• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM: Final Fantasy Versus XIII a No Show at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it takes place in XIII's universe. Something akin to Type-0 would suffice, however. FF Noctis?

Didn't they pretty much say from the start XIII, Versus, and (when it was Agito) Type-0 were not based in the same Universe? Just shared some kinda common mythology or something.

Nibel

Whatever their plans are with that "universe": Versus has an own distinctive look and style and deserves to have its own universe like almost every other mainline FF.

Speaking of Type-0, I wonder if it'll finally be at E3? At this point they have to have moved to a new platform for it though (3DS, Vita, HD Remaster) for a viable western release.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Speaking of Type-0, I wonder if it'll finally be at E3? At this point they have to have moved to a new platform for it though (3DS, Vita, HD Remaster) for a viable western release.

Type-0 is wonderful and I hope other people get to play it soon.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Here's what I expect. Sometime after E3... maybe in July or so... Nomura might say some words in Famitsu or something. Seems to be an annual thing for him.

salromano

Here's what I expect. Sometime after E3... maybe in July or so... Nomura might say some words in Famitsu or something. Seems to be an annual thing for him.

Square needs to stop being so secretive about Versus. Unless it's undergoing some sort of major overhaul or something, it's unnecessary.

At least release a new screenshot every month, just to show us the game is still alive. Or force Nomura to open a Twitter account so we can read updates about how he is *hypothetical* "Working on a cool new feature for Versus today!"

DJIzana

If it's not at least at TGS then I'm done... never buying anything Sony at launch every again, that's for sure.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Square needs to stop being so secretive about Versus. Unless it's undergoing some sort of major overhaul or something, it's unnecessary.
Yeah, this is what I think they should do -- release some new information every month to keep fans interested and excited. I don't think being silent is the right way to go about it. Nomura even said that he had some interesting info but he couldn't share it with people in some interview. I can't find that GAF thread, but it's really annoying.

Verelios

Whatever their plans are with that "universe": Versus has an own distinctive look and style and deserves to have its own universe like almost every other mainline FF.

I thought it would be a good idea at the time (2006?), because I imagined it as an FF Crystal Chronicles kind of thing. However, this is really not what I had in mind, and although I like the lore well enough, I really want to bury XIII.

So I'm left wondering what the hell SE's deal is.

I don't know what's been funnier, watching the development of this game or Last Guardian? Heck, I think the occasional person hinting at "AGENT" is the funniest now that I think about it...

He should follow Kamiya example:"Next week on game magazine".

Every week until the games finally releases gets cancelled.

sublimit

Banned

And then go silent until next year again?I'm afraid no one will care by then with all the next gen games coming out.

Macstorm

I secretly hope they follow up Jaffey's lie last year by having Nomura walk out on stage in an Armani suit as somnus plays.

It would only really be a lie if Square Enix had actually said "We're not showing FF Versus XIII at E3." Not that I expect them to show the game, but this whole story being based off the game not being on an email is just as silly.

cabottemp

Banned
I for one am shocked. Shocked I tells ya.

PS3 fans? It is still exclusive, isn't it? (LOL just had a flashback to the console wars and when this was a game-changer flagship title)

This was *NEVER* a game-changer OR flagship title.

DJIzana

If I was an investor at Square Enix, I'd be freaking furious... spending $$ with having literally very little to show for it. They have literally NOTHING to show for it in regards to Versus...

MrDenny

Are Prompto and Gladiolus really the name of those two guys or are they just temporary.
Both names are terrible.

Haunted

Are Prompto and Gladiolus really the name of those two guys or are they just temporary.
Both names are terrible.
Welcome to jRPG naming conventions.

Someone left a Japanese -> Latin dictionary lying around Nomura's office for these ones, apparently.

Arxisz

He'll probably give a date for a new gameplay trailer shown during a press con at the start of next year. Déjà vu.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Both names are terrible.
Prompto, I assume, comes from promptus (I shall also assume that it's the adjectival form, and thus it'll be the masc/neut abl (from/away from)/dat (to the ___) form), meaning 'quick'/'prompt', 'willing', 'eager', etc. That's the only way I see that name making sense a little. At first I thought it came from promo, but that wouldn't make much sense.

I don't think Gladiolus is that bad. It means 'little sword'. Gladiolus is also the name of a flower (the sword lily). It is also the centre portion of the sternum.

Both names are terrible.

What were you expecting when the main character is called Noctis? The fourth guy is Ignis.

This game looks like the most angsty FF game since VIII. Not sure if it will surpass VIII, though. That game was pure teen angst.

I swear everything SE does continues to push themselves deeper into irrelevancy.

People would be happy (well, a little lol) if they just showed a trailer with 5 seconds new footage and even that is too much to ask.

This is so ridiculous. I mean, XIII and XIII-2 are out the door. Same with the 3rd Bday. That leaves Type-0, KH3D, and FFX HD port/remake. (I'm looking forward to all of those,
but none of them are big enough to overshadow a game as high profile as Versus XIII or carry their E3 showcase on their own!)

I realize there are probably other unannounced games but, come on, how many times are they gonna push Versus to the backburner to showcase some other new project? At some point it has to be Versus's time and I think that's WAY overdue!

Didn't he say the real time: CG ratio for cut-scenes in this game was something like 7:3? He's planning for nearly half of the games cutscenes to be CG movies.....

DJIzana

That's why I said before "Please insert blu-ray disk 2." :p

If they're claiming that number & a huge open world I doubt they can fill it all on a single disk.

Arxisz

Didn't he say the real time: CG ratio for cut-scenes in this game was something like 7:3? He's planning for nearly half of the games cutscenes to be CG movies.....

Yeah he did. I'd say they're turning some gameplay sections that were complex or not properly implemented into pre rendered sequences to finish the game faster.
but 7:3 is still not that bad considering FF games have always been heavy on cgi sequences, although maybe a bit more then usual this time around.

That's why I said before "Please insert blu-ray disk 2." :p

If they're claiming that number & a huge open world I doubt they can fill it all on a single disk.

I actually kinda like it when games span multiple discs. I realize that it doesn't necessarily mean it, but it always makes me feel like the game is grander or something with a massive scope and ambition.

Of course this is all a moot point since for the first time, I'm actually starting to doubt the game's existence.

Utako

Banned
Guys, I read that the main character isn't an upbeat soldier of fortune.

This is incompatible with my search for vain, power fantasy garbage. Let's shit on the game and petition to have him replaced with Nathan Drake.

raven777

I have no problem with real time: CG ratio to be 7:3

One of the things I didn't like about XIII-2 is lack of CG cutscenes

Takuan

I haven't truly enjoyed an FF title in a very long time, and yet I'm still disappointed by this news.

On the bright side, perhaps there will be news of a Vita-enhanced Type-0 game? I'd probably take the PSP version as it is, but it would be a shame for them not to at least upgrade the textures and frame rate. Nicer character models would be a bonus, too.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Not saying BBS was a good idea (it wasn't), but the KH fan base has always been more or less the FF crowd. Those guys didn't migrate over to the Wii. I don't consider KH a family oriented game either. It's a single player JRPG. Family games are like wii sports, mario kart, and other party type games.
This is the case more inside Japan that outside. In the west KH's core audience is kids and Disney fans, and it's bigger than FF.

Epic Mickey likely has more crossover with the KH games audience wise than FFXIII did.
What lunchwithyuzo said. KH is...sorry, WAS bigger than any other RPG in the west because the Disney branding ensured it was big with kids and sold it to a lot of parents. They had this demographic locked up in addition to the FF crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom