• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge 238 Scores

mujun

I wish I could get The Darkness II... I liked the demo. But there is no way I'm paying full price for a single player that people say is 5~6 hours long. And I don't really feel like playing Darkness multiplayer, so it's not for me

You are going to get it once the price drops, right? I am loving it. The combat is great, other FPS would benefit from trying to incorporate as many options as this game does. The story and voice acting are extremely well done, looks great and plays great, too. This is definitely going to be in my top 10 for the year and I say that as someone who only decided to get the game after the GB quicklook.

You are going to get it once the price drops, right? I am loving it. The combat is great, other FPS would benefit from trying to incorporate as many options as this game does. The story and voice acting are extremely well done, looks great and plays great, too. This is definitely going to be in my top 10 for the year and I say that as someone who only decided to get the game after the GB quicklook.

Did you play the first game? Does it have as many slow moments? Do you kind of explore the world and are you forced to look at street signs and subway stops? I didn't like the combat in the first game, and it looks like the same for this one, but I really did like the atmosphere and traversal of the first game, even if it took me a while to figure it out after aimless walking.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Man I thought Skyward Sword was an unmitigated mess and that anyone who thinks otherwise is someone I can easily dismiss any analysis of theirs on the Zelda series, but extending that to the entirety of all game assessments is probably suspect.

EDGE rates on the full scale and is probably one of the least worst gaming magazines. Which is to say it's still a bad magazine and has most of the problems of most game publications and websites, but just less of the problems overall.

I buy Edge for all the industry related stuff which they're very good for.

Review wise though? They lost it by giving Zelda a 10. What a bullshit score.

Did you play the first game? Does it have as many slow moments? Do you kind of explore the world and are you forced to look at street signs and subway stops? I didn't like the combat in the first game, and it looks like the same for this one, but I really did like the atmosphere and traversal of the first game, even if it took me a while to figure it out after aimless walking.

It has the slow moments, but it doesn't have the hub world design. I don't mind the change, it slowed down the pace and confused me having to remember street names since I'm no New Yorker. Only played for an hour of this. There's quite a bit of Jenny moments, one in a cafe that got me slightly emotional :p

The combat in first game was a chore to get to the great story, here combat is ridiculous fun with the "quad wielding". Everything has been improved, from Darkling AI and shooting mechanics to the Darkness tentacles. Skewering dudes with pool cues and car doors hasn't felt this good.

mhayze

Then you would know a 7 by Edges standards is not mediocre and it has never been.

Very few sites use the whole spectrum, why, we'll never truly know but I know if I got 70% in an exam I'd be happy (as long as it was a pass). ;)

Fair enough, 7 is not mediocre, but, given that Edge uses the full scale of ratings, it's not an unreserved recommendation either. I was expecting U:GA to be the killer app of the Vita launch, especially given it's very optimistic pricing, but now I'm not so sure.

Also, I'd be pretty crushed if I got 70% on an exam, but that's me.

yurinka

Wipeout > Final Fantasy
I agree. I didn't played Wipeout 2048 final game, but this IP this gen had a great improvement in quality in this gen. Its PSP and PS3 were the best of the IP.
And well, even if FF has a huge budget, I bet almost everyone who followed the IP since the 16 bits or before would tell you its quality is in clear decline.

Fair enough, 7 is not mediocre, but, given that Edge uses the full scale of ratings, it's not an unreserved recommendation either. I was expecting U:GA to be the killer app of the Vita launch, especially given it's very optimistic pricing, but now I'm not so sure.

Also, I'd be pretty crushed if I got 70% on an exam, but that's me.

If the average was a 55, would you still be crushed?

IF one takes 5.5/10 to be the average, 7/10 isn't bad at all. Well above average actually.

delta25

Banned
"Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D – 8"

dbdc74b8captions-0.jpg

Crub

Why do people get so worked up over a 5?

And what's the point of a 1-10 review scale if everything below 7 is considered to be awful?

I like these guys. Will have to check out NeverDead once the price has dropped considerably.

Maxrunner

Man I thought Skyward Sword was an unmitigated mess and that anyone who thinks otherwise is someone I can easily dismiss any analysis of theirs on the Zelda series, but extending that to the entirety of all game assessments is probably suspect.

EDGE rates on the full scale and is probably one of the least worst gaming magazines. Which is to say it's still a bad magazine and has most of the problems of most game publications and websites, but just less of the problems overall.

I totally agree with you... the mark of a good critic is one who you can respect even when you disagree with them. In other words, they are elegant enough with their criticism that you can see their perspective even if you don't see eye to eye. I highly doubt EDGE can be considered that category, though. I know of very few game critics in general that fit in that hole... game criticism is such a sloppy field right now.

im actually liking it very much....and an unmitigated mess it is not....but i assume that Skyrim is the current GAME around here so it didnt get the 10 in EDGE....its explains a lot...

Hoo-doo

Banned
I find Kingdoms of Amalur decidedly average so far, i'm still only about 7/8 hours in though.
A 6 is what i'd score it from what i've played, so I think EDGE's score is quite reasonable.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I could get The Darkness II... I liked the demo. But there is no way I'm paying full price for a single player that people say is 5~6 hours long. And I don't really feel like playing Darkness multiplayer, so it's not for me
It's not worth full price, that much is true. Fiveish hours of game and only three of them are really worth your time. They're a damn solid three hours, though.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
5 for FFXIII-2 sounds about right. Terrible game.

Suprised at the MGS score. It looked like a really lazy port last time I saw it. I just picked up the HD Collection for $40 this past weekend though, so I'll be skipping the 3DS version.

Curufinwe

I find Kingdoms of Amalur decidedly average so far, i'm still only about 7/8 hours in though.
A 6 is what i'd score it from what i've played, so I think EDGE's score is quite reasonable.

6 for Amalur from Edge is totally unsurprising. 7 for Neverdead from Edge is kind of unbelievable.

Haunted

Amalur is above average, I agree.

Neverdead seems high.

FFXIII-2 is way too high, that game is not average. It's bad.

5 for FFXIII-2 sounds about right. Terrible game.
An EDGE 5 does not denote a terrible game (sadly). I agree with you that it should be a 2 or 3.

Riposte

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning – 6?

what in the world? they really don't like RPGs?

Kingdoms of Amalur is a sub-mediocre action game. The reason its score is above a 5 is because they like "RPGs" (in other words: they like the MMORPG layout).

Haunted

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning – 6?

what in the world? they really don't like RPGs?
Once again, a 6 means it's above average.

I agree with the score. The game is solid with production values and it's clear that a lot of effort went into creating all of its assets, but it's not very well balanced which means the combat (its initial high point) manages to get repetitive pretty fast. The amount of filler content and strange UI decisions aren't really helping as well.

"EDGE doesn't like RPGs" is obviously, nonsense.

NeverDead is an actually interesting if wacky story wrapped in a very interestingly designed, often destructible world, with setpieces and cutscenes directed as by a blind chimp, with lighting effects that look worse than PS1 games, and hampered by some of the most repetitious and self-defeating gameplay I've ever experienced. You know as soon as you get your hands on the completely bipolar controls (very responsive but disastrously conceived and almost nonsensical) that you're in for a ride you want to enjoy but just can't.

Reckoning deserves pretty much all of the criticisms I've heard thus far, but it'd be a 7 or 8 in my book.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
FF13-2 aint perfect, but it deserves a better score than 5. Way better game than 13.

Totally agree, I'm actually rather pleased with XIII-2. It's got its share of issues, but it's a much better game than 13 and probably my favorite FF since 9.

God I love Edge. It's the only mag left consistently worth reading, IMO.

As for their reviews: they are always well-written, and even when I complete disagree with their take, they make their case well. Which is all you can ask of any review.

And what's the point of a 1-10 review scale if everything below 7 is considered to be awful?

I like these guys. Will have to check out NeverDead once the price has dropped considerably.

Completely agree - it should be well known by now that Edge do use the entire 1-10 scale - only have to read a bit of text from the review to realise that.

I like/trust Edge, I don't buy it often but I'm not disappointed when I do. Very good publication.

F#A#Oo

Banned
God I love Edge. It's the only mag left consistently worth reading, IMO.

As for their reviews: they are always well-written, and even when I complete disagree with their take, they make their case well. Which is all you can ask of any review.

8 year subscriber and counting...

Their industry related stuff is really what I get it for...I'm not in the industry but its nice too put faces and opinions to a studios name and brand...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

To be fair, you can't blame gamers when that's how game reviewers themselves treat the scores. A "5" is supposed to be "average", but when you read a review of a game scoring a five, it winds up being a piece of crap.

Curufinwe

Those are both incredibly good games. For the time, Wipeout 2097 was amazing, but Wip3out remains my favourite in the series even though I think HD is a better game.

XIII-2 score is fine. The game is pretty average in pretty much every way. Just adding a bunch of shit didn't improve the game. But it was still somewhat fun. But XIII is not a 5. No that game was good.

I'm going to try Neverdead at some point. It seems like it's personality may be enough to win out over some pretty meh gameplay.

Amir0x

Banned
im actually liking it very much....and an unmitigated mess it is not....but i assume that Skyrim is the current GAME around here so it didnt get the 10 in EDGE....its explains a lot...

i don't hivemind. i like Skyrim, but it's not significantly better than Skyward Sword. Skyward Sword is just sloppy, respecting your pov.

I like/trust Edge, I don't buy it often but I'm not disappointed when I do. Very good publication.
Same here. It also seems that they don't care much about hype either and give average ratings to some games that get praised everywhere else for just being advertised to be the next "big thing".

Top Bottom