• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Dark Souls II Preview

BPw7TG_CEAA7RGt.jpg:large
Perfect response.

Also, I wonder if you can use it to "delevel" yourself for matchmaking purposes.

That would be profoundly broken. You know those people who run through the game at lv.1 so they can invade people with end-game equipment in the first area of the game? Imagine how many of those we'd have if all you had to do was de-level yourself. Having the skill to get those items at a low level is a fair barrier to having such a powerful advantage over early-game players.

THAT SAID, a good way to counter that would be to enforce stricter stat requirements on items. But then you'd have enhancements to worry about. I'm not convinced a system like that could ever be balanced.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
That would be profoundly broken. You know those people who run through the game at lv.1 so they can invade people with end-game equipment in the first area of the game? Imagine how many of those we'd have if all you had to do was de-level yourself. Having the skill to get those items at a low level is a fair barrier to having such a powerful advantage over early-game players.

THAT SAID, a good way to counter that would be to enforce stricter stat requirements on items. But then you'd have enhancements to worry about. I'm not convinced a system like that could ever be balanced.

Like i said before armors now have stat requirements so that's a good way to counter that

Good point.

Gorillaz

That's why they should not reduce your actual soul level when you de-spec, but always keep adding to it when you add points back. That way if you keep going back and forth for invasion purposes, you would be level 100 but with the stat total of someone at level 70 (for example). Give an incentive to getting it right the first time and not abusing it.

I assume it isn't as easy as just deleveling/specing and like that you are "x level". It just seems too easy, it's probably something like you said

I noticed in the "ON-LINE COMPONENT" section is says "the game will automatically connect INTERESTED players". Leading me to believe there will indeed be some way for players to avoid pvp without going completely offline. ?

Soriku

That's why they should not reduce your actual soul level when you de-spec, but always keep adding to it when you add points back. That way if you keep going back and forth for invasion purposes, you would be level 100 but with the stat total of someone at level 70 (for example). Give an incentive to getting it right the first time and not abusing it.

This sounds lame. They should let you keep your level, but just move the stats.

Dresden

It should completely drain both your levels and your stats. There has to be consequences for deciding to change your character - the bonus here should be that you keep your gear.

It's basically what we had with the bottomless box glitch for years on consoles, and it's not as disruptive as it sounds.

Didn't see this. I'd be okay with this.

Bell Bros are going to get farmed so hard by gankers. forest hunters 2.0

Good. Forest was the only place you could 2v2 and it was awesome. Sure theres lots of "ganking" but thats part of the fun.

I just hope there are some decent enemies there is at least aid invaders.

So the known covenants are:

Blue Man Group
Blood Bros
Bell Bros
Sun Bros

Theres also a group the governs both the sentinels and blood brothers iirc. A bit like the Darkmoon's.

Gazoinks

Someone on reddit translated all the info of the website, check it out:

The Soul Vessel is by far the most interesting part, maybe it is a way to respec stat points?

Some cool stuff I hadn't heard in here. NPCs look interesting, and the Soul Vessel is definitely pretty cool.

Man, I really need them to hurry up with a boxed PC version so I can lock down my preorder. >.>

I have no issue with a respec option - I liked the feeling of finality that came with leveling up in the first two, but whatever, I don't have to use it if I don't want to. I think the respec should force you to use every last one of the points you've gained. I don't like the idea of getting the best gear in the game and then leveling up to the point where you're able to use them and then stopping. Sounds easily exploitable.

Oh yeah, completely forgot about that. Isn't the death penalty for being killed by an invader less now though? I'd been kinda staying away from media about the game for some reason.

Not sure about other penalties, but I know your life bar gets progressively smaller the more you die while Hollow, so dying to invaders (and dying in general) has even more penalties than last time. They've basically just made the system more brutal, not more forgiving.

Zaventem

I noticed in the "ON-LINE COMPONENT" section is says "the game will automatically connect INTERESTED players". Leading me to believe there will indeed be some way for players to avoid pvp without going completely offline. ?

You could play Demon Souls "offline" while connected to the net so maybe that?

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Not sure about other penalties, but I know your life bar gets progressively smaller the more you die while Hollow, so dying to invaders (and dying in general) has even more penalties than last time. They've basically just made the system more brutal, not more forgiving.

That's kind of some shit, especially if Dickwraiths ends up being only covenant that works worth a crap again.

50% is the decrease limit and the game runs on servers now so it's a welcome return to what we had in Demon's and not have "summoning failed/invasion failed" 50% of the time like Dark Souls.

Dedicated servers will undoubtedly help, but From still needs to design covenants that work realistically in the game. Every covenant needs to be able to slap down their sign or whatever and do what they signed up to do within a minute or two of deciding to do it, IMO. The issue with more specialized covenants like Darkmoon was that no one ever sinned so you barely ever invaded. If DSII gives each convenant a large pool of other players to play with (whether that be hurting them or helping them) then things should be fine.

Grrrr... this is really the only new game for the PS3 that has me tempted. I still play my PS3 probably more than my PS4 simply due to all the games I've gotten from Plus, but I promised myself that I would stop buying new PS3 retail titles once the PS4 launched.

Only within the last month have I gotten into both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls (finished both and loved it) and given the age of those games I'd wager that I'd still be able to enjoy the online play of DS2 well after its initial release as well. It'll be one of those things that I'll curse myself over, but I feel like I ought to wait and see if/when they release a version for the PS4.

Anyway, played the beta and had fun. This game looks awesome and I'm glad that it's nearly here.

eot

Banned
People do have sin, they're just not eligible for invasions because they've probably beaten most bosses.

Zaventem

Dedicated servers will undoubtedly help, but From still needs to design covenants that work realistically in the game. Every covenant needs to be able to slap down their sign or whatever and do what they signed up to do within a minute or two of deciding to do it, IMO. The issue with more specialized covenants like Darkmoon was that no one ever sinned so you barely ever invaded. If DSII gives each convenant a large pool of other players to play with (whether that be hurting them or helping them) then things should be fine.

That's true, you also have to remember sinning was only given to people who got indicted so that was another big oversight and a huge number of people including myself never purchased an indictment till late game or even choose not to indict them even if i had it with me. If it's done automatically now it'll be pretty good.

That's true, you also have to remember sinning was only given to people who got indicted so that was another big oversight and a huge number of people including myself never purchased an indictment till late game or even choose not to indict them even if i had it with me. If it's done automatically now it'll be pretty good.

Yeah, I forgot, the joy of getting the "u mad" message after indicting someone. The whole system got stigmatized as something only salty losers used so people stopped using it. I stocked up on indictment slips early and always used them, not because I didn't want to be invaded but to give Darkmoons (and the people they invade) something to do.

i-Lo

Looking closely at these, it is clear that these can be used realtime on current gen system (poly count and texture work). I think FROM had it planned all along.

ds2-blacksmith-lenigr3non8.jpg

ds2-blue-sentinel-tarfronl.jpg

ds2-emerald-heraldsqp5h.jpg

ds2-lucatiel-of-mirrav6ozy.jpg

ds2-maughlin-the-armolkp8s.jpg

ds2-merchant-hag-melevtp6t.jpg

ds2-milibeth-the-housv7pnk.jpg

ds2-old-ladyahqce.jpg

Gazoinks

Lucatiel is awesome. As soon as he has nothing to offer me I am going to murder the crap out of him for his armor. :p

Assuming that's how you get it, at least. Kinda hope not, that was the one thing that kinda bothered me about the DLC. More mini-quests like Lautrec and Kirk would be cool.

Feindflug

That's kind of some shit, especially if Dickwraiths ends up being only covenant that works worth a crap again.

My guess is that there will be a way to avoid invasions...most possible scenario is by wearing a specific ring, this way if you want to avoid invasions you can but you will get "punished" with losing a ring slot. :p

It should completely drain both your levels and your stats. There has to be consequences for deciding to change your character - the bonus here should be that you keep your gear.

I think the Soul Vessel should drain your levels and stats, but give you the number of souls back that are needed to get back up to the level you were (or close anyways). Basically, it should just let you keep your level, but change your stats. I mean, it's a vessel, you'd think it would be able to hold all those souls. :p

I know that's probably an unpopular opinion around here. As someone who mainly plays these games for PVE, having the ability to change stats/"classes" when I felt like it (basically be a job system like in other RPGs) would be neat and add some variety to the combat without having to start a new character. I do think there should be some sort of cost to do this so you couldn't spam it every 5 minutes, but I wouldn't have a problem if that's something people wanted to do.

Again, I know that's probably not a popular opinion. *shrug*

Top Bottom