• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ed Sheeran Sued Over Allegedly Copying Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, Marvin Gaye ripped off Curtis Mayfield
Not really. Outside of both being kinda slow, and the chords sharing the same rhythm, there really isn't anything similar. Different lyrics, melodies, background harmonies, key signature and chord progression. There's more dissimilar than similar.
This John Mayer song is a bigger rip off of that song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBIxScJ5rlY. It's so blatant I kind of hope it's just in homage to the original.

On topic, I'd say it sounds pretty similar.
This John Mayer song, however, does have the same chord progression. More similar, but it doesn't sound like they're trying to ape Curtis Mayfield. Different tempo and feel, different melody and lyrical content.

They have a similar groove and tempo. That's about it?

The melodies, lyrics, content...aren't remotely similar.
Look at my first post in this thread. There are plenty of things similar, though the melody and lyrics aren't.

Man, I'm reading the comments and even they think they sound completely different when it's so blatantly obvious.

Can people not actually hear the music?
Man, that's why I said this shouldn't be determined by the average listener. They just don't have the knowledge base in musical theory nor the trained ears to know what to listen for to hear the similarities (of lack thereof).

FyreWulff

Nope. Against this. There's owning a song and someone copying it, but a "style" I don't think should be protected at all.

Hell, most of the country genre would be fucking dead. A shitton of songs in that use exactly the same exact style bass line:

D5 A5 D5 A5 D5 A5 D5 A5 D5 A5 then do a climb down when the song's key shifts down and do a climb back up when the key shifts up

Ring of Fire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIBTg7q9oNc

Sin Wagon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD0B_4VZ7Zs

Boogie Woogie Choo Choo Train https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT8B13njzK0

On the Road Again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBN86y30Ufc

Mama Tried https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKuc4nfJByc

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
This is getting ridiculous. No matter what you make there's a good chance it will sound similar to something from the past. How many variations of beats and progressions are there?

SteveTR

I am baffled by the amount of people in this thread who don't hear even a slight similarity. It's there, you can't deny that.

I do think Ed Sheeran deliberately used the bassline as an homage or whatever. Either way, should have probably cleared it with the estate.

bomma_man

The blurred lines decision was fucking terrible. They didn't appeal it?

The awful chilling effect these kind of decisions can have is surely self evident. It's the in interests of public policy to make the capacity to recover extremely narrow - basically only in the case of literal sampling.

FyreWulff

I am baffled by the amount of people in this thread who don't hear even a slight similarity. It's there, you can't deny that.

I do think Ed Sheeran deliberately used the bassline as an homage or whatever. Either way, should have probably cleared it with the estate.

Nobody should have to clear with any estate to use components of the 12 Bar Blues for bass..

slow jam romantic music like this all evolved out of blues. They just slowed it way down and used the 10th and 11th bar as the base of the bass line.

Jonnax

Wow the amount of salt for people liking Thinking Out Loud more.

The song has 1.2 Billion views on YouTube and 700 million plays on Spotify. The odds are that a ton of people prefer it.

Nothus

They mentioned this on the radio yesterday and apparently Ed Sheeran used to do a mash up of Lets Get It On and his own track at his own concerts!
I mean, come on Ed, that's basically rubbing it in their faces. Almost like you wanted to get sued.

Nobody should care about this. "Let's Get It On" is over thirty years old. Copyright shouldn't last that long and anybody should be allowed to remake, reinterpret, or sample in whatever way they want without any restriction.

CloudWolf

Nobody should care about this. "Let's Get It On" is over thirty years old. Copyright shouldn't last that long and anybody should be allowed to remake, reinterpret, or sample in whatever way they want without any restriction.
Yeah, fuck those people who made something over 30 years ago, right? Seriously, copyright lasts long enough, 30 years is way too short for stuff to end up in public domain. Most people who made stuff 30 years ago are still alive, it would be unfair to just rob them of their royalties.

FyreWulff

Yeah, fuck those people who made something over 30 years ago, right? Seriously, copyright lasts long enough, 30 years is way too short for stuff to end up in public domain. Most people who made stuff 30 years ago are still alive, it would be unfair to just rob them of their royalties.

It started at 14 years with an option to renew for another 14 as long as you were still alive, in the US.

Mathematically, any revenue or benefit from a work after 30 years is already miniscule. You make more money off suing others. The work becomes worth more as a court document than inherently by itself.

By the way, a point a LOT of people miss is that if copyright expires, you can STILL make a profit off your work. You just no longer have the exclusive right to it anymore. Disney could still sell Snow White and The Seven Dwarves, and even sign an agreement with Target/Walmart/Best Buy/Amazon to where they agree to sell only official Disney copies, but they could'nt stop someone from editing, remixing, and basing new works off Snow White - much like Disney remixed, edited, and used Snow White herself from the public domain.

Booser

Shit. I knew it reminded me of something, couldn't put my finger on it though.

Count me in the minority that prefers Thinking Out Loud to Let's Get it On.

AxelFoley

Wow the amount of salt for people liking Thinking Out Loud more.

The song has 1.2 Billion views on YouTube and 700 million plays on Spotify. The odds are that a ton of people prefer it.

Yeah, Titanic is the highest grossing movie of all time. So that means The Godfather is shit compared to it, amirite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom