• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edgar Wright on his Ant-Man exit

Certinty

Well given how good the movie was it all worked out fairly well. Definitely in the top 5 MCU movies for me and one of the best action comedy movies I've seen.

As much as i am a big fan of Wright, this situation has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Im seriously surprised that Marvel were willing to put the film on hold for so many years to allow Wright to go and make the film for his dying friend. To me that shows a lot of class and empathy.

The fact that Wright couldnt seem to do the same compromise for Marvel is quite shitty in my mind.

"Put my film, that I brought to you and no one is expecting or hyped for, off for a few years" vs "Hey, change your film so you add some shitty MCU stuff--We don't care if it makes the final product worse" are two different things.

Sephzilla

I need Marvel Studios to add a Pixar-like short in the front of Infinity War Part II.

In it, Luis would recap the entire MCU from 2008 to 2019 in the same style as his stories in Ant-Man.

I need it.

Lped6Ia.gif

It's a shame, Edgar Wright could have only improved Ant Man. Outside of my girlfriend's insane laughing fit during the file-footage scene I found it to be a pretty dull film. They played it way too safe.

"Put my film, that I brought to you and no one is expecting or hyped for, off for a few years" vs "Hey, change your film so you add some shitty MCU stuff--We don't care if it makes the final product worse" are two different things.
While i appreciate that Ant Man wasnt well known and so the expectations are lower, the fact is Marvel changed their plans. at the height of their structured phases period, and put the film off for years for him.

If adding a few 'shitty MCU things' in are enough to make your film shit i think you have bigger problems than that.

Like i said, im a huge Wright fan but i just feel in this situation i actually have to side with Marvel. They didnt have to do any of the exceptions they did, in fact everyone would expect them to do the opposite yet apparently that wasnt enough for Wright to just play ball and fit his 6 years late film into a world that has evolved while he was gone making other films that marvel helped with.

I wished we had gotten his version as the movie as is is forgettable as fuck I honestly can't remember what was the central conflict

The central conflict was Darren Cross, Hank Pym's prodigy, trying to steal the Ant-Man technology to sell it for militarization purposes and make a name for himself. He was kinda crazy and extremely jealous of Scott for being taken under Pym's wing. He actually had more screen time and development than most Marvel villains so if you somehow missed this you probably weren't actually watching the movie.

It was a well put together film, as every MCU film is but it did absolutely nothing for me. Even Michael Pena barely managed to make me smile. Oh well, Peyton Reed is definitely better suited for the Marvel machine than Wright but it's impossible not to regret what could have been...

I wonder if Wright just feels burned by this type of production now or if he'll give it another shot one day. I mean... Sword of the Atom starring Ryan Choi. Or The Flash. Or Superman. Or Spidey. Give him fucking Arm Fall-Off Boy and I'll still be there day one.

NotLiquid

While it's fun to speculate about what Ant-Man could've been under Wright the fact that the movie did become such a breath of fresh air nonetheless and is up there as one of my favorite MCU movies should speak volumes to how Peyton Reed succeeded so well regardless. It could easily have been another Thor 2/Alan Taylor situation, which in retrospect, was probably only held alive by Marvel's executive meddling considering how Taylor went on to direct the abysmal Terminator Genisys

While i appreciate that Ant Man wasnt well known and so the expectations are lower, the fact is Marvel changed their plans. at the height of their structured phases period, and put the film off for years for him.

If adding a few 'shitty MCU things' in are enough to make your film shit i think you have bigger problems than that.

Like i said, im a huge Wright fan but i just feel in this situation i actually have to side with Marvel. They didnt have to do any of the exceptions they did, in fact everyone would expect them to do the opposite yet apparently that wasnt enough for Wright to just play ball and fit his 6 years late film into a world that has evolved while he was gone making other films that marvel helped with.

The scene with Falcon is one of my least favorite things in the current film. It's just completely pointless /aside/ from setting up Antman in Civil War . . . kinda. It's handled with little thought for the film's pacing or characters.

The scene with Falcon is one of my least favorite things in the current film. It's just completely pointless /aside/ from setting up Antman in Civil War . . . kinda. It's handled with little thought for the film's pacing or characters.
Funnily enough I really enjoyed it.

It was fun to see them interact but most importantly because it was a great way to show off Langs character, totally star struck and down to earth while he is there kicking an avengers ass.

Now I am thinking about the Peyton Reed Fantastic Four film that never was. I thought talk at the time was making it set in the 60s and a lot like the style of Down With Love. That would have been a lot of fun.
That actually sounds pretty great. I'd be all for more "period-set" super hero movies. Could diversify setting by not having everything set in the modern era and no have events so cluttered around, well, the modern era.

That actually sounds pretty great. I'd be all for more "period-set" super hero movies. Could diversify setting by not having everything set in the modern era and no have events so cluttered around, well, the modern era.

Ant-Man & the Wasp I hope will heavily feature flashbacks to Hank & Janet back in the day. I hope it's a story set in both eras.

I liked Ant-Man -- less than everybody else at the time, I felt, but apparently more than a lot of people on this thread! But it's better at being a comedy than being a caper film. I don't know if Wright's film would have been better or worse given the differences in approach with MCU. But I love his other movies and I am hyped for Baby Driver.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Yes the Michael Pena stories were Peyton Reeds idea.

He was the best thing in Ant Man, which was a cool film and EASILY the best thing in the Marvel Universe. I could watch a four hour compendium of his stupid pointless stories.

I'll always be conflicted about this whole situation. I really liked Ant-Man, but Wright is, no hyperbole, one of my top 3 favorite directors so I'll always have that hypothetical version of the movie in the back of my mind. I'm really curious to see what Reed does with Ant-Man & The Wasp.

Should have been Disintegration and it should have lasted longer (starting before they fell out of the chopper). :/

But Plainsong is the song that begins the album Disintegration. I know they skipped the slow build up at the beginning of the song, but it is still great that they got the correct song for that album.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I would have loved to see Wright's signature style on a Marvel film, definitely.

Thankfully the film ended up great anyway.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Unfortunately, I didn't much care for the movie. It's in my bottom five, alongside the Thors, The Incredible Hulk, and... I don't know what else. Iron Man 3, maybe.

Sorry if I derailed the thread early. I guess I was just frustrated because it's the only MCU movie I dislike and I loved Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. I know humor is subjective but the dialogue and acting really rubbed me the wrong way. It felt like when I watched Austin Powers 2 or My Favorite Marian in the theaters. At least the visuals were excellent. I'm hopeful for Baby Driver though.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Sorry if I derailed the thread early. I guess I was just frustrated because it's the only MCU movie I dislike and I loved Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. I know humor is subjective but the dialogue and acting really rubbed me the wrong way. It felt like when I watched Austin Powers 2 or My Favorite Marian in the theaters. At least the visuals were excellent. I'm hopeful for Baby Driver though.

It's OK bro. I like Dune unironically. So opinions can be wrong.

SomTervo

Luis' scenes had none of the energy or snap that Wright would have brought to the same thing.

Like, on paper they were great, and watching it you could see they half-nailed it, but it just wasn't fully there, the pace and cuts weren't driven all the way home.

Wright is a master of bringing out character, and these people just seemed pretty generic.

(I don't mean to slam the movie - I enjoyed it. But Wright would have been better.)

But Plainsong is the song that begins the album Disintegration. I know they skipped the slow build up at the beginning of the song, but it is still great that they got the correct song for that album.

I know, just would have preferred to hear Disintegration in that scene and they could have worked around it by it being a part of a mixed playlist instead of the full album. I felt like Plainsong didn't go well with the action on screen, but it's not a big deal.

Top Bottom