• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #292 - the virtual reality issue

@casparfield took photos of the cover
33ZxpuH.jpg

Featured
Oculus Rift [Ben Maxwell]
HTC Vive [Nathan Brown]
PlayStation VR [Simon Parkin]
Collected Works: Warren Spector [Simon Parkin]
the Making of... the Swindle [Chris Schilling]
Studio Profile: Sumo Digital [Chris Schilling]
Time Extend: World of Warcraft [Angus Morrison]

Previewed
No Man's Sky
Rachet & Clank
Deliver us to the Moon
Vampyr
Umbrella Corps
Monster Hunter Generations

Reviewed
Dark Souls III [9] / PS4. includes post script
Tom Clancy's the Division [6] / PS4. includes post script
Hitman [8] / PC. includes post script with Christian Elverdam (creative director)
Superhot [7] / PC
Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 [7] / PS4
Pokkén Tournament [6] / Wii U
Devil Daggers [8] / PC
Moon Hunters [6] / PC

#293 on sale April 29
teaser is an orange line sort of like you'd see in Mini Metro's tube lines

subscription info / scores archive

this should hit digital stockists and newsagents by April 4 at the latest

They don't run bylines for reviews.

Oh shit, you're right; I forgot about that. Actually, looking back at their previous scores, only Bloodborne has been given a 10 by Edge while the "Souls" have all been 9/10s (including Demon's). That's not to say that an Edge 9 isn't fantastic.

silva1991

Who reviewed Dark Souls III? Edge gave Bloodborne a perfect 10 previously.

Expected.

I actually predict that DS3 will score less than 90 metascore. not because it's inferior to BB or DS2, but because fatigue and it's not as fresh as BB.

I hope I'm wrong tho.

Oh shit, you're right; I forgot about that. Actually, looking back at their previous scores, only Bloodborne has been given a 10 by Edge while the "Souls" have all been 9/10s (including Demon's). That's not to say that an Edge 9 isn't fantastic.

Didn't they update their DS1 score and gave it 10 in like 2014? pretty sure they did.

Expected.

I actually predict that DS3 will score less than 90 metascore. not because it's inferior to BB or DS2, but because fatigue and it's not as fresh as BB.

I hope I'm wrong tho.

Didn't they update their DS1 score and gave it 10 in like 2014? pretty sure they did.

Yeah, the "fatigue" will likely keep it from scoring on par with Bloodborne, even if reviewers generally think it's a better game (I haven't played it yet, so I can't give my opinion). I never tire of these games, so it won't impact my enjoyment.

Oh, did they increase it? Well deserved if so.

What a glorious 10 it was.

Which was a terrific decision. If Bloodborne ain't a 10/10 I don't know what is.

Indeed!

Who reviewed Dark Souls III? Edge gave Bloodborne a perfect 10 previously.

Nathan Brown would be my guess, he writes most things FROM for Edge.
Shame Miyazaki couldn't bag his third Edge ten in a row, would've been a unique accomplishment.
Not that an Edge nine is anything to be disappointed with of course.

faridmon

I wonder what sort of things they criticised Super Hot for are. 7, while good, implies that they had a few complaints about it. It was super short, but that is the only negative I have experienced it.

Man

Bloodborne is the most tightly designed and 'flawless' Souls (though I haven't played DS3 yet). How the world intertwines is a thing of beauty. It also improved on the gameplay with its focus on more aggressive combat and window-of-life-reclaim. It also goes full-on Lovecraft.

Bloodborne is the most tightly designed and 'flawless' Souls. It also improved on the gameplay with its focus on more aggressive combat and window-of-life-reclaim. It also goes full-on Lovercraft.

I love it and it was my first platinum on PS4, but it's lacking in many ways (PvP, covenants and build variety and weapons) and also the chalice dungeons aren't great either.

bigol

Bloodborne is the most tightly designed and 'flawless' Souls. It also improved on the gameplay with its focus on more aggressive combat and window-of-life-reclaim. It also goes full-on Lovercraft.

Maybe it's because my first love is Dark Souls 1 and i prefer its style and content, but i don't think Bloodborne deserves a 10.

It has several annoying flaws.

Loading times are bad, weapon variety is not good enough (i'm just replaying it now and enjoying it but with a DLC weapon)
Level design is great, but not interconnected like it was in DS1
The game was just too much brown colors everywhere
Qol improvements all disappeared
Online is absolutely not at the same level of Ds1 or D2 levels just because weapon variety is too limited
Chalice dungeons are so similar and boring, The problem is if you want to improve your build for ng+ you just have to go there and farm gems to improve damage.

Yeah, i'm comparing it to Dark Souls series, but even not considering it as part of the Souls games it's nowhere near a 10.

You are correct, but in one of their special issues they changed Dark Souls 1 to a 10/10.

is that a 6 for The Division?

Yes, but bear in mind that Edge use the full scale, so a 6/10 translates to a decent above average game.

Cover is pretty rad, as usual.

But fucking hell, people getting so wound up at Dark Souls 3 only getting a 9. Game will be great and if you loved the first games chances are you'll love this one too, stop sweating bullets over meta-scores.

Bloodborne to me is a quality over quantity game. Is it perfect? No, but nothing is and it comes close enough. It's incredibly coherent in its world building and setting, nails Lovecraft like no game before with FROM's best lore to date and does enough to keep things fresh. Not jus in terms of lore and setting, but gameplay as well. The transforming weapons are fantastic, as is the focus on agression and offense (which neatly ties into the lore as well). I love that dash and gun parry, it makes most RPG combat look and feel so slow in comparison. Tight level design and awesome bosses as well. I prefer it to the Souls games, but I've yet to play DS3.

It's probably my favorite game of all time, so definitely a ten for me. Looking forward to DS3.

Murray talks candidly about his experiences and struggle being part of a press tour. He singles out NeoGAF anticipating a post release back lash.

Seems like it is a really good read.. Might post quotes later.

I wonder what sort of things they criticised Super Hot for are. 7, while good, implies that they had a few complaints about it. It was super short, but that is the only negative I have experienced it.
I'm in a different country so I can't read up the review but yeah I'm interested in the criticisms too. Very fresh experience for me.

Murray talks candidly about his experiences and struggle being part of a press tour. He singles out NeoGAF anticipating a post release back lash.

Seems like it is a really good read.. Might post quotes later.

GAF's already well into pre-release backlash mode so I have no doubt people will lose their minds come release.

Would appreciate a few choice quotes.

2009: Demon's Souls 2009 (2010 in Europe)
2011: Dark Souls
2014: Dark Souls 2
2015: Bloodborne
2015: Dark Souls 2: SotFS
2016: Dark Souls 3

Edge scores:

10 (revisited)

As long as FROM keeps this level of quality, I'm only happy they release so many games.

That said, we already know 3 will be the end of DS for now. I do expect a Bloodborne 2, but it'll be interesting to see what else we can expect from them.

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know when the digital edition of Edge will become available on iOS? Not sure, but there seems to be a delay for it and I want to read that review ASAP ...

Koren

Yes, but bear in mind that Edge use the full scale, so a 6/10 translates to a decent above average game.
I don't think they use fully the 0-10 range, even if they use lower scores than many others (which is nice).

Edge's average score is 6.4, so 6 is actually *below* average (still perfectly decent).

I don't think they use fully the 0-10 range, even if they use lower scores than many others (which is nice).

Edge's average score is 6.4, so 6 is actually *below* average (still perfectly decent).

Edge's average score is higher because they only review a few games each month and so can pick and choose which ones to review a bit better.

They'd tend to only review bad games if they were huge releases, or there was some other specific reason for doing so.

Top Bottom