• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE 234 - December 2011 - Skyward Sword, Uncharted 3, Dark Souls reviews

That SS review was very well written. It sets a really nice tone without spoiling too many things.

Gosh I'm pretty sure I'm getting SS for Christmas from family, but maybe I'll just have to cancel that and get it myself.

Mario 3D Land looks really fun too. I want more review text!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i liked it better when edge reviews were more harsh. don't you guys agree? i mean, it just looks silly for those other scores to be close to the real deal 10. it robs it of its proper weight. how will people know how good zelda is when lesser games are inflated?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Jaded Alyx said:
His last in this thread, I'm willing to bet.

You know what?
Seeing him banned now is

COMPELLING!!!
AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAah!!!

No, come on now, let's hope he'll be a better man when he'll come back.

Ah, the Edge review is a poetry, even if some parts feel exaggerated.
But...wow.
Very curious to read Mario 3D Land's one.

Yagharek

beelzebozo said:
i liked it better when edge reviews were more harsh. don't you guys agree? i mean, it just looks silly for those other scores to be close to the real deal 10. it robs it of its proper weight. how will people know how good zelda is when lesser games are inflated?

By playing it?

dwu8991

Banned
beelzebozo said:
i liked it better when edge reviews were more harsh. don't you guys agree? i mean, it just looks silly for those other scores to be close to the real deal 10. it robs it of its proper weight.

That's what gamespot and IGN are paid for, to be more critical. Gamespot is still the gold standard, as their score is based on not just being a great game on that system but also judged against the industry's best.

Yagharek

I do agree with your first premise: Edge reviews are awesome when they are for bad games. Anything getting 4/10 or lower usually makes for excellent reading.

beelzebozo said:
I can't tell when people are serious around here anymore.

zomgbbqftw said:
Do you really, honestly believe that?

Yes, but that's a topic for another day. I grew up on the Genesis, but I think the majority of my favorite games from the last 5-6 years. It seems video games age the worst out of all my favorite video game mediums. Such is the march of technology.

Oxx

I was going crazy looking for the Aonuma interview, but I guess it's just a handful of quotes within the review postscript.

Himself

I'm surprised they scored U3 so high. What did they give 1 and 2?

Then again, EDGE doesn't really seen to have much of an aversion to the big Hollywood style American games (mass effect 2, gta4).

i tend to think that edge is a well written and entertaining magazine with mediocre taste (read: they dont like wrpgs) but they have been consistently right on the greatness of the souls games so i have to give them credit for that.

krYlon

The Dark Souls review in this issue is absolutely brilliant. One of the best game reviews I have ever read.

I know Edge gets a lot of stick for being pretentious, but it's writing like this that puts all other videogame journalism to shame.

The EDGE SS review has me postitively beeming!

This sounds like the Zelda I've always wanted as I've always struggled with prior entries. As stated on GAF numermous times, i've NEVER finished a Zelda, whether due to boredom, timing, or some archiac design choices that would drive me away.

SS sounds like Nintendo's finally having this frachise grow up and move forward

Pranay

Himself said:
I'm surprised they scored U3 so high. What did they give 1 and 2?

Then again, EDGE doesn't really seen to have much of an aversion to the big Hollywood style American games (mass effect 2, gta4).

Why so ?

Anyways uc1 got 8 and uc2 got 9

krYlon said:
The Dark Souls review in this issue is absolutely brilliant. One of the best game reviews I have ever read.

I know Edge gets a lot of stick for being pretentious, but it's writing like this that puts all other videogame journalism to shame.

is it as good as the zelda one? the zelda review is really well written...

Schlomo

Wow, the BloodRayne reviews are really all over the place. They only agree on one thing - that it's damn hard.

Edit: What, the game has been out for almost two months? LOL, guess my vacation was too long.

arglebargle said:
i want to read this but i have been really careful about not being spoiled. is it spoilery at all?

i have played through the first hour or so of the game so far, if thats relevant.

There's reference to area names and the preferred route to take if you want to live.

krYlon

arglebargle said:
i want to read this but i have been really careful about not being spoiled. is it spoilery at all?

i have played through the first hour or so of the game so far, if thats relevant.

It mentions a few enemies and locations, but on the whole I'd say it doesn't really spoil too much.

If you want to keep absolutely everything a surprise then it might be best not to read it.

my issue is that im currently away at school and my ps3 is at my apartment in new york. so i got to play it a little when i went back home this weekend and all i really want to do is play it more. since i cant do that reading about it seems like the next best thing.

krYlon

arglebargle said:
my issue is that im currently away at school and my ps3 is at my apartment in new york. so i got to play it a little when i went back home this weekend and all i really want to do is play it more. since i cant do that reading about it seems like the next best thing.

I really don't think you'll spoil too much if you read it.
I've gone on a blackout with Dark Souls too, and have only played around 10 hours, but I didn't feel like I spoiled anything reading the review (though I did quickly gloss over anything that looked like a location or enemy name).

Then again, reading the review will only make the wait to play the game again more unbearable!

Sadist said:
Wii game got a 7.

I think he was talking about GamesTM, which gave it an 8

krYlon said:
I really don't think you'll spoil too much if you read it.
I've gone on a blackout with Dark Souls too, and have only played around 10 hours, but I didn't feel like I spoiled anything reading the review (though I did quickly gloss over anything that looked like a location or enemy name).

Then again, reading the review will only make the wait to play the game again more unbearable!

I think he was talking about GamesTM, which gave it an 8

alright, i read it. good review, though i object to calling people who like the game masochists. thats not to say the game isnt hard, but i dont play it because i like dying (which is what masochism implies) i play it because i love the world and success feels so good. though i guess this is more a conversation for the dark souls thread.

HTuran

Have any of you guys tried out the iOS Newsstand app? The reviews seem incredibly negative, mainly because it's all static content. That's fine by me, but how high is the resolution of the images?

Oxx

You can download one of the Edge back-issues through Newsstand to see what it's like. You have to zoom in to read any of the text on an iPod Touch, so it's not a great reading experience. I imagine it's best suited to iPad.

squidyj

The Friendly Monster said:
My 10/10 games this generation have been The Orange Box and Super Mario Galaxy. I haven't played Batman AC yet.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

well it's no OoT

UnblessedSoul said:
Dark souls 9? I don think so

to me a 9 is fair. if they had point scales it would be an 8.5.

Fantastistic game overall but there are so many niggling problems that could have been done a lot better. Its a great game but its not perfect. (45 hours in so far)

herod

arglebargle said:
i tend to think that edge is a well written and entertaining magazine with mediocre taste (read: they dont like wrpgs) but they have been consistently right on the greatness of the souls games so i have to give them credit for that.

On the contrary, they love wrpgs, they just think the genre has a hell of a lot more headroom.

Oxx

I dunno...

(From a previous Edge-bashing thread)

Detox said:
I don't think they get WRPG's.
Mass Effect - 7/10
Jade Empire - 7/10
KotOR - 9/10
Baldur's Gate 2 - 8/10
The Witcher - 5/10
Morrowind - 6/10
Oblivion - 8/10
Fallout 3 - 7/10
Diablo - 7/10
Diablo II - 6/10
Dragon age: Origins - 5/10
Mass Effect 2 - 9/10

Nirolak said:
WRPGs:
Witcher 2 - 6
Fallout 1 - 6
Fallout 3 - 7
Fallout: New Vegas - 6
TES III: Morrowind - 6
Diablo I - 7
Diablo II - 6
Dragon Age: Origins - 5
Arcanum - 5
The Witcher - 5
Vampire: Bloodlines - 6
Mass Effect - 7
Temple Of Elemental Evil - 4

Seems like they don't like any of them much..

In other news, Edge's Zinio version still hasn't gone up. They have a link to Zinio on their webpage, but when you click December 2011 it just takes you to November.

Games TM have managed to put their latest edition up. Guess what I'm doing?

Fair enough, you have your own storefront on Newsstand and you want iPad users to gravitate towards that; I'm one of the (apparent few) that doesn't own an iPad, so I'm reading off my iPhone or my PC. I don't think neglecting readers who subscribe through a certain service is a good way to keep subs going, to be quite honest. Maybe that's their plan?

Boken

Banned
Witcher 2, 6.
Diablo II, 6.
Vampire: Bloodlines, 6.
Fallout 1, 6.
FO:NV, 6.

Basically 6 is EDGE code for a really good WRPG?

spekkeh

Banned
Boken said:
Witcher 2, 6.
Diablo II, 6.
Vampire: Bloodlines, 6.
Fallout 1, 6.
FO:NV, 6.

Basically 6 is EDGE code for a really good WRPG?
Haven't played all those games, but of those I did, I actually agree with the score.

Edit: and of that other list I would've probably given FO3 an eight. I also feel ME1 should've gotten higher, but that's really only the epiphany and onwards part; certain gameplay choices I hated with a passion, so I can also not really fault the 7/10.

Kyoufu said:
Except the game doesn't look bad at all and Edge agrees.

The graphics engine isn't highly polished, it's low res and the performance stinks, but I think it looks beautiful. The artists did a great job. And there is a tremendous sense of scale to everything.

I'm a little bit skeptical of their score for SS. But I'd love to be wrong.

Top Bottom