• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edmonton Killer Gets Canada's "Harshest Sentence" since 1962

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fixed1979

Travis Baumgartner, the former armoured car guard who shot four of his co-workers, three fatally, in a robbery on the University of Alberta campus in June 2012, was sentenced Wednesday to life in prison with no chance of parole for 40 years.

It’s the harshest sentence handed down in Canada since Arthur Lucas was executed in 1962 for the murder of a police informant.

LINK

Couldn't even find a thread on this guy, which is a little surprising. As someone living in Alberta it's been hard not to follow this case. One of the few times I don't feel completely embarrassed by the Canadian justice system when dealing with serious crimes. I wouldn't be upset to see him never get out.

Lock if old.

EDIT:

Additional information for people unfamiliar
The five G4S members arrived at HUB Mall just after midnight on June 15, 2012. Baumgartner, Shegelski, Ilesic and Schuman went into the mall, entering a secured vestibule behind a bank of TD ATMs.

As Ilesic and Schuman crouched to refill the machine, with Shegelski looking on, Baumgartner removed his G4S-issued .38-calibre revolver and began shooting.

All three victims were shot at point-blank range.

Michelle Shegelski, 26, was one of three guards shot dead last June.Michelle Shegelski, 26, was one of three guards shot dead last June. (CBC)
After firing all six bullets from his gun, Baumgartner left the vestibule, locking the three victims inside.

He then reloaded his gun in the mall stairwell before going back outside. Baumgartner approached the armoured car where Rejano was waiting for his colleagues and shot him three times in the head.

Leaving Rejano lying on the pavement, Baumgartner got in the driver’s seat and drove away.

Surviving guard found
Several people called 911 in the minutes after Baumgartner’s departure, many reporting the sound of gunshots.

Two members of the university’s campus safewalk program entered HUB Mall after hearing a “thud” from inside the building.

Tracing the sound to the TD ATM vestibule, the two volunteers saw blood coming from underneath the door and could hear Schuman’s cries for help.

One of the volunteers then left to lead responding police to the scene.

Because the locked door to the vestibule opened outward, it was impossible for police to batter it down quickly.

As one officer ran to his car for more tools, a second stayed by the door and tried to talk to Schuman, who continued to yell “help me.”

Using a pickaxe, battering ram, sledge hammer and bolt cutters, seven officers eventually managed to pry open the door and enter the vestibule.

There, they found the bodies of Shegelski and Ilesic alongside Schuman, who had been shot in the head but was still conscious and speaking.

Because of Schuman’s profound injuries, paramedics were not able to take him down the nearest stairway.

Instead, they had to carry him the full length of HUB Mall to another exit — a distance equalling about four city blocks — all the while not knowing where the shooter was.

Matthew Schuman: The road to recovery
Baumgartner’s flight
As emergency crews were working to save Schuman’s life, Baumgartner drove the stolen armoured car back to the G4S worksite where he parked next to his own truck.

Security cameras at the site recorded him unloading three packages of cash from the vehicle into his own truck.

He then left the rest of the cash in the armoured car and drove away.

Before leaving the city, Baumgartner stopped at the homes of two friends in Sherwood Park, leaving them money.

He then returned to his mother’s house where he changed his clothes and left a pile of cash on the kitchen table.

Baumgartner then swapped his licence plate for one from his mother’s vehicle and drove away, heading west.

Somewhere near Banff, Alta., Baumgartner discarded his G4S gun and security vest in a river.

Baumgartner was arrested days later when he tried to cross the border station at the Port of Lyndon near Langley, B.C.

The “armed and dangerous” alert sounded from the licence plate reader as he approached the customs booth, prompting U.S. authorities to move in and arrest him.

At the time, Baumgartner had $333,580 in cash in his truck and no passport.

LINK

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
HUB mall had the arcade I used to hang out in as a kid..

I remember this happening.

I also remember thinking that this guy is one of the least intelligent criminals I'd heard of. With all the evidence and witnesses he left behind he might as well have just turned himself in. How did he think he was going to get away with this?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
This was an episode of Person of interest, wasn't it?

Fixed1979

I remember this happening.

I also remember thinking that this guy is one of the least intelligent criminals I'd heard of. With all the evidence and witnesses he left behind he might as well have just turned himself in. How did he think he was going to get away with this?

That's pretty much it, some guy who's really not that intelligent gets a job that gives him a gun and acess to large sums of money. 58k in debt and 58cents to his name. Seemed odd to me that G4S would even hire the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom