• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ed Sheeran Sued Over Allegedly Copying Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathieran

Banned
First time I heard that song I heard it instantly. It's got the same bass line and vocal melody, and same chord progression I think. Haven't listened too closely, but the similarities are very striking.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I don't see it or hear it

Thinking out loud is better anyways

Don't hear it.

Thinking Out Loud is the better song.

JT0WpQw.gif

iamblades

I wouldn't even weep a single tear if Ed was banned from music and exiled to a remote island. But I'll defend him and any other artist from these kinds of lawsuits. Hope he wins out of principle.

^^

There are only so many chord progressions and rhythmic structures, and a good 80% of pop songs use the exact same ones.

Beyond the fact that it is fucking absurd that 40+ year old works of dead artists should still be protected by copyright at all.

I remember seeing/hearing that a while ago and being reminded of "Let's Get It On", surprised it took them two years because it's pretty blatant.

^^

There are only so many chord progressions and rhythmic structures, and a good 80% of pop songs use the exact same ones.

Beyond the fact that it is fucking absurd that 40+ year old works of dead artists should still be protected by copyright at all.
I won't argue against the copyright part, but the older I get, the more I don't like the argument that "There's only so many chords".

Yes, in western music there are only 12 notes in the chromatic scale. We use them to build intervals, in which three or more notes combined are called chords. Yes, in most Pop music, we tend to stick with just triads (which are groupings of three notes, the bare minimum needed to be called a chord). But there are so many ways to color a chord. There are major or minor chords, augmented and diminished and suspended. And that's just for triads. There are also extensions, adding a fourth, fifth, and perhaps even a sixth or seventh note to the chord. 6ths, 7ths, 9ths, 11ths and 13ths (and their raised and lowered variations) can add so much differentiation to any specific chord, not to mention that there are different substitution chords you can use depending on the situation. Yes, 9ths and above are mostly associated with Jazz, but you can use them anywhere in any genre. Adding them to Thinking Out Loud wouldn't change the overall feel to the song.

You could go to two different jazz shows, with two different bands. They each can have the exact same set list, the exact same songs. But each show could sound TOTALLY DIFFERENT. While the basic chords can be the same, the way they voice them, any extensions they use, any substitutions they play or rhythmic differentiation they may add can make you second guess that they were even the same song. Of course, if a singer is involved, they most likely will sing the same lyric, but they can sing the melody very different from one another as well.

Music is very malleable; otherwise, we would only be covering songs that were made hundreds of years ago. Just because Pop music producers don't want to expand the sound canvas they use doesn't mean that there is "Only so many chords" they can use.

iamblades

I won't argue against the copyright part, but the older I get, the more I don't like the argument that "There's only so many chords".

Yes, in western music there are only 12 notes in the chromatic scale. We use them to build intervals, in which three or more notes combined are called chords. Yes, in most Pop music, we tend to stick with just triads (which are groupings of three notes, the bare minimum needed to be called a chord). But there are so many ways to color a chord. There are major or minor chords, augmented and diminished and suspended. And that's just for triads. There are also extensions, adding a fourth, fifth, and perhaps even a sixth or seventh note to the chord. 6ths, 7ths, 9ths, 11ths and 13ths (and their raised and lowered variations) can add so much differentiation to any specific chord, not to mention that there are different substitution chords you can use depending on the situation. Yes, 9ths and above are mostly associated with Jazz, but you can use them anywhere in any genre. Adding them to Thinking Out Loud wouldn't change the overall feel to the song.

You could go to two different jazz shows, with two different bands. They each can have the exact same set list, the exact same songs. But each show could sound TOTALLY DIFFERENT. While the basic chords can be the same, the way they voice them, any extensions they use, any substitutions they play or rhythmic differentiation they may add can make you second guess that they were even the same song. Of course, if a singer is involved, they most likely will sing the same lyric, but they can sing the melody very different from one another as well.

Music is very malleable; otherwise, we would only be covering songs that were made hundreds of years ago. Just because Pop music producers don't want to expand the sound canvas they use doesn't mean that there is "Only so many chords" they can use.

I agree that there are way more possibilities than pop producers take advantage of(and I find most pop music intolerably boring), but I really doubt they are going to start putting augmented 7th chords in Rihanna or Katy Perry songs.

The point is that if we start considering the use of similar chord progressions infringement, then basically the entirety of radio pop music is going to be guilty of it.

The very first time I heard Thinking out Loud, I thought they paid to sample or interpolate "Let's Get It On".

LOL @ "Thinking out loud" being better than "Let's Get It On"

THE BEARD OF INCORRECT OPINIONS

...this fucking guy

Them's fighting words.

Never heard Sheeran's song, but I can say you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. We can step outside and fight over this. I'll brook no disrespect of Marvin's work.

First someone called the Total Remake superior, and now this. I don't know what's happening anymore.

Fight me nerds

Wouldn't expect this from Ed Sheeran.

Ed Sheeran is already being sued for 20 million over his hit, "Photograph,” with songwriter's Martin Harrington and Thomas Leonard claiming that the song is a “verbatim, note-for-note copying” of their 2009 song “Amazing,” which was released as a single by 2010’s “X-Factor” winner Matt Cardle.

The chorus in “Photograph” and “Amazing” share about 70% of notes, alleges the suit. The lawsuit makes the case that both the original composition by Harrington and Leonard and the recorded version by Cardle are too similar to “Photograph.”

“The songs’ similarities reach the very essence of the work,” states the complaint. “The similarities go beyond substantial, which is itself sufficient to establish copyright infringement, and are in fact striking. The similarity of words, vocal style, vocal melody, melody and rhythm are clear indicators, among other things, that ‘Photograph’ copies ‘Amazing.'”
Matt Cardle's "Amazing"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWtP_1lyghM

Ed Sheeran "Photograph"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSDgHBxUbVQ

JABEE

He even played it in concert emphasizing that the structure of the song is Let's Get it On.

Ed Sheeran and Pharrell lift constantly and they don't even do a great job of hiding it.

Listen to Ed Sheeran's Sing. It's a straight rip-off of Miss You by the Rolling Stones

He even played it in concert emphasizing that the structure of the song is Let's Get it On.

Ed Sheeran and Pharrell lift constantly and they don't even do a great job of hiding it.

Listen to Ed Sheeran's Sing. It's a straight rip-off of Miss You by the Rolling Stones

*Just listened*

Woah, you're right. Do I smell another lawsuit in the future?

Ed Sheeran "Sing"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlYcUqEPN58

The Rolling Stones "Miss You"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuRxXRuAz-I

I agree that there are way more possibilities than pop producers take advantage of(and I find most pop music intolerably boring), but I really doubt they are going to start putting augmented 7th chords in Rihanna or Katy Perry songs.

The point is that if we start considering the use of similar chord progressions infringement, then basically the entirety of radio pop music is going to be guilty of it.
But like I said in an earlier post, most Pop songs use the same basic chords, but it's easy to tell they aren't trying to imitate a certain song. They're just following the general trends of the genre. Blurred Lines and Thinking Out Loud in particular are doing something more than just aping a general chord progression. They are also aping the feel and rhythmic structure. They really sound like homages; like they were intending to make you think of this one specific older song. And in the case of Ed Sheeran, he himself plays both songs in a mash-up, making the case that he willingly knew as he wrote the song how similar it was to Let's Get It On.

In general I agree with you. Chord progressions aren't enough to sue on. But these songs have more than just chords in common. That's why I don't feel it's such an open and shut case to throw out of court. They would've been much better served to just change the song enough while writing it.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Lol, if you can't make songs with similar rhythm and chord progression to some other song that exists you basically can't make music anymore.

Isn't the whole point of music taking inspiration :( This is so heart breaking to see artists being sued over decade old tracks having a chord progression the same as theirs :(

Meier

Obnoxious. And no, Yahoo, it is not ironic or coincidental in any capacity that they hired the same lawyer.

The Argus

My sweet lord, they're similar but it's hardly worthy of a lawsuit. How does this detract from the value of Let's Get It On and the White estate? Weird that the family is doing this, Barry and the co-writer have already taken the stairway to heaven.

burgervan

I don't understand how people can't hear the similarities. Like...are you only listening to the vocals or something? I noticed it the first time I heard I heard Thinking Out Loud.

Koomaster

The idea that you can make money off the IP of a dead person is fucked.

If I remember correctly, some random dude owns the IP for Audrey Hepburn's image rights and he has made cash selling image rights for adverts etc. WTF do you really think that Audrey Hepburn would appreciate some cunt making cash literally over her dead body.
So as soon as a person dies, all their works should be free? Because someone somewhere is making money off of dead people's music/movies/etc.

As for the Audrey Hepburn thing; again, if no one owned the rights to her image, she could be used in adverts for every product imaginable and those people would be making money off her for free. How would you or other Hepburn fans feel about her selling vacuums, cigarettes, tvs, condoms, breakfast cereal, bras, etc.? Because if no one owned her image rights that's what you'd see.

That goes for everything, if nobody owned a dead person's works they could be used freely for anything without any sort of control. And again, the people using those works are profiting so you're right back at square one where someone is making money off a dead person's IPs.

guek

Banned
Melodically similar but not plagiarism. I'd be surprised if this isn't thrown out.

also lol at Thinking Out Loud being better. opinions.

DaRealMVP

Neo Member
Wait, so is the lawsuit here really about the copied chord progression? Not even the main vocal melody? There's no way you could get away with suing someone for having the same progression (well maybe but it's fucked up). Thousands of songs have the same progression. There really are only so many that sound good, and it should be especially fine if the texture of the chords sounds pretty different.

I was expecting a copy of the "I been feeling dowwwwwn baby" part. This is some ol bullshit.

Moze

Banned
They do sound similar, but this is common as hell and always has been. Some of the most famous songs of all time ripped off songs before them. Billie Jean ripped off a Hall and Oates song released just 2 years before it. It is petty to sue for this.

EDIT: Looking it up, it appears Hall and Oates ripped the baseline from The Doors lel.

Ed needs to find a new producer or new inspiration. 10 seconds in I heard the similarities. The ones who brought up the suit must be pretty confident. I would be too. Easy money.

Ripping off and asking/paying for permission to use parts of a song aren't mutually exclusive.

Korey

Guys, there is a straight up "mash up" track linked in here with both of the songs playing together, it's hard not to notice the similarities even without that.

They have a similar groove and tempo. That's about it?

The melodies, lyrics, content...aren't remotely similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom