• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge: Sony trumps Microsoft again with a confident comprehensive showcase at Gamescom

After a series of turnarounds and with FIFA and Call Of Duty in its corner, following Microsoft was a more difficult task for Sony at Gamescom than at E3. All PlayStation had to do was turn up and collect the spoils back in June, but here, with significantly revised competition and the temperature rising ever higher as we lead into launch, it felt like Sony needed to remind us exactly why it has gathered so much goodwill with its new console.

It succeeded, with what seemed like an unending list of new indie games, some promising new partnerships, a neat demo of Vita’s Remote Play capabilities, price cuts for Vita and PS3, and a PS4 release date. It even found time for a dig at Microsoft’s string of reversals and compromises. By the conclusion of Sony’s comprehensive press showcase, the crowd almost seemed weary from the need to applaud each and every new announcement.

By this point Sony was tossing out major announcements for fun – Minecraft will be a PS4 launch game; PS3’s 12GB model will now cost €199 / $199; players that have bought a cross-gen PS3 game will be able to download the PS4 version for a reduced price when they upgrade.

Then the real crowd-pleasers. Faced by a deluge of announcements, crowd applause had grown a little weary so an obvious dig at Microsoft added some spice to the finale: “Where others have shifted their message and changed their story, we were consistent,” said Andrew House, confirming that PS4 would be launched in 32 countries in total. In America, PS4 will be launched on November 15, with Europe to follow on November 29.

Microsoft might have touted the industry’s two biggest series alongside its console at Gamescom earlier today, but that offering was, once again, trumped by the sheer volume and integrity of Sony’s announcements. PS4 remains the frontrunner in the next-gen race, a console that boasts the more creative and interesting approach to next gen play, a truly coherent featureset and – throughout it all – vitally, a lower price.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/sony-triumphs-again-with-playstation/

K.Sabot

It's definitely a good volume of games, but I didn't expect much out of Microsoft after hearing there was no stream of the event.

Fifa packins might be a bigger story/announcement than all of those small games when talking about Europe though.

E256-cover.jpg

Im still very apprehensive of getting a ps4 at launch, none of ps3 stuff will work on it...and there's so many good stuff still releasing on ps3...

Dinjooh

It was a good showing, but lack of any big first party surprise games was a bit disappointing.

If SCE didn't have a good history of providing first party support, i'd be worried. But as of now, i'm just happy to see so many different games being announced, whilst still knowing all the good stuff that's bound to come from first party.

eso76

yeah..i mean..
we saw the conferences ourselves, why do we need edge to tell us what to think about MS and Sony showing ?

Marvel

could never
I was happy with it... I wanted some more light shed on Sony's Indie plans and I got it. Plus VGA's TGS is when we will no doubt see the other secret AAA heavy hitters debut in some shape or form.

Plus, Shadow of The Beast. Fuck yeah.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I dont know about anyone else but for a non E3 conference I thought it was great. A vita/PS3 price drop, PS4 release and plenty of game announcements.

Realistically what more could you ask for?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's definitely a good volume of games, but I didn't expect much out of Microsoft after hearing there was no stream of the event.

Fifa packins might be a bigger story/announcement than all of those small games when talking about Europe though.

It's one of temporary consequence, though, that does little to alter the conclusions in their last paragraph.

PS4 remains the frontrunner in the next-gen race, a console that boasts the more creative and interesting approach to next gen play, a truly coherent featureset and – throughout it all – vitally, a lower price.

That announcement if anything is a reflection of the uncompetitive state of Microsoft's rollout that Edge has eloquently described in the past couple of months.

Pug

I think Edge would have made itself look a bit ridiculous if in a matter a month they changed their tune. It does acknowledge that FIFA announcement was big and that MS won the day with that. And considering MS didn't have a press conference as such it's no great surprise is it?

It would have been, if it was more than just launch consoles. I think everyone took for granted that Microsoft was going to sell out at launch; Microsoft didn't seem to think so and the added pack in game will certainly help.

I'm not sure how Microsoft could have competed without having a conference stream of their own though.

Yawnier

Banned
It was a good showing, but lack of any big first party surprise games was a bit disappointing.

Good, they have E3 and the VGAs to announce what Naughty Dog, SSM, and the rest of the bigger studios are working on. We know that PS4 games from them are definitely coming, its more or less a matter of when they are revealed.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I guess we all know which edge Edge is edging toward. I'm a little surprised myself. These articles always seem somewhat volatile. Very on-edge.

I'll crawl back to my dungeon now...

Jack cw

Seriously? They focused on the system and its launch, showed many Indie games and First Party games from their worldwide studios - Ryme, Murasaki Baby etc. I am so sick of this "Modern Warfare Shooter AAA bullshit" that I am tankful to Sony that they showed something different and appealing.

Dusky

It was slightly disappointing but still gets me excited knowing that they have many unannounced first party games to show.

I though it was a decent conference considering there wasn't one first party studio announcement.

Tobor

MS: FIFA pack in and some hot air.

Sony: Games, games, games, games, more games, 1 million preorders.

Yes, Sony won.

bidguy

Banned
the lack of any big game announcement was disappointing though.
guess the big games are too early in development. not a fan of indie games so i think my decision to sell my ps4 on release is set in stone.

Sorc3r3r

I do not want to judge, but i can say that after yesterday the PS4 is a "true" playstation console in my eyes.
The huge varity of games, from AAA to artistic, experimental and now nostalgia games too.
Yup a playstation indeed.
Bravo Sony!

My only problem with Sony's conference was the Ubisoft shit.
If they swapped that out with even one first party reveal it would have been an excellent show.
Still though, it was a good show for Sony, my initial disappointment quickly dissipated when I realised it was simply further solidifying Sony's vision for the platform.

So when exactly did edge become Sony PR lol.

They announced a new Shadow of the Beast.

If you want to win over the older crusty British gaming press, reviving something that hasnt been seen since the Amiga seems like a great place to start. They love that kind of shit.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
As an outsider in this war and equally not interested in buying either this year I think it was not that obvious. Microsoft got back a lot of ground in this race practically. Microsoft scored points with a lot of "first launch on XBone" while Sony let the indies steal the show. It looked quite equal showing to me.

Even Sony's dig at Microsoft was not that spectacular this time compared to E3 and seemed forced. Like a racer leading a race and seeing a competitor approaching and shouting "I was the first to be the leader and maintained my position, take that!".

Jack cw

I think Edge would have made itself look a bit ridiculous if in a matter a month they changes their tune. It does acknowledge that FIFA announcement was big and that MS won the day with that. And considering MS didn't have a press conference as such it's no great surprise is it?

Not really. They HAD to do something. The pre order situtation was and is a disaster. The PS4 is leading globaly around 3:1 in pre orders and in parts of the EU even double the rate. Fifa was a decent move to push some consoles but in the end FIFA in EU is labeld with Playstation. Its not like people a dumb or anything. They see the price and the value. But it was a good move. This market needs competion.

Top Bottom