• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edgar Wright on his Ant-Man exit

ZeoVGM

Banned
Funnily enough, the part that felt the most like an Edgar Wright movie (Luis' stories) wasn't even Wright's idea. Had me fooled.

I need Marvel Studios to add a Pixar-like short in the front of Infinity War Part II.

In it, Luis would recap the entire MCU from 2008 to 2019 in the same style as his stories in Ant-Man.

I need it.

Why would they want to do a draft without Edgar Wright? Dude's a great screenplay writer, especially since it works hand in hand with his direction.

Because they probably had things they wanted to add that he didn't. IIRC, a point of supposed contention was that they wanted a hook into the rest of the other movies written in and he didn't (probably the Falcon fight).

DeathyBoy

Banned
I need Marvel Studios to add a Pixar-like short in the front of Infinity War Part II.

In it, Luis would recap the entire MCU from 2008 to 2019 in the same style as his stories in Ant-Man.

I need it.

Heck yeah. I want to see Luis recapping "he killed my Mum" with a straight delivery.

Thought this was also interesting in the article

Most of the behind-the-scenes crew stuck with Wright as he moved on from Ant-Man to Baby Driver. Makes me wonder if anything similar happened with Lord and Miller, though I can't imagine it did considering they left in the middle of filming.

Makes me think of stories of Clint Eastwood keeping almost the same core behind the scenes crew for decades. He knows he can get other, younger talent for cheaper; and the crew knows they can move onto bigger and higher paying jobs. But they just work well together and like what they do, so they stick together.

I also remember one of the sticking points of Colbert taking the Late Show job was him keeping the same crew and staying based in NYC so they wouldn't have to move while still keeping their jobs.

Shaanyboi

Banned

I need it.
"There then came a day unlike any other, right? And like all of Earth's Mightiest Heroes were like 'Yo we should team up and fight evil' and everyone else got way jazzed up and were like 'Yeah man, we got some crazy Avengin' to do!'"

XAL

Peyton Reed did a fantastic job....still wondering how Wright's version would have looked. But I'm still fairly certain we got the best Ant-Man we could. Fantastic film.

Edgar Wright is one of the best living working directors on this planet.

He would have directed the living shit out of it.

But yeah what we got was pretty darn good.

Nothing that we haven't heard already when it happened, i was hoping for something more revelatory. I liked Reed's version alright, but the question about what it could have been like under Wright will always linger for me.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Ant-Man was awesome. Easily one of the top films in the MCU. Funny as hell, unique and with some of the best set pieces in any of the Marvel Studios films.

CloudWolf

Yeah, it was a real shame what happened. Ant-Man was okay, but nothing special. Just a run-of-the-mill MCU film. I'm sure if Wright and Cornish were still helming it, it would've been great.

Most of the behind-the-scenes crew stuck with Wright as he moved on from Ant-Man to Baby Driver. Makes me wonder if anything similar happened with Lord and Miller, though I can't imagine it did considering they left in the middle of filming.

Not just the behind-the-scenes crew. The original soundtrack composer also left when Wright and Cornish were fired and even Evangeline Lilly said that she was very close to leaving as soon as Wright walked out.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It was really, really good. That stuff with Thomas was brilliant.

I was so disappointed that Marvel "ruined" that scene in the trailer, only to have them surprise me by then having Thomas get big and break through the house. So damn funny.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I was so disappointed that Marvel "ruined" that scene in the trailer, only to have them surprise me by then having Thomas get big and break through the house. So damn funny.

I know, right?

And that smile on the big screen melts my heart. Ol' Thomas stealing an MCU film in 2015...

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I genuinely can't stand Edgar Wright's films, so I was glad he didn't make it. Ended up loving Ant-Man, one of my favourite MCU movies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I genuinely can't stand Edgar Wright's films, so I was glad he didn't make it. Ended up loving Ant-Man, one of my favourite MCU movies.

YjEWOtD.gif

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

Lol, that is such a great gif.

But yea, his movies are terrible. Every time someone so much as reaches for a doorknob, you get a series of quick zoom ins/outs, with annoying slow down and sound effects. Drives me fucking crazy.

Markitron

Lol. At first I thought it wasn't his fault, I thought maybe I didn't like his films because of my undying hatred of Simon Pegg, then I started watching Scott Pilgrim and had a headache within 20 minutes.

FWIW I am not one of those people that just hates on everything, I'm quite positive on most games/movies, I just can't stand his movies.

Yeah, he is being diplomatic.

Red and McKay themselves admitted the script they wrote after Wright left was tossed out, since they couldn't get it to work, so they went back to Wrights script.

They then included all the stuff Marvel were not allowing Wright to do, because for a while Marvel was not willing to allow their main character to be a thief and a felon. But between shooting started and Wright got fired, Guardians came out and showed an anti hero type character, thief type character is not a turn off or perceived as harmful content for children.

Antman was very good. But lets be real. Reed and McKay worked off a very good and polished Edgar Wright script, who also handpicked the whole cast, and also had already visualized all the action scenes. I give Edgar Wright far more credit for Antman than anyone else. If you look at Wrights batting average and resume, he is on the path to becoming a legit legend of cinema.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Lol. At first I thought it wasn't his fault, I thought maybe I didn't like his films because of my undying hatred of Simon Pegg, then I started watching Scott Pilgrim and had a headache within 20 minutes.

FWIW I am not one of those people that just hates on everything, I'm quite positive on most games/movies, I just can't stand his movies.

It's okay to be dead inside. It's fine. It's fine! It's fine.

It's fine...

Markitron

It's okay to be dead inside. It's fine. It's fine! It's fine.

It's fine...

I'd love nothing more to enjoy his films, people say such nice things about them, but I just can't. My hate list is actually quite short, it's more or less just:

Coldplay
Resident Evil 6
Chris Martin
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Simon Pegg
Edgar Wright movies
Coldplay again
Simon Pegg's annoying face
Coldplay fans.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'd love nothing more to enjoy his films, people say such nice things about them, but I just can't. My hate list is actually quite short, it's more or less just:

Coldplay
Resident Evil 6
Chris Martin
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Simon Pegg
Edgar Wright movies
Coldplay again
Simon Pegg's annoying face
Coldplay fans.

YOU MOTHERF--

*lunges*

NONE SHALL SPEAK ILL OF THAT TREASURE! NOBODY!!!

Damn shame that he had to leave the project. Didn't like the end product that much. There were fun moments and overall it was ok. But I really think with Wright and Cornish fully on board it could have been a classic superhero movie. Potentially the best even.

Eh at the end of the day it satisfied most fans of the mcu franchise and we got Baby Driver anyways so whatever.

I hope that regardless of how baby driver does in the box office that he gets to do whatever his next project is and so on. Man is killing it. 4/4 so far imo. always exciting to get something new from him to watch

Markitron

YOU MOTHERF--

*lunges*

NONE SHALL SPEAK ILL OF THAT TREASURE! NOBODY!!!

I'm sure it's a fine game, not what I want from a Banjo game though. If Nintendo turned Metroid Prime 4 into a Lego car game, I'd be just as upset, even if it was the best Lego car game of all time.

Doing a draft without him isn't a page one rewrite.
It might as well be when you're a writer-director whose script serves as the foundational blueprint for how you're going to structure the rest of the film in terms of editing and tone.

Having a singular voice is important to a lot of directors. A lot of great films are great because they have an undiluted, singular vision executed, rather than being hamstrung by other voices that muddy the water.

I wished we had gotten his version as the movie as is is forgettable as fuck I honestly can't remember what was the central conflict

jph139

It's a shame he just couldn't get it out earlier. If Ant-Man was ready for production in, say, 2010 - back during Phase One - I think he would have had a lot more creative freedom. At that point he'd be more of an architect for that corner of the MCU, rather than playing in someone else's sandbox.

The end result was... fine... but it's nestled nicely along with Doctor Strange and the Thor movies. Fun but mostly forgettable. With Wright it could have been something special.

jett

D-Member
Marvel are just dumb-dumbs. This could've been their one truly great movie.

The final movie totes the line of complete averageness, just like most of the MCU canon.

Edgar Wright: Hey I need to work on other movies
Marvel: OK
Wright: Hey I need more time
Marvel: OK, but since you took so long we're going to rewrite the movie a bit to fit our universe
Wright: No fuk u *leaves*
Crew: wtf we gotta quit too I guess

Zyae

but marvel fanboys told me he worked on it for 8 years and never knew what was going on and they had to move on

Marvel: OK, but since you took so long we're going to rewrite the movie a bit to fit our universe

Marvel: We want to include an Avenger cameo in your movie.
Wright: Uh, like Hulk?
Marvel: We're saving the Ant-Man and Hulk team up for a Coke ad.
Wright: Fine. Whatever. Anybody but Falcon.

As much as i am a big fan of Wright, this situation has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Im seriously surprised that Marvel were willing to put the film on hold for so many years to allow Wright to go and make the film for his dying friend. To me that shows a lot of class and empathy.

The fact that Wright couldnt seem to do the same compromise for Marvel is quite shitty in my mind.

Lunar15

I thought Ant-Man was pretty fun, but my mind will always play around with the idea of what an Edgar Wright Ant-Man would have been.

The core framework, regardless of who it came from, was a pretty great idea: Frame it as a heist movie with old Pym as a mentor to Lang. It made for an interesting setup for a marvel hero that probably never would have gotten his own movie otherwise.

Top Bottom