• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

EDGE 271: Miyamoto / Nintendo blowout

Peltz

Apr 26, 2014
Return? He's never really left the spotlight as far as I'm concerned. Did he take a few days off or something?

Pikmin 3 shows that this man never lost his touch.

Apr 1, 2013
Kent, England
He's back from producing games to actually designing them.
Is this necessarily a good thing though; really? Wasn't his last very personal project Wii Music? And he showed Project Giant Robot at E3 like it was something to be proud of?

I mean, there's absolutely no denying at all that he's the greatest game creator that's ever lived, but I'm not convinced that he hasn't lost his once-golden touch.

Yonafunu

Oct 28, 2012
Is this necessarily a good thing though; really? Wasn't his last very personal project Wii Music? And he showed Project Giant Robot at E3 like it was something to be proud of?

I mean, there's absolutely no denying at all that he's the greatest game creator that's ever lived, but I'm not convinced that he hasn't lost his once-golden touch.
Hey, Project Giant Robot looks like a blast.

yurinka

Jan 19, 2007
Barcelona, Spain
www.capcom-town.es
Ouch, I know it isn't a game for everybody, but I love Gods Will Be Watching. :( What do they say about it?

Happy to see Hohokum and Velocity 2x. I really look forward for these 2 Vita games. I already bought the first one, but I couldn't spend too much time on it.

Guevara

Jul 27, 2009

I agree. In fact I thought Nintendo was purposely moving him back, away from day-to-day game design.

JDSN

Banned
Sep 13, 2006
Return of the King, indeed. Pikmin 3 is one of the greatest games ive played in the last decade.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Jul 7, 2010
Guess I have to buy an Edge subscription. My friend told me No Man's Sky's info blowout in this issue is awesome.

Volotaire

Oct 23, 2012
I don't follow Edge Online all that closely, but someone told me a while back that they haven't updated the website in months. All part of the Future cost-cutting nonsense
Oh I remember now. They're closing Edge Online in favour of the magazine IIRC.

Sep 11, 2011
Live you where?
It's interesting that Edge have started crediting features writers recently. Used to be the case that the magazine had one editorial voice save for the guest columnists. Speaking of which, I wish they'd bring back that Famitsu PS2 editor who wrote all his articles about Final Fantasy XI.
This is one reason I might read the issue. EDGE's crediting policy has been disappointing since they first started. I always want to know who's writing the articles! Maybe it's been changing gradually, but old EDGE (reading through FILE) has that lack of transparency that doesn't make sense (no universal voice throughout issues).

Besides, new photos of the new office.

Boy Wander

Oct 20, 2012
Some choice quotes:
Aonuma: "Since we're talking about open worlds, let's state upfront that we don't plan to have an open world in the same way other companies have been doing in recent years. "

Tezuka: "There will need to be a system for sharing courses online" talking about mario maker.

Takahashi on X: "Vehicles are called Dolls. They are 5 Times larger than a person. So to get the same feel as Xenoblade Chronicles, the map would need to be 5 times bigger. The game world in X is e in fact even bigger than that."

Kissenkopf

Banned
Feb 2, 2013
Mein Land
Some choice quotes:
Aonuma: "Since we're talking about open worlds, let's state upfront that we don't plan to have an open world in the same way other companies have been doing in recent years. "

Tezuka: "There will need to be a system for sharing courses online" talking about mario maker.

Takahashi on X: "Vehicles are called Dolls. They are 5 Times larger than a person. So to get the same feel as Xenoblade Chronicles, the map would need to be 5 times bigger. The game world in X is e in fact even bigger than that."

KooopaKid

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
4 page Bayonetta 2 preview
Interview with Miyamoto 'Return of the king' inside new Kyoto building.
Special look at next wave of Wii U games. 13 pages in all.

Nnnnnng!

chadboban

May 11, 2013
Some choice quotes:

Orniletter

Nov 20, 2013

You project Robo doubters will eat crow when they re-unveil it next year :p !

Instro

Jan 14, 2009
California
Some choice quotes:

Aonuma quote is encouraging.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Sep 12, 2010
Canada
I'm a giggling like a child, right now. I haven't been hyped for a Zelda game I know so little about since Twilight Princess.

SatoAilDarko

Mar 3, 2013
Some choice quotes:

Honestly all three of those quotes are very important. You could have a thread on the Mario Maker thing considering all the fear of being unable to share levels online.

Volotaire

Oct 23, 2012
Some choice quotes:

Hopefully the user sharing system is robust enough to have voting, tags, YouTube upload functionality. Basically, I expect at least LittleBig Planet level of sharing functionality to be implemented.

For the first, it can never be a true open world like traditional ones because Zelda focuses on tight level design around your inventory items. I'm still very intrigued how they will approach this and how it evolves from ALBW.

I really need to try Xenoblade.