• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE 271: Miyamoto / Nintendo blowout

Aonuma: "Since we're talking about open worlds, let's state upfront that we don't plan to have an open world in the same way other companies have been doing in recent years."

I'm hoping this is a comment about the lack of a hand-crafted feel in many other modern open world games, not about some kind of contention on what it means for a world to be "open."

Squire

Banned
EDGE writer said on Twitter that all of this Nintendo/Miyamoto stuff is print exclusive. No idea about the other content though.

They cut stuff from the digital version? That doesn't sound right. Surely he just means it won't be posted to EDGE Online, no?

Is this necessarily a good thing though; really? Wasn't his last very personal project Wii Music? And he showed Project Giant Robot at E3 like it was something to be proud of?

I mean, there's absolutely no denying at all that he's the greatest game creator that's ever lived, but I'm not convinced that he hasn't lost his once-golden touch.

Pikmin 3 dude

Pikmin-3-artwork.jpg

What are they saying about Bayonetta 2? Can anybody give me a summary?

nah dude.

Media black out!

We are so close!
I know it's painful but one more month and a couple days (since Korra is coming out at the end of October).

Surely Bayo2 will come out at the beginning so it doesn't compete with Platinum's other game!

Zia

They cut stuff from the digital version? That doesn't sound right. Surely he just means it won't be posted to EDGE Online, no?

Yes, EDGE Online is effectively dead. It'll all be in the digital issue, complete with iBells and e-whistles.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Thanks for posting this!

I look forward to Edge every month - I think it's the best game journalism out there.

On the digital side, I find the zinio version abysmal. The iOS one is amazing though- great links to content and lots of cool animations. I prefer it to a print copy.

nah dude.

Media black out!

We are so close!
I know it's painful but one more month and a couple days (since Korra is coming out at the end of October).

Surely Bayo2 will come out at the beginning so it doesn't compete with Platinum's other game!

I don't need story spoilers, I need to know Edge's impression about the combat, visuals, weapons and maybe the online co-op mode. Anybody who can post a summary, please spoiler tag it.

The Aonuma quote is completely meaningless without context. You're just letting your imagination run wild with what he could mean, which is surely not a thing that has backfired on the Zelda fanbase before!

What's the beef with Oddworld?

I'm a massive fan of the first 2 oddworld games and i think a 6 is generous.
the game could have been great but my playthrough was ruined with so many bugs it's as if i was play testing the game for them.
About 6 crashes, 10 or so times when various sounds just stopped, lot's of times i had to restart chapters due to game bugs. £18 was a rip off.

Pikmin 3 dude

Pikmin-3-artwork.jpg

pikmin 3 was stunning.
Even if the game was a little short the level of polish was through the roof, even for a nintendo title.

Usually yes, most parts/most interviews of it.
Not any more the website isn't posting much content as the staff were laid off.
I'm a massive fan of the first 2 oddworld games and i think a 6 is generous.
the game could have been great but my playthrough was ruined with so many bugs it's as if i was play testing the game for them.
About 6 crashes, 10 or so times when various sounds just stopped, lot's of times i had to restart chapters due to game bugs. £18 was a rip off.
Wasn't it Lorne Lanning who went off on EA about pushing unfinished products out the door recently? First the Oddbox on PC and now this...
Is the issue out yet?
Street date is 28th I think

The Aonuma quote is completely meaningless without context. You're just letting your imagination run wild with what he could mean, which is surely not a thing that has backfired on the Zelda fanbase before!
You've gotta look between the words to find the true meaning.

After this many years do you really think pointing this out is going to stop their imaginations from hearing colors and tasting sounds?

Marlowe89

I wouldn't say it's meaningless. He's literally just clarifying that he doesn't plan to implement the same kind of open world as other open world games. Of course it's a somewhat vague statement, but I don't think he intends to evoke some kind of very specific mental image of Zelda U's approach at this time.

Or maybe he does. Whatever the case I think it's an encouraging quote.

Neff

Glad Nintendo/Wii U/Bayo 2 are getting the big Edge push.

I may say a lot of shit about Edge's critical inconsistency, but it's always been an informed, insightful, and influential magazine, and the only one I miss reading.

MisterHero

I take it there's nothing about him/EAD working on Starfox.

Wow @ Miyamoto in the new building pic. He looks youthful.

It looked shit; clunky and unintuitive and with poor mission design. I'll gladly eat crow if it turns out to be a good game, but from the footage at Treehouse/E3 it looked plain bad and more like a NintendoLand mini-game.

I think you might have missed the whole point of that small demo.

Look up Gang Beasts on Youtube.

Top Bottom