• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge 226 Reviews

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
See that 9? No, not the one for that shooter, the boxing game or the next Total War iteration, but the one for a brilliant indie-game called SpaceChem.

I think it's well-deserved for one of the greatest puzzle games I've ever come across. Unfortunately, the official thread only has about 25 replies in it, while lesser games are on their 100th page. The game is so underappreciated that people don't even realise it exists, or so it seems. There is still time to make amends though.

Detox

Stumpokapow said:
I'm guessing that with respect to Homefront, they're reviewing the single player rather than the multiplayer, and their complaints are that the campaign doesn't do anything new and it's shockingly short-lived.

Yeah, they just got a bit on the side about the multiplayer. They describe the multiplayer as Battlefield meets COD - "a perfectly enjoyable - though hardly distinctive - experience."

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Primate Ryan said:
See that 9? No, not the one for that shooter, the boxing game or the next Total War iteration, but the one for a brilliant indie-game called SpaceChem.

I think it's well-deserved for one of the greatest puzzle games I've ever come across. Unfortunately, the official thread only has about 25 replies in it, while lesser games are on their 100th page. The game is so underappreciated that people don't even realise it exists, or so it seems. There is still time to make amends though.

I will seek forgiveness and make amends.

Seems that Edge really liked the changes to Dragon Age, well done Bioware.

And that's a great score for Shogun 2 even minus the bonus point for being made by a UK studio.

dock

Interesting and weird to see them review the Japanese release of Last Story. I suppose it is important and relevant, especially as it is being received so well in Japan. I just wish they would confirm it for the west. :(

1-D_FTW

Detox said:
Yeah, they just got a bit on the side about the multiplayer. They describe the multiplayer as Battlefield meets COD - "a perfectly enjoyable - though hardly distinctive - experience."

Makes it kind of worthless IMO. Aside from the oddball here and there, nobody is really anticipating this for the single-player. The game is going to sink or swim solely on multiplayer.

Primate Ryan said:

You got me to dl the demo. From there, it's up to the game to convince me.

mclem

Sohter.Nura said:
hrr?

The Last Story is releasing in Europe?

It's quite common for the more enthusiast magazines in EU to review imports. Not least because so much stuff doesn't make it to these shores.

Dabanton said:
The demo was awesome if you realised what the game was attempting to do.
Unless there was a deeper message i didn't pick up on, i thought the basic idea was pretty obvious. But i will have a look at some videos from the SP.

Ehh, I'm not worried about the Homefront score. All the impressions and previous reviews I've read about the campaign have been very positive. Sad thing is people will probably latch onto this 5 from Edge as the definitive judgment and ignore anything positive.

Riposte

Heavy said:
Ehh, I'm not worried about the Homefront score. All the impressions and previous reviews I've read about the campaign have been very positive. Sad thing is people will probably latch onto this 5 from Edge as the definitive judgment and ignore anything positive.

Out of every magazine and website, EDGE is the one I find most suspect. While IGN might be written (time to time) by dumb dudes giving bad reviews, EDGE writers seem to be trying to prove something half the time and is still no better for it. This was definitely the case with MvC3 review.

Corto

Total War: Shogun 2 seems to be a return to form! I need to play Bulletstorm, this high score from Edge sure is surprising. But from the PC screenshots thread the game sure is a looker. Shooter 2 and Motorstorm had great scores too, and SpaceChem I need to have a look at... I seems to be a must buy.

krYlon

Wow Edge must have been in a happy place this month. Pretty sure they've never given four 9s in one issue before.

Anyone know what they said about Last Guardian? Any new info?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I gotta get Shogun 2. The demo was so much fun and it seems to be getting great reviews.

Kind of disappointed to see Pilotwings get a 6 but it does seem like a rushed game from everything I seen. I hope I'm wrong, it's the only 3DS game I'm getting at launch.

AshMcCool

-WindYoshi- said:
That Pilotwings score is disappoint. Meh, i'll just disregard it as there is no way it will be below an 8 to me.

Did any pilotwings ever reviewed well? As far as I remember it has always been in this 7-8 range. I personally love it, but it's not for everybody.

herod

Riposte said:
Out of every magazine and website, EDGE is the one I find most suspect. While IGN might be written (time to time) by dumb dudes giving bad reviews, EDGE writers seem to be trying to prove something half the time and is still no better for it. This was definitely the case with MvC3 review.

Show us on the metacritic teddy bear where Edge touched you.

Detox

Game Analyst said:
Does anyone know why Pilotwings scored so low?

They say it looks lovely and is relaxing but there's not enough to see (Wuhu Island) and not enough to do.

Riposte said:

After spending years checking the reviews of many sites for games I'm interested in, I've found the only two outlets that have similar tastes to myself are EDGE and the Gamecentral guys (recommended for anyone interested in great reviews and features) who have close ties to EDGE as well.

Game Analyst said:
Not enough to do compared to what other game? Pilotwings is suppose to be lovely and relaxing!

Well they don't say but I assume that there's just not enough content - "It's disappointing then that you'll find its limits so quickly" "A miserly approach to content, and it comes close to spoiling the view."

Chaplain

Detox said:
They say it looks lovely and is relaxing but there's not enough to see (Wuhu Island) and not enough to do.

Not enough to do compared to what other game? Pilotwings is suppose to be lovely and relaxing!

AshMcCool said:
Did any pilotwings ever reviewed well? As far as I remember it has always been in this 7-8 range. I personally love it, but it's not for everybody.

Edge has historically given Pilotwings games '9' scores.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
AshMcCool said:
NGamer wrote the game is severely lacking in the content department, which would be an excellent reason to give it a low score. I love Pilotwings but I won't buy it full price if it can be 100% completed in a couple of days.

I'm surprised Edge reviewed Nintendogs and not SSF4, we will have to wait for their May issue then.

1-D_FTW

Detox said:

Which seems like a fair point. The magical thing about Pilotwings was just discovering all the cool little secrets in the different environments. For all the rumors of a Pilotwings on Gamecube, I wish they would have recycled those assets instead of Wuhu Island.

Jex

Acquiescence said:
7 for Yakuza 4?! Fuck right off.
Riposte said:
-WindYoshi- said:
That Pilotwings score is disappoint. Meh, i'll just disregard it as there is no way it will be below an 8 to me.
Classic EDGE thread material.

Those are some fairly high scoring games. I'm impressed.

Can't wait to pick up this issue because it's the features that interest me more than the reviews.

krYlon

Detox said:

After spending years checking the reviews of many sites for games I'm interested in, I've found the only two outlets that have similar tastes to myself are EDGE and the Gamecentral guys (recommended for anyone interested in great reviews and features) who have close ties to EDGE as well.

Ah Gamecentral, it's not the same not reading them on teletext :-(

3rdman

BattleMonkey said:
So they thinkg DA2 is better than 1?
I should have heeded their warning on the first one...It seems that they like the sequel a tad more but after the first game, they needed an 8 or more to get me to buy.

StuBurns

Banned
Acquiescence said:
7 for Yakuza 4?! Fuck right off.
I really don't understand posts like this.

Some surprising scores in there for me, the little I played of the Japanese version of T3B I really hated, but I was going to try the English release anyway so this has me a tad more hopeful.

Effect

marc^o^ said:
NGamer wrote the game is severely lacking in the content department, which would be an excellent reason to give it a low score. I love Pilotwings but I won't buy it full price if it can be 100% completed in a couple of days.

I'm surprised Edge reviewed Nintendogs and not SSF4, we will have to wait for their May issue then.
This is a concern about Steel Diver as well. The comments from Famitsu seem to suggest it's also lacking in the content department. If so I can see that being a reason it might get lower scores elsewhere as well. Which can allow one to assume that these titles (at least this and Pilotwings) could very well be tech demos and not full games they normally put out. Damn Nintendo. :(

Effect said:
This is a concern about Steel Diver as well. The comments from Famitsu seem to suggest it's also lacking in the content department. If so I can see that being a reason it might get lower scores elsewhere as well. Which can allow one to assume that these titles (at least this and Pilotwings) could very well be tech demos and not full games they normally put out. Damn Nintendo. :(

They should have delayed the games, especially Steel Diver, if they have these problems but I guess they wanted SOME Nintendo games at launch.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
They should have delayed the games, especially Steel Diver, if they have these problems but I guess they wanted SOME Nintendo games at launch.

Isnt that a launch title, I cant find any reviews on it. All these games with questionable amounts of content, still leave me in a state of not getting any games with the system when it comes, which will just be odd.

Dedication Through Light said:
Isnt that a launch title, I cant find any reviews on it. All these games with questionable amounts of content, still leave me in a state of not getting any games with the system when it comes, which will just be odd.

Steel Diver is a launch title(not in Japan though).

Peru

AlexMeloche said:
Only a 6 for Pilotwings? :(

Par for the course from Edge. We know it does nothing new except be in 3D, and we also know that it's going to please franchise fans. A 6 is basically "it is what it is, but well-made". The 8 from Eurogamer is more from the perspective of a Pilotwings fan, like you and I. So I'm content.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I'd say it's a 7. The game looks good and the whip/kick mechanic work great but the game doesn't really give you a reason to keep attempting new kills. You quickly rack up tons of points with nothing to spend them on.

This is wrong. Unless you're playing on baby-mode, there's always something useful to buy.

Top Bottom