• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edgar Wright on his Ant-Man exit

Renekton

http://collider.com/edgar-wright-ant-man-exit-explained/

...it’s funny some people say, ‘Oh they’ve been working on it for eight years’ and that was somewhat true, but in that time I had made three movies so it wasn’t like I was working on it full time. But after The World’s End I did work on it for like a year, I was gonna make the movie. But then I was the writer-director on it and then they wanted to do a draft without me

Marvel regrouped, kept most of Wright’s cast, and hired director Peyton Reed to take over with Paul Rudd and Adam McKay rewriting the script

Sorry for the cherry-picking, but it seems to me Ant-Man's direction was mostly Rudd and McKay after all.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Funnily enough, the part that felt the most like an Edgar Wright movie (Luis' stories) wasn't even Wright's idea. Had me fooled.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Peyton Reed did a fantastic job....still wondering how Wright's version would have looked. But I'm still fairly certain we got the best Ant-Man we could. Fantastic film.

Now I am thinking about the Peyton Reed Fantastic Four film that never was. I thought talk at the time was making it set in the 60s and a lot like the style of Down With Love. That would have been a lot of fun.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Peyton Reed did a fantastic job....still wondering how Wright's version would have looked. But I'm still fairly certain we got the best Ant-Man we could. Fantastic film.

Agreed completely, I'm very glad they're bringing him back for Ant-Man and The Wasp.

Still hoping Ant-Man and Wasp opens with Michael Pena's character giving his own telling of everything that happened since the last Ant-Man. Just imagining a scene of Ultron talking with Pena's voice coming out.

A universe still exists somewhere in which Ant-Man is not just a good MCU film but a cult superhero classic, and they hired Wright for Spider-Man Homecoming.

Meaning we'd get a Spidey film with the action of World's End/Scott Pilgrim :(

A universe still exists somewhere in which Ant-Man is not just a good MCU film but a cult superhero classic, and they hired Wright for Spider-Man Homecoming.

Marvel can still hire Bradley Allan to choreograph the stunts and fight scenes. The man is awesome.

ITPLbiE.gif

Prompto

Banned

Also, we would have gotten Bill Pope back as a cinematographer on a Spidey film.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Not pointing the finger at anybody, but sometimes a public post history can show a massive DC bias, and hate for everything Marvel, including non MCU films like Logan.

Again not fingering anybody, and just going off GAF's own post history system.

Again not pointing the finger at anyone. Anonymous shit. Just going off a couple pages of public history.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Not pointing the finger at anybody, but sometimes a public post history can show a massive DC bias, and hate for everything Marvel, including non MCU films like Logan.

Again not fingering anybody, and just going off GAF's own post history system.

Can we get some context? Because no one's actually criticised Ant Man in this thread.

Yet there was still no recap of the events in Ant-Man. It can still happen.

And just imagine Pena's recap of the events of Civil War. Just going on like, "My boy Scott just whoopin' ass!"

I'd love this. Especially if they reveal he's telling it to Scott.

I enjoyed Ant-Man, but I definitely would have interested in Wright's take had it actually happened. Even if it had a failure, I'm sure it would have been an interesting failure. It was not meant to be though.

Makes sense. Those were the worst parts of the worst MCU movie.

Hot sizzling take we've got here.

It's weird because I was thinking today, "They should make an Ant-Man movie" but then this thread reminded me they already did. I don't know how, but I completely blanked on this movie's existence.

ezekial45

Banned
It worked out in the end, though. Ant-Man turned out pretty damn good and was a lot of fun. And of course, Edgar Wright's new movie is one of the top rated movies this year and will likely do well at the BO despite a crowded schedule.

So yeah, this probably the best thing to happen for both sides.

That's the third worst, only ahead of Ant Man and Incredible Hulk. Thor 1 and 2 are 4th and 5th worst respectively.
Edit: Ant Man is the only MCU movie I actively disliked though.
...the Hulk movies aren't part of the MCU.
Yes, I know Ross is in both The Incredible Hulk and Civil War.

It's not a hot take. I've been saying it since the movie came out. I've explained my reasons many times already and can do it again if desired.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Read threads before posting random shit? Again not aimed at anyone.

So you come in this thread, don't quote shit, and then start fights with people who aren't the people you were passive aggressively trying to pick fights with in the first place?

It's not a hot take. I've been saying it since the movie came out. I've explained my reasons many times already and can do it again if desired.

No need to defend shit. Poster is picking fights with everyone but you for some absurd reason.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
So you come in this thread, don't quote shit, and then start fights with people who aren't the people you were passive aggressively trying to pick fights with in the first place?

What are you talking about? You were wrong, I proved you wrong...and now you salty or something? No one's picking fights with anybody.

You trippin' and really angry. Chill out.

Being a bit passive aggressive. Nah, not a bit. Overly passive aggressive.

Why not just come right out and say what you are thinking instead of hiding behind vague posts.

You DC fans are really sensible. Just chill ok. There isn't any fight in this topic. Relax. BvS Director's cut is great and WW is Top 5 best superhero film of all times. Chiilllll.

A-V-B

Why would they want to do a draft without Edgar Wright? Dude's a great screenplay writer, especially since it works hand in hand with his direction.

Mariolee

Thought this was also interesting in the article

And the other important thing for me is almost the entirety of my crew who were gonna do that movie sort of left in solidarity, so it was really important to me to get another film going so I could kind of re-employ them all. So the funny thing about Baby Driver is it pretty much features all the [Heads of Department] who were gonna do the other movie with me.”

Most of the behind-the-scenes crew stuck with Wright as he moved on from Ant-Man to Baby Driver. Makes me wonder if anything similar happened with Lord and Miller, though I can't imagine it did considering they left in the middle of filming.

Top Bottom