• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge 238 Scores

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Won't post it all, but the last paragraph is:
Packed with detail, both in terms of it's environments and mechanics, this is a game that pays back investment in spades. MGS3 is a moden classic - the tighest, smartest and most emotional journey in the series - and even the HD update doesn't look as good as this portable treatment 8/10

Z7Z4U.gif

I guess the low-res textures don't look so bad on a small screen, and the 3D might be well implemented. I would like to read the whole review, but I might be putting in a preorder now...

It also has updated models, new lighting, etc. There have been graphical improvements. Do a search for the latest MGS3D screens, you'll find comparisons with the HD version.

I totally wrote off MGS3D as all i kept reading was the graphics suck and controls are a joke also.

Edge now saying it looks great. How about the controls though?

Packed with detail, both in terms of it's environments and mechanics, this is a game that pays back investment in spades. MGS3 is a moden classic - the tighest, smartest and most emotional journey in the series - and even the HD update doesn't look as good as this portable treatment 8/10

wat

edge has officially gone off the deep end

Cels

i haven't kept up with GAF's thoughts on MGS3 for 3DS. reading this thread, it appears to be - "inferior port b/c of worse graphics and controls". Accurate assessment of the hivemind?

If you give Skyward Sword a 10, you can't be trusted period.

Contrarily, those are the only people you can trust.

If it bothers you that much, just do what I do and pretend any reviews you don't agree with were written by Tim Rogers. Edge doesn't attribute anything to the writer, so just fill in the blanks.

Suairyu

Banned
I also really don't get the "if I know who wrote it, I can ignore them in future if I disagree"

I don't agree with film critics like mark Kermode or Roger Ebert a lot of the time; that doesn't mean I don't find their criticism valuable.

You shouldn't disregard a critic or their criticism as worthless to you just because you disagree. Good criticism informs, enlightens and expands your own understanding, even when you think the critic got it all wrong.

To go "oh they gave [game x] a [y]? Can disregard their opinion on [game z] then" is anti-intellectualism at its most rife in the gaming community.

Amir0x

Banned
If you give Skyward Sword a 10, you can't be trusted period.

Man I thought Skyward Sword was an unmitigated mess and that anyone who thinks otherwise is someone I can easily dismiss any analysis of theirs on the Zelda series, but extending that to the entirety of all game assessments is probably suspect.

EDGE rates on the full scale and is probably one of the least worst gaming magazines. Which is to say it's still a bad magazine and has most of the problems of most game publications and websites, but just less of the problems overall.

Suairyu said:
You shouldn't disregard a critic or their criticism as worthless to you just because you disagree. Good criticism informs, enlightens and expands your own understanding, even when you think the critic got it all wrong.

I totally agree with you... the mark of a good critic is one who you can respect even when you disagree with them. In other words, they are elegant enough with their criticism that you can see their perspective even if you don't see eye to eye. I highly doubt EDGE can be considered that category, though. I know of very few game critics in general that fit in that hole... game criticism is such a sloppy field right now.

Won't post it all, but the last paragraph is:

Packed with detail, both in terms of it's environments and mechanics, this is a game that pays back investment in spades. MGS3 is a moden classic - the tighest, smartest and most emotional journey in the series - and even the HD update doesn't look as good as this portable treatment. 8/10
What a big turn of events. LOL

wow @ mgs3. i mean, mgs3 is a 10 game in my mind no matter what, but when I have the HD collection, Konami will really have to add something to it to make me buy it yet again (for full price-- it's an instant purchase at $19.99 when it gets there.) I'm wondering if they did add stuff or if Edge just likes the game that much.

- and even the HD update doesn't look as good as this portable treatment 8/10

oh, that's interesting.

Deservedly so.

Deadly Premonition was a nausea-inducing piece of crap.

It was actually a highly divisive game that served equal helpings of extreme jank and one-of-a-kind charm, and given how much people like it when they do like it, it deserves any positive assessment it gets.

The reviewer just needs to be crystal clear about how fucking weird that game is.

Ridley327

wow @ mgs3. i mean, mgs3 is a 10 game in my mind no matter what, but when I have the HD collection, Konami will really have to add something to it to make me buy it yet again (for full price-- it's an instant purchase at $19.99 when it gets there.) I'm wondering if they did add stuff or if Edge just likes the game that much.

oh, that's interesting.

FWIW, there are definitely clear graphical enhancements in the latest batch of screens (and some downgrades as well), so they're not half-assing it in that regard. The biggest X factor right now is the framerate, which seems to have been the biggest pile of crap in every media released up to and including the demo.

Only a few hours in, but the difference between FF XIII and XIII-2 is so big than there is no way that they could have the same score.

In FF XIII, with 4 hours, I was still in the earliest parts of the tutorial and I already hated half of the characters. In this new one, with the same time, I already have unlocked all the gameplay elements, have some sidequests and I don't hate yet any character.

Anth0ny

Man I thought Skyward Sword was an unmitigated mess and that anyone who thinks otherwise is someone I can easily dismiss any analysis of theirs on the Zelda series, but extending that to the entirety of all game assessments is probably suspect.

EDGE rates on the full scale and is probably one of the least worst gaming magazines. Which is to say it's still a bad magazine and has most of the problems of most game publications and websites, but just less of the problems overall.

I'll agree with this, lol.

Have to say, I thought NeverDead was an interesting concept, but the gunplay was absolutely appalling.

The gunplay is far from the worst part but it is awful.

There's some fun, interesting interesting ideas there but it just pales in comparison to all the bad ones. Needing to roll over your limbs to get them back was clearly not well-tested and it makes each fight more tedious than fun.

And that fucking falling building. Jesus christ.

Bad7667

So good. I was just about to post this but you said it much better than I could have.

FFXIII-2 sounds about right, the game so far feels like someone is gnawing on my ballsac. Every torturous second I proceed feels like an eternity, slowly slicing years off my life without me even realizing it. Listening to moogle's voice is something equivalent to gouging my eyes out or dipping an open wound in pure acid I'm sure. The battle system is far less complex, they removed meaningful haste, and it autoplays itself even HARDER than FFXIII - which was already the ultimate autogame for tards. Noel and pretty much every character encountered is abysmally written tripe not out of place in some Trekkie freaks' Captain Kirk/Picard 'bi-curious' fanfiction.

Edge rates on the entire scale though, so realistically FFXIII-2 should be a 2 out of 10.

I kinda liked FFXIII, but pretty much agree with you on XIII-2, just from playing the demo.
The story & characters seem MUCH worse, more tripe & more generic.

The more open world is completely negated by the garabge new anime story & look the game took.

Uncharted: GA is a 7? Is it really that mediocre?

I'll always remember Edge giving DKC Returns a 7, and then thinking the game perhaps wouldn't be as good as I'd hoped. Game was every bit as good as I'd hoped, if not moreso.

I don't take an Edge 7 to mean a game is not all that great anymore. In contrast, I think the 10 they gave Skyward Sword was too high, as I would personally rate it as an 8.

Bottom line is, you won't always agree. Their end scores are just a guide.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The most "shocking" score to me is the one given to Amalur. I'm loving it so I'm really curious to learn the reasoning behind that 6.

I also really don't get the "if I know who wrote it, I can ignore them in future if I disagree"

I don't agree with film critics like mark Kermode or Roger Ebert a lot of the time; that doesn't mean I don't find their criticism valuable.

To go "oh they gave [game x] a [y]? Can disregard their opinion on [game z] then" is anti-intellectualism at its most rife in the gaming community.
You'd be correct if every reviewer were competent in all cases. Some reviewers, even the best, can be ignored if they're reviewing things that contain certain elements. In Ebert's case, while I may disagree with a review but find worth in the review, he (used to, at least) grossly overrate any movie with Angelina Jolie because she is his fantasy woman. He has or had other weaknesses that were not quite as obvious but show up at times. Similarly, a Los Angeles Times film reviewer (dunno if he's still active and no it's not Turran) was capable of decent insight but liked bad action movies for the most puerile reasons and was literally useless from both consumer guide and film criticism viewpoints. Knowing their names didn't mean I'd write off all reviews from them, but it certainly informed my reading when it was one of their weak points.

Edge not giving bylines is as infantile as Next Generation's "we stand by our review" response to any and all criticism. Not owning up to biases, particularly an unhinged one, is as anti-intellectual as the phenomenon you described.

Amir0x

Banned
The most "shocking" score to me is the one given to Amalur. I'm loving it so I'm really curious to learn the reasoning behind that 6.

You can read the review right here:

Much has been said about Kingdoms Of Amalur’s 10,000-year backstory, concocted by fantasy author RA Salvatore to act as a springboard for 38 Studios’ future projects. The result of all his efforts is that the world of Amalur comes steeped in lore, with NPCs spouting out a wiki’s worth of info for even the most innocuous ‘kill x rats’ task. It’s certainly as comprehensive as any virtual history in recent memory, and yet arrives in a game intent on cutting through the RPG fat, presenting a more accessible take on the open-world RPG. How do you present an unforgiving fiction in a forgiving world?

Of course, lowering the barriers to entry can also negate the gratification felt from the obstacles you overcome. Ranged combat, for example, employs an auto-aim that removes all the skill from the player. So while bows and projectile-spewing staves work well enough as secondary support to a stabbing implement, they are deeply unsatisfying in themselves. It doesn’t help that target switching is mapped to the right analogue stick, which is nigh-on impossible to reach in tandem with the face buttons. In a way, Reckoning reverses Skyrim’s dilemma: where the firstperson perspective struggles to mesh well with hand-to-hand duels, it is the true home of projectiles.

Reckoning never quite balances accessibility with the depth expected from an RPG either. Systems are present and correct – smithing, alchemy, sagecrafting (think: Elder Scrolls’ soul gems) – but are streamlined into neat little asides. There are too few collectible components to sell these crafts as organic parts of the Amalurian ecosystem. Where Skyrim’s alchemists have to root around in the countryside in search of mystic barks, their counterparts in Amalur need only walk up to shiny pick-ups dotting the world. This is roleplaying for a thunderously dull imagination.

Etc.

It basically boils down to they made the game TOO accessible according to Edge, and the balance is broken thanks to how easy the game is (potions, etc).

mhayze

You have never read edge I see.
I've read Edge on and off since issue 1. Knowing their biases, I expected them to like UC:GA for some reason, but I'm having a hard time explaining why exactly I thought this would be the case.

Edge not giving bylines is as infantile as Next Generation's "we stand by our review" response to any and all criticism. Not owning up to biases, particularly an unhinged one, is as anti-intellectual as the phenomenon you described.

I thought Next Generation was mostly recycled Edge content?

May16

Having played both Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Golden Abyss (not the demos), I completely agree with these "controversial" review scores. >_>

Darkness 2 review:

And while the screenshots suggest a hyper-violent fantasy take on the well-worn Mafia tale, The Darkness II is a love story at its core. Estacado doesn’t seek mob dominance, the death of the Brotherhood, or victory over the Darkness: his every act is motivated by the loss of the love of his life, and his desire to see her rest in peace, so that he can find it too. It’s derivative, gratuitous and needlessly profane, but beneath the gruesome veneer lies a tale of – believe it or not – genuine tenderness.

Glad I got the game, now can't wait until the heartstrings get plucked like the first!

Amir0x

Banned
I wish I could get The Darkness II... I liked the demo. But there is no way I'm paying full price for a single player that people say is 5~6 hours long. And I don't really feel like playing Darkness multiplayer, so it's not for me

Top Bottom