• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE #278 - Bloodborne

This is why I can't take people seriously on Neogaf... I don't care how many people have deluded themselves into thinking it was worth $60..

So you created this account to bitch, because obviously Neogaf is a hive mind, echo chamber, all brainwashed into praising The Order.

Guess you missed all the fun in the Order threads leading up to release and shortly after. But don't let reality stop your cause.

Gsnap

4 means absolutely broken based on current review standards. Is it absolutely broken? I don't know, because I haven't played it. Games aren't rated in a vacuum, and no matter how much some people want to claim '5 means average' it simply isn't true today.

Short, terrible, somewhat broken budget-feeling games like Homefront and Brink have a 70 metacritic, higher than The Order.

4 means ridiculously broken, and so, yes, giving a game like The Order, which by all accounts is beautiful and unbroken, even if not what everyone wanted, a 4, is misleading at best.

Well then it's a good thing Edge and others are trying to remedy that problem by making 5 their average.

You gotta start somewhere. Might as well start with one of the most below average games ever.

The Order does very little right, a lot wrong, but most below average. 4 is a good score for it.

Manu

4 means absolutely broken based on current review standards. Is it absolutely broken? I don't know, because I haven't played it. Games aren't rated in a vacuum, and no matter how much some people want to claim '5 means average' it simply isn't true today.

Short, terrible, somewhat broken budget-feeling games like Homefront and Brink have a 70 metacritic, higher than The Order.

4 means ridiculously broken, and so, yes, giving a game like The Order, which by all accounts is beautiful and unbroken, even if not what everyone wanted, a 4, is misleading at best.

Here's some other games that got 4s from Edge:

The Godfather - Metacritic 77
Penny Arcade Adventures: Episode One - Metascore 77
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner - Metacritic 82
Legacy of Kain: Defiance - Metacritic 74
Jet Grind Radio - Metacritic 74

The Order 1886 as a Metacritic score of 65.

Tell us again how it's unfair of them.

Ooccoo

The Order score is justified. I see a lot of apologists here but honestly this game will be forgotten in a couple weeks and it was one of the worst "game" I've played this gen. Keep the filmic crap out of my hobby.

edit: I'd give the game 5-6, maybe not 4. But I certainly understand why reviewers hate it.

Here's some other games that got 4s from Edge:

The Godfather - Metacritic 77
Penny Arcade Adventures: Episode One - Metascore 77
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner - Metacritic 82
Legacy of Kain: Defiance - Metacritic 74

Jet Grind Radio - Metacritic 74

The Order 1886 as a Metacritic score of 65.

Tell us again how it's unfair of them.

They gave those games a 4 aswell? lol

For anyone interested in the main criticisms of the order:

• Concretely linear path through the game feels suffocating
  • Feels like you barely manage 30 paces without triggering either a QTE or cutscene
  • No evasive roll. Stodgy controls.
  • Too many context sensitive orders
  • Feels like you spend less time playing and more time being told what to do / watching
  • Poor AI, battles are fatiguing slogs
  • Poor camera placement makes it difficult to see enemies when taking cover

Elandyll

Banned
wow...how do they justify the 4/10 Order score?

Isn't Edge known for being a bit harsh on their scores?
I guess it's possible that another media's 5 or 6 would be a 4 with them?

I still can't fathom the 3 (Slant) or even 2 (Digital Trends) given though.
That's broken Steam Early Access shit territory right there imo.

This being said, if they hate it, they hate it. And it's not like there is an objective scale to measure all other ranking scales for game scoring out there...

What is it with the Order fanboys that can't accept review scores. It's fine to enjoy a bad game. Trying to desperately convince other people that the game is good just makes it look like you are trying to convince yourself.

Boogybro

What is it with the Order fanboys that can't accept review scores. It's fine to enjoy a bad game. Trying to desperately convince other people that the game is good just makes it look like you are trying to convince yourself.

It's like they gave ZoE 2nd Runner a 4 (I didn't know this), and it's one of the my favourite games of that gen.

And... I couldn't care less.

This is why I can't take people seriously on Neogaf.

Borrowed it the weekend after it was released because my friend was done with it by then.

That game is anything but fantastic. It the most mediocre to average game to be released this generation. Maybe I wouldn't give it a 4, but I wouldn't go higher than 5.

I don't care how many people have deluded themselves into thinking it was worth $60.

Absolutely incredible graphics though. that's always nice.

Because opinions right? Those of us that enjoyed it can't possibly have liked the game, we must be delusional.

I had a blast with it.

Short games get passes all the time. Broken games (FO, anyone) get passes all the time. Some games go through the ringer and get piled on, and The Order is one of those games. I have no idea if it's deserved or not, but it's doubtful when you compare it to other games getting similar scores.

maybe on your scale, but on Edge's scale, 4 means four.

CHC

Hooooo man it is so hard to resist reading the Bloodborne verdict highlights floating around. I really want it to be fresh, and I've spoiled myself enough lately. I can't believe it's really here, and I'm glad that Edge got an early scoop, they're pretty tough critics and a couple of the things they said have redoubled my hype.

Also I guess this was the last straw for that dualshockers guy that always seems to bring tons of drama anywhere he goes? Not really surprised

Can't wait to read the coverage for Bloodbourne!!

Plus those AAA titles really hurting in the media lately. Sad to see this trend. Hopefully devs/publishers will start to take notice.

Protome

Because opinions right? Those of us that enjoyed it can't possibly have liked the game, we must be delusional.

I had a blast with it.

It's perfectly fine to like the game, it's another thing entirely to get so upset and angry based on an arbitrary number that someone associated with it without any context of the words to back it up. Hell, even with the context it's straight up idiotic to complain about review scores.

Like you said, Opinions. People have them. The general critical opinion of The Order is it's mediocre,that doesn't make it less of a game if you enjoy it. I like it, I don't care that Edge gave it a 4, especially after reading their review in which I can't fault any of their points for not liking it. Their complaints just aren't thing that are as big a deal to me which is the point of reading a review.

maybe on your scale, but on Edge's scale, 4 means four.

For those of you who didn't buy or read edge before 2005, their scale used to roughly reflect the following sentiments:

1 - disastrous 2 - appalling 3 - severely flawed 4 - disappointing 5 - average 6 - competent 7 - distinguished 8 - excellent 9 - astounding 10 - revolutionary

It's perfectly fine to like the game, it's another thing entirely to get so upset and angry based on an arbitrary number that someone associated with it without any context of the words to back it up. Hell, even with the context it's straight up idiotic to complain about review scores.

Like you said, Opinions. People have them. The general critical opinion of The Order is it's mediocre,that doesn't make it less of a game if you enjoy it. I like it, I don't care that Edge gave it a 4, especially after reading their review in which I can't fault any of their points for not liking it. Their complaints just aren't thing that are as big a deal to me which is the point of reading a review.

I agree with all of this. I don't think it's idiotic to complain about review scores though, there's times where the number assigned is quite questionable.

Regardless I don't want to turn this into a review score debate so I'll leave that for another time

DR2K

Banned
wow...how do they justify the 4/10 Order score?

1 point for every hour of gameplay.

Metacritic has it at around 60 iirc. Doesn't seem like they need much justification. 4/10 isn't some huge outlier. Good visuals, short game, no replayability, not worth the value of admission.

Alo0oy

Banned
I see this thread has turned into another The Order thread.

lM6o8to.gif

I hadn't read the other pages in this thread until now...

Why do people care so much about these numbers? Some like a game, others don't. It's ok to like something that others don't, really. Can't we move on from this trite and get excited for the new games that are coming out soon?

Please?

Grady

Those so called bad reviews convinced me to save 60 bucks. Instead i put that 60 bucks towards Helldivers and Army Zombie Trilogy. Played both of those games for a combined 20 hours so far with no end no site until bloodborne comes out. I would say those low scores did us a favor, no?

Orayn

I hadn't read the other pages in this thread until now...

Why do people care so much about these numbers? Some like a game, others don't. It's ok to like something that others don't, really. Can't we move on from this trite and get excited for the new games that are coming out soon?

Please?

It's the funniest thing. People are fine with anything a reviewer could say about a game, but they only fixate on the number.

"Go ahead and say The Order a disgraceful piece of trash and the worst game you've ever played, BUT DON'T YOU DARE RATE IT A 5/10 OR BELOW, MOTHERFUCKER. THAT IS COMPLETELY UNCALLED FOR."

For those of you who didn't buy or read edge before 2005, their scale used to roughly reflect the following sentiments:

1 - disastrous 2 - appalling 3 - severely flawed 4 - disappointing 5 - average 6 - competent 7 - distinguished 8 - excellent 9 - astounding 10 - revolutionary
I give this thread a 2/10

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I don't agree them this time, The Order doesn't deserve this score at all, I really liked it.

I'm really excited for their Bloodborne impressions mentioned in the other thread, and looking forward to get the full version of Resident Evil Revelations 2 (I don't want to play it until I can get the retail version).

They gave Mirror's Edge a 5. I think a lot of people disagree with that too, myself included.

Not saying they're wrong on The Order, just that Edge is pretty notorious for giving out controversial review scores and this is no different. And, given the scores it's received elsewhere, this isn't even that controversial.

Hugstable

Banned
Why is there so much salt over reviews on The Order still. A 4 from Edge is really surprising? This thread is kinda embarrassing..

I had a blast with it.

I'm pretty sure anyone that rushes out to buy any game on launch day has already decided they will have a blast with it. Especially when it's critically panned and those day one buyers can't bring themselves to step back a tiny bit. That goes double for exclusives.

It would be one thing if the Order was part of a series that has had good games in the past. Maybe even if it came from a developer that was known for their third person shooters. An established fan base is one reason to ignore just about every review out there. That's understandable. A brand new exclusive IP that people rush out to buy when every sign points to it being a poor game? Then those people says it's a blast and that it's fantastic? Sorry, but no.

Yeah, opinions. Everyone gets to have one, but not everyone has a good one.

I'll be getting Bloodborne on day one. I hope it's good, but I just don't know. Especially since while I loved Dark Souls 2, the first game seemed better. A lot of people here have already decided it's going to be the best game ever. Exclusives tend to have that effect.

Bebpo

Banned
Edge gave ZoE2 a 4/10? I don't remember that as the game was well received from the gaming press in general iirc. But I guess everyone has their bad review days like IGN's 3/10 God Hand.

I'm pretty sure anyone that rushes out to buy any game on launch day has already decided they will have a blast with it. Especially when it's critically panned and those day one buyers can't bring themselves to step back a tiny bit. That goes double for exclusives.

It would be one thing if the Order was part of a series that has had good games in the past. Maybe even if it came from a developer that was known for their third person shooters. An established fan base is one reason to ignore just about every review out there. That's understandable. A brand new exclusive IP that people rush out to buy when every sign points to it being a poor game? Then those people says it's a blast and that it's fantastic? Sorry, but no.

Yeah, opinions. Everyone gets to have one, but not everyone has a good one.

Yes, they probably have. That's why they do that.

I bought it day one because everything I saw and read about it seemed like the type of game I would enjoy, and I'm guessing many others did the same. None of the concerns brought up pre-release bothered me. It's bad when people can't take criticism of a game but telling people their opinions are bad because they liked something that wasn't well received critically is equally as ignorant.

"There are moments when the game hints at what might have been... Yet despite the obvious talent at work, the studio has chosen to bury any potential under a fug of disassociative, QTE ridden game design that's as stifling as the smog that creeps through it's streets"

I love a reviewer that slams QTEs.

--R

Banned
there is a score database here. Haven't played it but American McGee's Alice sticks out like a sore thumb in that crowd too.

They gave Gods Will Be Watching and Auto Modellista a 4. That's sad, both of them are awesome games.

Edit: Mario Kart: DD got a 5, whoa.

why did kick and fennick score 5?

Good potential but level design is frustratingly exacting in its demands.
Controls mean you often feel like you are muddling through stages.
Quite repetitive.
Good overall idea but with too many flaws in design / controls to be anything more than a brief diversion.

Top Bottom