• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: "Power struggle: the real differences between PS4 and Xbox One performance"

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
How does snap mode handle controller and kinect inputs? How does it know which one gets those inputs?

Everything shown so far indicates voice commands. I'd guess that you might also be able to use that switch button to change the context of controller inputs.

Tsundere

Banned
No I haven't heard anything. It just makes sense that Sony is trying to up speeds in some way since even when there was parity between Xbox and PS4 they still didn't announce a final spec. Only reason not to is if they are really pushing to do something.

Didn't one (or more) of the insiders hint at both parties thinking of upclocking? Obviously Microsoft already did.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
PSP isn't running at 1.6GHz AFAIK.
Sony probably traded overclocking for a better form factor (and less noise).

...and GDDR5 is another "nasty" heat source.

Clocks speeds are are not the only thing that matter, PSP is not 28nm or actively cooled, so you logic doesn't follow. The gddr5 is also not part of the APU and is passively cooled so nothing nasty about it. Overclocking a part of the APU is a small change to TDP and power, their design has to have overhead built in. These are not major changes as we have seen with the XB1 making last minute clock adjustments to help narrow the gulf.

McHuj

Post launch upclock is wishful thinking.

If there is an upclock on the either the GPU or CPU it already happened and all shipping units are already enabled for that. We just haven't heard anything publicly yet. That's certainly possible.

If they have planned on upclocking the APU, then they pretty much have to test all the chips for that target frequency, and if they all have been tested for that frequency, then they can enable that as they're building the unit.

*thinks back to what it would mean to be stuck with launch 360 and PS3 firmwares*

Please tell me you be trollin'
Sorry it must of been the way I worded it.
No I'm definitely not suggesting that Sony shouldn't update their software, that would be beyond stupid. The conversation was about whether at some later date Sony can flip a switch and upclock the Ps4.

So imagine that Sony announces in a couple of years time "Hey guys good news we've now overclocked your Playstation" and then something goes wrong with it. Sony would be inundated with people claiming that Sony broke their Ps4s. It wouldn't be worth it for a marginal increase to already the more powerful console.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Do we even know for sure that it's 800/1600? That was never confirmed right?

The GPU clock has been confirmed multiple time directly and indirectly by official statements and sources (e.g. the indirectly by the official TFLOP figure, and directly by a presentation on the GPU's capabilities). The CPU clock has been known from the leaked documents and can be inferred from the screenshot of a profiling tool from the KZ:SF postmortem slides. In contrast to the GPU, however, those figures are rather old, and there has been never an official statement about the CPU clock.

Lady Gaia

I'm sure if it's well engineered size should not be an issue

I wouldn't go as far as "not an issue" because larger surface areas can be used to more effectively radiate heat. However it isn't meaningful to equate the size of the box with the effectiveness of cooling. Controlling air flow is more important than having large bodies of air, where you can get air moving rapidly in the open but slowly next to radiating surfaces where you need it. Time will tell how well the two different cooling designs work in practice.

I wouldn't go as far as "not an issue" because larger surface areas can be used to more effectively radiate heat. However it isn't meaningful to equate the size of the box with the effectiveness of cooling. Controlling air flow is more important than having large bodies of air, where you can get air moving rapidly in the open but slowly next to radiating surfaces where you need it. Time will tell how well the two different cooling designs work in practice.

That's what I meant although you articulated it so nicely. Controlling air flow is critical. An example is the new Mac Pro. It's tiny

vpance

They've already mentioned 1.84TF many times in presentations. Still, I think there's headroom for clock adjustments later.

They've already mentioned 1.84TF many times in presentations. Still, I think there's headroom for clock adjustments later.

Mark-Cerny.jpg

In Cerny we trust.

Finalizer

I think it's far more likely the PS4 will get the upclock from factory to be honest

Not convinced 1.6 is going to be the launch CPU clock speed

Don't really expect them to change the GPU though

I dunno, I'm probably reading too much into things, but I get the feeling that part of the reason they're getting good enough yields to launch in NA, EU, and Asia (except Japan) all within this year is that they're likely staying on the conservative side with CPU/GPU clocks. Would be a bit surprised if they really bothered with upclocks of any sort.

Hoping we'll get the details at that tech keynote thingy.

EDIT: Food for thought - keeping the system on the conservative side should help keep heating issues minimal, and might make it that much easier for them to make a cheaper slim revision earlier down the line.

...and GDDR5 is another "nasty" heat source.

GDDR5 heat is inconsequential.

I dunno, I'm probably reading too much into things, but I get the feeling that part of the reason they're getting good enough yields to launch in NA, EU, and Asia (except Japan) all within this year is that they're likely staying on the conservative side with CPU/GPU clocks. Would be a bit surprised if they really bothered with upclocks of any sort.

Hoping we'll get the details at that tech keynote thingy.

Yeah that is the most logical outcome but I am a dreamer I guess

thought id just check out his site... and found this lol

http://misterxmedia.livejournal.com/135777.html

more fuel for this thread

What im getting from reading the comments from that site is there will be a big announcement after a NDA expires and it will make the Xbox One the #1 system after the announcement. Also found this in comments
1.3tflop block is the gpgpu. Not the whole gpu.

GPGPU calculations= textures/particles/shading. 360 had unified shader arch. its was the first prototype gpgpu.

X1 geometry engine is 1.7billion poly/s. Polys dont have flops now?? not true. 1.7bp/s= 0.97tflops

1.3tflop GPGPU + 0.97tflop geometry engine= 2.37tflops for X1 gpu.

I have posted this several times but it seems not alot of people are on the same page here
is this math right?

What im getting from reading the comments from that site is there will be a big announcement after a NDA expires and it will make the Xbox One the #1 system after the announcement. Also found this in comments is this math right?

You are aware all that is total BS? i mean really? people believe that shit?

What im getting from reading the comments from that site is there will be a big announcement after a NDA expires and it will make the Xbox One the #1 system after the announcement. Also found this in comments is this math right?

If that math was correct MS wouldn't be using "we created direct x" as an argument

DBT85

The math is irrelevant. It's utter bollocks.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think it's safe to assume Sony stick to 800/1600 MHz to avoid noise and overheat.
Microsoft is using the same technology on a larger die with 853/1750 MHz clocks.
They say specs were too conservative so they had that 53/150 MHz overclock...
...I'd be a little afraid.

It would not surprise me if Sony release a firmware update in a couple of years to up-clock it. No need to do it now.

Well that would be a nice surprise would it not?

If there was any truth to it MS wouldn't be giving away free games .

They are making a big nothing about a 225W Power Brick. First of all Wattage in a PSU is subjective to how many independent rails you have so 225W on one PSU is not equivalent to another. Also the XB1 ( like the pS4) is a PC. A 225W PSU is small . You need something larger to handle spike loads from the HD or BD spinning up etc...
They are making a big huff about nothing...

thuway

I won't say anything about the specifics of the tech demos I can't. However, they focused on things like the way weather and the environment affects a player. There was also one where they focused on the elements of light and dark and fear on a characte. That's it for me.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I won't say anything about the specifics of the tech demos I can't. However, they focused on things like the way weather and the environment affects a player. There was also one where they focused on the elements of light and dark and fear on a characte. That's it for me.

You've done good bird. *offers a mango*

vpance

Good stuff, thanks.

Drake scared as hell during a lightning storm on a boat confirmed :p

SunSunich

misterx is just little russian boy with some kind of mental disorder, based on love to xbox brand. There is no math in his blog, just his fantasies.

Sounds like Eternal Darkness.

There is no chatter of an upclock. It's not impossible that it will happen later but honestly... it doesn't matter as much as you guys think it does. Developers getting access to powerful tools is much more important at this point than just a brute force upgrade like a small upclock. But "developer tools" doesn't allow for internet pissing contests...

The PS4 is the most powerful system this gen. It's also the easiest to develop for. That's it. That's all you need to know. Everything from here on out is about taking advantage of those facts... not doing some small ass upclock to beat MS on a sheet of paper.

There is no chatter of an upclock. It's not impossible that it will happen later but honestly... it doesn't matter as much as you guys think it does. Developers getting access to powerful tools is much more important at this point than just a brute force upgrade like a small upclock. But "developer tools" doesn't allow for internet pissing contests...

The PS4 is the most powerful system this gen. It's also the easiest to develop for. That's it. That's all you need to know. Everything from here on out is about taking advantage of those facts... not doing some small ass upclock to beat MS on a sheet of paper.

Have you been hearing about the speed of development on the PS4 at all?

Some of the mentions thus far on how long porting to the PS4 takes is crazy

In a good way of course

thuway

It just bothers me when developers get lazy because the system is easy to develop for. How Battlefield 4 doesn't run at 1080p says more about how DICE is treating ports internally than it does about the PS4. The same can also be said about Need for Speed Rivals not running at 60 FPS.

Tsundere

Banned
It just bothers me when developers get lazy because the system is easy to develop for. How Battlefield 4 doesn't run at 1080p says more about how DICE is treating ports internally than it does about the PS4.

It's all bureaucracy anyway, if the people in charge don't want to spend the resources in optimizing the game for certain platforms, then they won't, even if it "gimps" the final product.

Have you been hearing about the speed of development on the PS4 at all?

Some of the mentions thus far on how long porting to the PS4 takes is crazy

In a good way of course

Yeah. Cerny's "time to triangle" stuff wasn't marketing bullshit. Well, obviously, because the market had no idea what he was talking about, but you know what I mean. The PS4 is extremely easy to port to. There's many stories floating around of "we decided to mess around with a ps4 dev kit and had the game running in 3 weeks." I believe I read a story (wasn't told first hand... and I'm assuming if I read it that it was posted here as well) about CoD getting ported in a small amount of time and running at like 90 fps... while the xbox one port took longer and was running like shit.

Which is a double edged sword. I think a lot of the multiplats are going to be kinda rough because they ported them over easily and didn't even bother trying to take advantage of the platform. Those teams will spend much more time on the xbox one versions getting them up to the PS4 level.

Once cross gen stuff dies down and developers only have to focus on three versions (adding PC in the mix) you will see the difference much more. And exclusives, of course, will be wildly better.

thuway

It's all bureaucracy anyway, if the people in charge don't want to spend the resources in optimizing the game for certain platforms, then they won't, even if it "gimps" the final product.
PS4 is capable of some amazing stuff. Two years from now you all will be asking yourselves why the hell wasn't BF4 running at 1080p or why Watch Dogs took such a nose dive in visuals after the initial unveil.

Top Bottom