• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE 234 - December 2011 - Skyward Sword, Uncharted 3, Dark Souls reviews

Gassey

Banned
This ZINIO/EDGE situation is getting ridiculous.

How can ONE of the two parties here not tell us what's going on?

If Edge want me to resubscribe to the magazine on iOS instead of Zinio they're going about it the wrong way.

A little transparency goes a long way. Even if it's a simple acknowledgement of legal issues.

http://www.zinio.com/edge-subscription

Look at it, there on the right, teasing me... "Get Edge on the same day it hits the newsstands". Erm...

ReaperXL07 said:
Good to see Dark Souls getting the love, hopefully the good scores will give developers the balls to make tougher games on a more regular basis.
Please not, imo so far only FROM has managed to make a tough as hell but still fair game this generation. The other considered tough games are just blatantly cheap and unfair.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Outstanding Dark Souls review. I couldn't have put it better myself. Just reading the (very few) examples of moments from the game brings back so many vivid, strong memories. It actually triggers a weird, emotional response from me, and most games nowadays just don't do that.

I've never played anything quite like Dark Souls (other than a level of Demon's Souls, I guess). It was like a slap in the face, "this is what video games are, silly". I didn't understand Demon's Souls, but after an hour with Dark Souls I was onboard. I finished the game earlier today. Everyone here should try this game.

I don't get the love for Dark Souls. I rented it last weekend and played for about half an hour until I got to the boss at the end of the prison. I died about 6 or 7 times trying to beat it, and since the game was pretty boring up until that point I didn't feel compelled to keep going. Seriously, what is the point of throwing a hard fight at you right at the beginning of the game? It's bad game design if you ask me.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
LegendofJoe said:
I don't get the love for Dark Souls. I rented it last weekend and played for about half an hour until I got to the boss at the end of the prison. I died about 6 or 7 times trying to beat it, and since the game was pretty boring up until that point I didn't feel compelled to keep going. Seriously, what is the point of throwing a hard fight at you right at the beginning of the game? It's bad game design if you ask me.
Did you try running away? Or was this the second time, after you fall on its head and remove half of its health in one blow?

LegendofJoe said:

thats pretty funny. did you see the big sign on the floor which says "ESCAPE!"

Phat Michael said:
thats pretty funny. did you see the big sign on the floor which says "ESCAPE!"

I saw the sign. I had no idea you could get away from it though. I just assumed that I had to kill it in order to progress. I guess I need to take another stab at this game.

Dresden

LegendofJoe said:
It's meant to weed out those not prepared to die.
That said you take off half its hp in one plunging attack, shit is easy man. Don't give up!

Mrbob

Gassey said:
This ZINIO/EDGE situation is getting ridiculous.

How can ONE of the two parties here not tell us what's going on?

If Edge want me to resubscribe to the magazine on iOS instead of Zinio they're going about it the wrong way.

A little transparency goes a long way. Even if it's a simple acknowledgement of legal issues.

http://www.zinio.com/edge-subscription

Look at it, there on the right, teasing me... "Get Edge on the same day it hits the newsstands". Erm...

Yeah what is up with this. Why hasn't Zinio updated with the new issue yet?

RPGCrazied

2 places here sells this magazine, one place had the September issue, the other has the November issue. :(

When will they get the December issue?!

stupei

RPGCrazied said:
2 places here sells this magazine, one place had the September issue, the other has the November issue. :(

When will they get the December issue?!

In the past I would have recommended Zinio but the past few issues it seems like they put up the digital version about a week after it hits newsstands.

Still, that sounds like it would be better than your situation. Maybe look into getting it digitally?

There's a new EDGE app and it's on there. I think they want you to buy it from there instead.

49p more for a glorified pdf. I liked the way Zinio scaled the text properly. It wasn't perfect but it makes more sense than having to spend 2 minutes getting the text on the screen properly.

A self-styled 'bleeding edge' magazine can't even get that part right..

What issue of Edge is currently available on newsstands in North America, specifically Western Canada?

Last one I saw was the Batman issue. I'm afraid I missed the Vita issue, and maybe even another one after that somehow?

Or are Edge issues over here always one, two issues behind?

ARGH! Damn you European press!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Finally got it on Zinio. About Mario Land 3D, it seems the reviewer didn't know about the 2nd quest, nor about the street pass feature. No mention of it and he estimated the game should take 6-8 hours to be completed. Pretty disappointed by the lack of insight.

This is a rather specific request, but I'm thinking of reay scribing to Edge, can somebody look in the latest issue and see what the free random thing they're giving away is? In my experience you always got at least an ugly tshirt or something.

Oxx

butter_stick said:
This is a rather specific request, but I'm thinking of reay scribing to Edge, can somebody look in the latest issue and see what the free random thing they're giving away is? In my experience you always got at least an ugly tshirt or something.

The current promotion is 45% off a 12 month subscription. I don't thunk there is a freebee.

toasty_T said:
Dark Souls isn't that hard once you realize that it isn't easy.

Perfect way to put it. Put up your shield and brave the darkness one slow step at a time. It's a game that begs your undivided attention. So much so, that there isn't even music while you explore. One of the best games of the generation, hands-down, and one of those "must play" titles for all gamers (same as Katamari and other such titles of GC/PS2/Xbox era)

Top Bottom