be a buffon and eat with other people.

Velikost

No more weird than eating alone anywhere else.

If they have all you can eat soft serve ice cream the choice is obvious.

Lebron

The hell? It's only weird if you're one of those needy folks who always need someone with them or think everyone is watching them. No. One. Cares.

I have a GF but sometimes I eat at one by myself when I'm out doing my own thing.

bounchfx

why would it be any weirder than eating at any other restaurant alone?

it's not.

it's hilarious
but seriously it's fine to eat somewhere alone. Own it up, don't be self conscious over literally nothing.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I go to all you can eat Sushi all the time and out eat families.

Fuck having someone to slow you down by talking

-_-

But people have to pay attention to you to know what you're eyeing and you have to pay attention to them so you can look at them in contempt when they steal your food. That's the joke, isn't it?

Thankfully I haven't run into this situation with frog legs.

I don't think anyone eating at a buffet is paying attention to anyone else eating.

Pretty much, who's weirder, the person going to a buffet solo to eat, or the person going to a buffet to watch other people eat.

I'm more worried about eating alone in a place like Chili's, with a waiter and a menu, you know, a place family and friends go to.

Going to a buffet alone is only weird if you want it to be. Chinese buffets are especially popular to go to by oneself. I just wouldn't make a habit of it is all (for health reasons, not weirdness ones).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom