• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge 226 Reviews

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If they had more bigger games for retail, IMO Pilotwings would have made an awesome launch game for 3DSWare. I don't know how much content is actually in there, but a digital release for €15 would make the game a no-brainer for me. I really want the game, but €40 seems a bit rich.

And that's before one even considers the bigger picture argument of sending 'small games' out at €40 in a market where they're competing with small games at tiny prices. Surely the content has to back up the price for the premium market to remain, or will marketing and brand power just paper over this? Or is a really highly polished 'small game' worth €40 where an unpolished analog sells for €5 or less?

Anyway, I digress...

The Hermit

hsukardi said:
Always wanted to ask, who is this?

KFkKh.gif

I asked gogogw a bunch of times and he never answers me... :(

megamerican

I never understood the hype for Homefront. I kept hearing that it was like Half Life 2, but everything I saw made it look like another COD clone.

V_Arnold

DryEyeRelief said:
Since I play both: How so?

I am pretty sure most of us do play both. MVC 3 is pretty varied in itself, but after a few weeks, I can totally feel that the basic launcher combos and the a-b-c-s /stutt/OTG/stuff/Hyper backbone really does not make a distinction enough between characters :p But that might just be me.

V_Arnold said:
I am pretty sure most of us do play both. MVC 3 is pretty varied in itself, but after a few weeks, I can totally feel that the basic launcher combos and the a-b-c-s /stutt/OTG/stuff/Hyper backbone really does not make a distinction enough between characters :p But that might just be me.

What? The game revolves around OTGs. That's like complaining that SF has too many characters whose gameplan is to go for mixups after knockdown.

V_Arnold

DryEyeRelief said:
What? The game revolves around OTGs. That's like complaining that SF has too many characters whose gameplan is to go for mixups after knockdown.

Please read that as a "what you PUSH" flowchart. Same buttons. With almost all of the characters. Timing varies very little.

Awesome scores for Shogun, Bulletstorm and Dragon Age 2 (it deserved less though).

Cyborg said:
Hmm a 7 for Yakuza?

These guys use 1-10 scale. So that's a pretty good score for a 'more of the same' sequel.

Aaron

I'm really curious why they slammed Homefront, even if we're just talking about the single player. Seems harsher than normal from them.

PoliceCop

Banned
3DS launch line up sure looks turdy. Politewings and Steel Diver should have been packaged together. They could have called the collection "Boring".

-Policecop

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
gofreak said:
If they had more bigger games for retail, IMO Pilotwings would have made an awesome launch game for 3DSWare. I don't know how much content is actually in there, but a digital release for €15 would make the game a no-brainer for me. I really want the game, but €40 seems a bit rich.

And that's before one even considers the bigger picture argument of sending 'small games' out at €40 in a market where they're competing with small games at tiny prices. Surely the content has to back up the price for the premium market to remain, or will marketing and brand power just paper over this? Or is a really highly polished 'small game' worth €40 where an unpolished analog sells for €5 or less?

Anyway, I digress...
About the lack of content in Pilotwings: Ngamer said their team managed to get 85 out of 117 stars in Pilotwing's various missions in 1 hour 45 minutes.

So it seems they didn't 100% finish it by the time they reviewed it. Let's hope completing the game opens a hardcore mode or new challenges. Otherwise I'm not buying it at this price, no matter how polished it is.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Aaron said:
I'm really curious why they slammed Homefront, even if we're just talking about the single player. Seems harsher than normal from them.

Same here. From what I hear they didn't really mention much of the multiplayer though.

I just find it funny that Test Drive 2, with its game-breaking bugs and all, beat Homefront and Dragon Age 2. Just goes to show what different reviewers can do for a review scale.

Wizman23

Banned
Bulletstorm deserves its 9. If you are a fan of the FPS genre you have no excuse not to pick this up. I too thought the demo was garbage and loved every minute I spent with the actual game.

Mr_Zombie said:
Didn't they review a console version of DA:O? If so, then it's no surprise that the sequel got a higher score.

Well their complaints about the first DA had more to do with the setting/story/characterization moreso than the actual combat so their score wouldn't have changed much or even at all if they reviewed the PC version of DA:O.

Test Drive Unlimited 2 gets a 7?

For ambition maybe, not for execution. I ended up picking up Midnight Club LA instead since TDU2 left such a bad impression.

Vinci

Danish
gofreak said:

Anyway, I digress...

It depends, I guess, on how often you get to play Pilotwings type games and how much you want to play one. I don't think the pricing is off based on how rare such titles are.

NekoFever said:
Here's the cover:

cpKub.jpg
Nice cover. I cant wait for that game : (
I feel like edge are always extreme with their scores. I mean 9 for bulletstorm? really? I might actually pick it up when it gets cheaper. And I was hoping Homefront would get a better score. I guess it just another generic shooter :/

dyergram

Great issue so far havent been to put it down. I like the idea that nintendo are giving us pick up and play titles to start with to let our eyes get used to the screen also kind of expected bulletstorm to get a 7 tbh.

Always-honest said:
wow, it bulletstorm really that good? didn't like the demo much..

Yeah, I hated the demo and wrote the game off. But I respect EDGE more than any other site/mag combined and they are always the closest to my personal opinion of games so because of their score, I'll give Bulletstorm a second chance.

Top Bottom