• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE 234 - December 2011 - Skyward Sword, Uncharted 3, Dark Souls reviews

Wallach

AniHawk said:
game sounds okay, i guess.

lol

Seriously that is one of the most glowing reviews I have ever read. Part of me hopes they let the guy that reviewed UC3 over at IGN review Skyward Sword.

Oxx

Woo, no more typing. Hooray for copy+paste:

"As for those puzzles? How’s this for a statement of intent: not a single torch-lighting number, and only one push-the-box-on-the-button incident."

Excite.

Raging Spaniard said:
The magazine has awarded a 10/10 score to fourteen games:

Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64) - E35 (1996)
Gran Turismo (Sony PlayStation) - E55 (1997)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64) - E66 (1998)
Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox) - E105 (2001)
Half-Life 2 (Windows PC) - E143 (2004)
Halo 3 (Xbox 360) - E181 (2007)
The Orange Box (Windows PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360) - E182 (2007)
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) - E183 (2007)
Grand Theft Auto IV (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360) - E189 (2008)
LittleBigPlanet (PlayStation 3) - E195 (2008)
Bayonetta (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360) - E209 (2009)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii) - E215 (2010)
Rock Band 3 (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360) - E222 (2010)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii) - E234 (2011)

A couple of these are arguable, but its all excellent company.

Current gen grade inflation. Of those Halo 3, TOB, GTA4, Bayonetta, SMG2 and RB3 do not deserve 10/10. How is it that before the start of this gen there were just 5 games with perfect scores and this gen there are 9 bringing the total to 14.

My favourite line:

Edge said:
A reliance on riddles and cranking up ancient machines finds its treasure-hunting roots not in Wind Waker, but Indiana Jones. As cracked tablets lead to forgotten sanctums and mystic hymns stir memories in Link’s otherworldly aide, the hairs on the back of the neck bristle to salute a quest unique in its unabashed lack of irony. This is a game made for Christmas Day, released an agonising six weeks before.

FUUUUUUUUUUU

AniHawk

zomgbbqftw said:
Current gen grade inflation. Of those Halo 3, TOB, GTA4, Bayonetta, SMG2 and RB3 do not deserve 10/10. How is it that before the start of this gen there were just 5 games with perfect scores and this gen there are 9 bringing the total to 14.

the orange box is the best deal in gaming ever. the half-life 2 series, portal, and the best multiplayer game ever? and three of those hadn't been released at that point. fuck, i'd give it a 10/10 for the half-life games alone, but valve had to be even more awesome.

also, if smg got a 10, smg2 deserves one, since it's the better game. actually, smg is the one that doesn't deserve it, and smg2 does. i still scratch my head at smg's incredibly high praise.

the worst, most glaringest one is gta iv. that was part of one big collective lie on the industry's part, so i kinda give them a pass on it. rock band 3 is something i haven't played extensively, but it's more of a weird choice than something i outright disagree with- like thps3 getting a 10 from gamespot way back.

To be fair to them, RB3 is the definitive plastic guitar game, the apex of it all -- the Guitar Hero brand offered no retort, its a feature full game with a good tracklist, and it was well supported with different options, SKUs and DLC.

As a game amongst other games its not a 10/10, but compared to its peers in the genre? It probably is

My 10/10 games this generation have been The Orange Box and Super Mario Galaxy. I haven't played Batman AC yet.
spekkeh said:
Holy crap that review. Makes it sound like it's the penultimate Nintendo game.
I don't think that word means what you think it means.

spekkeh

Banned
The Friendly Monster said:
My 10/10 games this generation have been The Orange Box and Super Mario Galaxy. I haven't played Batman AC yet.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.
you're right, I hang my head in shame. (and edit my post)

LeoStenbuck said:
Regarding the upgrade system: I wonder Edge means when they say it gains traction once the credits roll?

Well they say the upgrade system is unusual in that its more likely something veteran collectors will take part in, but that it would benefit newbies the most because it makes the game easier having the upgrades... maybe after the credits roll theres a game+ mode with harder difficulty or something..

or maybe it lists your kit achievements or something or posts a pic including it all to your Message Board, sorta the way LTTP counted your Game Over screens!

AniHawk said:
the orange box is the best deal in gaming ever. the half-life 2 series, portal, and the best multiplayer game ever? and three of those hadn't been released at that point. fuck, i'd give it a 10/10 for the half-life games alone, but valve had to be even more awesome.

also, if smg got a 10, smg2 deserves one, since it's the better game. actually, smg is the one that doesn't deserve it, and smg2 does. i still scratch my head at smg's incredibly high praise.

the worst, most glaringest one is gta iv. that was part of one big collective lie on the industry's part, so i kinda give them a pass on it. rock band 3 is something i haven't played extensively, but it's more of a weird choice than something i outright disagree with- like thps3 getting a 10 from gamespot way back.

I would give the 10/10 to SMG because the concept and potential was there. SMG2 may have fulfilled that potential but it wasn't exciting. TOB is great value and I love it but only the PC version deserved 10/10. I would give LBP 10/10 because the concept was amazing, and while LBP2 is better in almost every way, it is not a 10/10 game. Weird how that works, I suppose it's the same as SMG.

However, the original premise that Edge have had the same grade inflation as every other magazine/website is surely true. There are many undeserving 10/10 games in there since 2006.

radioheadrule83 said:
Well they say the upgrade system is unusual in that its more likely something veteran collectors will take part in, but that it would benefit newbies the most because it makes the game easier having the upgrades... maybe after the credits roll theres a game+ mode with harder difficulty or something..

or maybe it lists your kit achievements or something or posts a pic including it all to your Message Board, sorta the way LTTP counted your Game Over screens!

Yeah, might be either of those.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
That Zelda review was AMAZING. The Wii has found its Yoshi's Island it seems, and this is already a machine that was graced with the beauty of two Mario Galaxy titles before it.

...actually that's a lot of damn good reviews for nearly everything else too. Christmas is going to be busy again this year.

Maybe, and I am just going out on a limb here but... maybe they thought those games are just amazing and for all the shit we've put up with this generation it's still been a wonderful time to be a gamer no matter what type of games you're in to?

zomgbbqftw said:

You are right. Bayonetta deserves an 11.

BurntPork

Banned
So SM3DL is the worst 3D Mario ever....

Well, looks like 3DS won't be going anywhere anytime soon. If MK7 doesn't make up for this, 3DS will have zero must-have games in its first year, making it the worst game system in over a decade.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
BurntPork said:

Well, looks like 3DS won't be going anywhere anytime soon. If MK7 doesn't make up for this, 3DS will have zero must-have games in its first year, making it the worst game system in over a decade.

Oh Christ.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
radioheadrule83 said:

You're right.

Skyward Sword has 2nd Quest and Boss Challenge modes

spekkeh

Banned
I feel like this gen is sort of the coming of age of videogames, where all games are sufficient from a technical standpoint to get a message across, and we can finally focus on that message. On the one hand that would mean more tens, because we no longer have to subtract points for missed potential in the graphical department, on the other hand you would expect less tens, because that message itself has been pretty mediocre so far. In practice, I think the scores of the first half of this generation should be ignored all together, because they were still scored with the previous gen's mindset.

SovanJedi said:
Maybe, and I am just going out on a limb here but... maybe they thought those games are just amazing and for all the shit we've put up with this generation it's still been a wonderful time to be a gamer no matter what type of games you're in to?

or maybe they realised they needed to dial back their snobbiness and elitism when there wasn't a single 10 given to any ps2 game despite that console having perhaps the richest library of games we've ever seen.

only one perfect score given in that generation of console games: Halo 2. How is that even possible? Resident Evil 4 says hello?

BurntPork said:

haha Isn't it the third highest scoring recent Mario game behind the Galaxy games in terms of Edge scores?

Smelly Tramp said:
or maybe they realised they needed to dial back their snobbiness and elitism when there wasn't a single 10 given to any ps2 game despite that console having perhaps the richest library of games we've ever seen.

only one perfect score given in that generation of console games: Halo 2. How is that even possible? Resident Evil 4 says hello?

You mean Half Life 2, yes? Halo 2 didn't get 10/10 from Edge. HL2 deserved it. Fucking amazing game.

SovanJedi said:

Well then they have lowered their standards which is not good either because Edge used to be my most trusted source of info. Now a 10/10 means nothing, I'm sure SS deserved it, maybe even on the older higher standard of scoring, but we'll never know.

Batman, Uncharted 3 and SS are fuckawesome for sure, but I don't have the same enthusiasm for games that I did back in the 90's and even with PS2. This generation feels too formulaic with sequel after sequel being pumped out. I would have loved to see Naughty God working on a new franchise after Uncharted 2 and bring back Drake as a PS4 launch title, but this generation is not like that, it is about bi-annual instalments of everyone's favourite franchises. There is not a lot of invention or innovation left.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
mclem said:
Wasn't the "2nd quest" eventually revealed to be a mistranslation or a misunderstanding or something?

(Light spoilers, although it's for something that's been mentioned in a few places, including the Edge review:)

My theory is that it was a misunderstanding about the mechanic by which you re-enter old dungeons for new stuff.

I don't think so. It was also on the official NoA twitter page.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
zomgbbqftw said:
Well then they have lowered their standards which is not good either because Edge used to be my most trusted source of info. Now a 10/10 means nothing, I'm sure SS deserved it, maybe even on the older higher standard of scoring, but we'll never know.

Batman, Uncharted 3 and SS are fuckawesome for sure, but I don't have the same enthusiasm for games that I did back in the 90's and even with PS2. This generation feels too formulaic with sequel after sequel being pumped out. I would have loved to see Naughty God working on a new franchise after Uncharted 2 and bring back Drake as a PS4 launch title, but this generation is not like that, it is about bi-annual instalments of everyone's favourite franchises. There is not a lot of invention or innovation left.

Sequels are a staple of any form of media; successful ones are the desired result, for sure. But EDGE's review of Skyward Sword should show that games companies are willing to try out new ways to refresh long running franchises and keep them exciting for gamers. And if you're still not convinced you can always turn to indie downloadable titles on the various DD services, which also have lots and lots of innovation and big hitters aside - we've seen everything from overnight success stories like Minecraft and Amnesia to big games companies tackling new sequels to their oldschool projects, such as Mega Man 9/10 and the Konami ReBirth series, plus completely art nouveau projects such as Flower and Journey. It's true the big companies have to rely on the big names to keep themselves going as a result of high development costs, but there is a whole world of gaming out there besides so-called AAA console games and this generation, more than any other, shows us the true power of them all combined.

Also in regards to the number of 10s given out this generation:

Radioheadrule83 said:
To be fair to them, RB3 is the definitive plastic guitar game, the apex of it all -- the Guitar Hero brand offered no retort, its a feature full game with a good tracklist, and it was well supported with different options, SKUs and DLC.

As a game amongst other games its not a 10/10, but compared to its peers in the genre? It probably is

I personally would never have thought a plastic accessory rhythm game would be worthy of a 10, but that argument makes sense to me. The scores are often as much to do with how they set the bar for things relative to their genre, their franchise or the entire industry, but to truly understand and debate it you have to read the review text... which we as a forum hardly ever do. :p

Mar

zomgbbqftw said:

Games are better now than they have ever been.

Also, I'd defend the Bayonetta 10 until my vital organs could no longer support the energy required.

McNum

Oxx said:
Woo, no more typing. Hooray for copy+paste:

"As for those puzzles? How’s this for a statement of intent: not a single torch-lighting number, and only one push-the-box-on-the-button incident."

Excite.
Aww, not just one single torch lighting? I'm almost disappointed. You know for nostalgia's sake.

The review sounds amazing, though. This really does sound the THE Wii game. Controls of Wii Sports Resort (Yes!), music of Mario, and Nintendo's level designers gone mad. Oh, and it's a Zelda game. Yeah, this is the game that just might live up to all the Wii's early promises. Looking forward to it, but I already had it preordered.

zomgbbqftw said:

Because they changed their reviewing criteria ( & have you read any of those reviews?)

BurntPork said:

EDGE giving a handheld game an 8 is a good sign.

Where are you guys finding the magazine, they didn't have it in stock either at WH Smith or at Tesco.

Oh well, no biggie I guess, the main reason I wanted to buy it was the Zelda review (and the shiny cover), which is now online.
Now I only have to wait for two, long months :(

Mar said:
Games are better now than they have ever been.

Do you really, honestly believe that? Just because production budgets are bigger and marketing better it doesn't mean the games of this gen are better than previous ones. This generation has been a mess of derivative games and sequels, more so than any previous generation. The only saving grace has been the awesome indie games on Steam and amazing PSN/XBL games like Journey or Castle Crashers.

Opus Angelorum said:
An excuse to play my Wii since Xmas, I'm not kidding.

Seriously. I can't wait. I will need to break it out of the attic and blow a thick layer of dust off it though!

Oxx

Empty said:
oh man, the writer seems totally infatuated with the game. it sounds incredible.

i love this bit: "This is a game made for Christmas Day, released an agonising six weeks before."

with all the comments about constant invention it really sounds like it could be the super mario galaxy of the zelda series that i've been wanting.

I thought the final paragraph was a bit too cheesy, but I liked the review overall.

Top Bottom