• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge 238 Scores

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I still stand by the view that Edge generally reviews games predicated on the idea that Edge is the Record of Note for the industry. So they criticize, or celebrate, games based on whether they do something "right" for the industry as Edge sees it.

They pooped on expanded audience Wii games for example, because those games weren't going in the "right" direction, regardless of how the games in question actually were on their own terms. They celebrated Skyward Sword, in turn, to send a message to Nintendo that this is what Serious Gamers with Taste expect to see from Nintendo in the future.

And for a while they pooped on any game with a psuedo-open world if it wasn't as Genre Revolutionizing as GTA IV's city in their view.

So basically, whether or not an Edge review goes along with a game having objectively good or bad qualities is purely coincidence. If it suits the Edge narrative to praise a game, they will, and if the game is actually that good, bonus.

Riposte

I'm kind of curious what the NeverDead review will say. I wonder if it is just a case of Edge's alleged brit favoritism. I won't pick up until it is real cheap.

EDIT: What's the big deal over the score they gave to Metal Gear?

That'd be cool if you all went back to talking about how ridiculous these scores are instead of highlighting people who've place a banned meme. It certainly doesn't heighten their chances of being here. :\

I wish NeverDead was a 7. It is the only video game I've ever seen to have the protagonist with the same name as mine--same spelling, too. w00t.

TheNatural

My Member!
That'd be cool if you all went back to talking about how ridiculous these scores are instead of highlighting people who've place a banned meme. It certainly doesn't heighten their chances of being here. :\

I don't keep up with banned memes, all I kept up is with how supposedly shit Metal Gear 3DS was, how world beater Vita's launch lineup was, and the fact it is up there with those games with a supposedly reputable reviewer, that's all. Most interesting is it's higher than Uncharted in Edge's reviews.

I wish NeverDead was a 7. It is the only video game I've ever seen to have the protagonist with the same name as mine--same spelling, too. w00t.

NeverDead being scored higher than FFXIII-2 and Amalur is weird, but I think 5 and 6 are reasonable scores for those two games.

How are the scores ridiculous?

I haven't played FFXIII-2, but that seems a bit harsh. Amalur, however, as Amriox stated, is definitely above a 6. Much higher for me. NeverDead--I've only played a little of it, and I really thought it was just a mess in many ways. Can't believe it got a 7, which is actually a very high school compared to other Edge scores. It's just my opinion, of course.

NeverDead being scored higher than FFXIII-2 and Amalur is weird, but I think 5 and 6 are reasonable scores for those two games.

Wow, really? To each his (or her) own.

Ban for what? The scores there are there. Isn't that what I'm referring to?

You can't compare games across different genres just by score, it adds nothing useful to the discussion.

So basically, whether or not an Edge review goes along with a game having objectively good or bad qualities is purely coincidence. If it suits the Edge narrative to praise a game, they will, and if the game is actually that good, bonus.

Any evidence to support this conclusion?

canedaddy

I learned long ago to take Edge scores with a grain of salt. They certainly bear no resemblance to my experiences.

nHDR

Banned
A rehash of Snake Eater is better than a NEW Uncharted, AND Amalur? At this point I think they give out the low scores just for the controversy.

TheNatural

My Member!
You can't compare games across different genres just by score, it adds nothing useful to the discussion.

Any evidence to support this conclusion?

People quote the scores and bold them all the time in comparison to one another in these threads, especially the Edge ones. Aren't that what these threads are for?

Salih

We need the written review for MGS 3D. This could be easily a purchase for me. 3DS keeps on delivering.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I learned long ago to take Edge scores with a grain of salt. They certainly bear no resemblance to my experiences.

Well hey, consider this: Words convey feelings much better than numbers can. And it would be just swell (and helpful) if we could get some of those, yeah?

Amir0x

Banned
What makes it so torturous for you? I have yet to play it, so I was wondering. I heard it was a slight improvement over FFXIII. Also, glad to hear you like Amalur, considering I rarely see you praising games in threads, especially RPGs. ;)

Well I am still fairly early in FFXIII-2 (about 6 hours), but so far every thing that could be worse has been worse. I wrote about it on the last page of the FFXIII-2 topic, so you can get my feel there

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Ouch, FFXIII-2 is brutal.....

After 40+ hours myself, 5/10 is a bit kind. On the full scale I'd rate it below average in the 3-4 out of 10 range. It has a lot of really poor design choices and balancing issues. The key improvements over the predecessor are appreciated, but it regresses in more ways than it has improved. I have a difficult time deciding which I least preferred, XIII or XIII-2.

Moobabe

People quote the scores and bold them all the time in comparison to one another in these threads, especially the Edge ones. Aren't that what these threads are for?

I thought these threads were to show what EDGE had given games in their latest issue?

TheNatural

My Member!
No they don't as it shits up these threads, & the threads are for discussing the reviews/games not comparing numbers.

Yeah which is why half this thread is about Final Fantasy 13-2's number as compared to Neverdead. Give me a break, the entire OP was JUST scores, of course you can't compare games THEMSELVES by scores, but it's all there is in the OP. What discussion is there to be had other than "hey this got this number and this got this number." It's a REVIEW SCORE thread. It's like going into a specific sports thread and saying "hey guys you can't compare athlete X to athlete Y because he plays on a different team.

This is what's here, scores. It's not a shocker to compare any one score in one issue of a magazine to another, regardless of system or genre.

Derrick01

Banned
I hope someone can find that list of big wrpgs that Edge scored. They really do NOT like that genre, at all.

MMOs seem to be ok to them though. Go figure.

Wait, I don't understand! GAF told me this version has no right to exist...because of missing grass or something...

What went wrong? Did Edge play the correct version?

Clearly, they took off 2 points for the lack of grass.

In all seriousness, I'm interested in the actual review text. What's the usual timeframe between Edge score leak and review information?

I hope someone can find that list of big wrpgs that Edge scored. They really do NOT like that genre, at all.

MMOs seem to be ok to them though. Go figure.

They actually did like Deus Ex, Skyrim, and Dark Souls though (all 9s). The big difference is that their reviewers view the rest of the field as a substantial step back from those titles.

Maybe MGS3 is a good game regardless of technical compromises?

That's what I was getting it. I've been defending the game for a while now, because crouch-walking is a huge game changer that would make the game more fun to play. And everyone's been going on about missing grass, and the fact it's not HD. So this 3D version is useless and has no right to exist.

So Edge giving it a high score is BAFFLING.

Top Bottom