• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eating at a buffet alone, is it weird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
It is only as weird as eating at any restaurant alone.

And if you find eating at a restaurant alone weird you are likely either overly judgmental or overly sensitive to what other people think given the myriad of "normal" reasons people would do it (like the one in the OP!).

happypup

For me a buffet is functionally the same as fast food. I can go in, get all the food I want without any long waits, eat it, and be on my way. I don't consider them restaurants, maybe cafeterias or, like I said fast food, with a slightly different format.

So I don't think it is weird to go alone, buffets are not a dining experience, they are a 'fill my gut with food' experience.

Chinese buffet is fair game, IMO. Ditto Indian. Anything else is murky territory at best; stuff like Golden Corral (classic "American" cuisine) is only okay at lunch, and breakfast/brunch is right out.

Eating brunch alone is weird in general, actually. Which is a shame because brunch kicks ass and sometimes you can't find anyone to go with.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
yoJC2pg5f2YxxFw2pW.gif

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
If you're that worried do you have a laptop or a bunch of books or something?

Basically "set up" so it looks like you're working on stuff while you just chow down till the sun goes down.

FairyD

It is never weird to do anything on your own.

Bars, restaurants, buffets, couples massages, vacations, etc. enjoy yourself.

No.

I like to bring a book or two and mow down a few chapters while enjoying my food. Reading while I eat enhances the experience for me sometimes.

coy

I went to an Indian restaurant during their lunch buffet as I needed to kill time. I don't recall anyone giving me strange looks not that it'd make a difference. Go enjoy yourself.

I'm driving my brother to an oral surgeon because he has to get work done and can't drive home himself after the procedure. Going to have 2 hours to kill but don't want to be too far away in case something happens or they finish early. There is a Chinese buffet across the street from the place. So my question is this gaf, would it be strange to go to a buffet and eat alone?

who cares what other people think?

I go to a bar down the street from my house and get drunk by myself sometimes. This is probably considered much more weird than going out to eat by yourself.
I DGAF, its right down the street from my house. I take a 10 minute walk. Drink myself silly, have a good time, then walk my happy drunk ass home.

I go to a bar down the street from my house and get drunk by myself sometimes. This is probably considered much more weird than going out to eat by yourself.
I DGAF, its right down the street from my house. I take a 10 minute walk. Drink myself silly, have a good time, then walk my happy drunk ass home.

I've done this and it's fabulous.

But yeah OP, nothing to be concerned over. Bring a book, laptop, phone or something and enjoy yourself.

It's of the few sit-down places where it's not weird to go alone IMO. It would be weirder to gorge on all that food in front of a date or boss, don't you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom