• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Granblue Fantasy Versus: Rising Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
c17718ec679dc63376c3b095381e5f225c1ffc03488b9f8e.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: Granblue Fantasy Versus: Rising
Platforms:
  • PlayStation 5 (Dec 14, 2023)
  • PlayStation 4 (Dec 14, 2023)
  • PC (Dec 14, 2023)
Trailer:

Developers: Cygames, Arc System Works
Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 87 average - 100% recommended - 5 reviews

sy9X7MO.png

Critic Reviews​

COGconnected - Jaz Sagoo - 83 / 100
Quote not yet available

Final Weapon - Andrew Brown - 4 / 5
Granblue Fantasy Versus: Rising is an awesome game! It has everything GBVS and fighting game players have been asking for. It has a great story, a huge amount of fun online/offline content, a fantastic online experience with rollback netcode, and excellent presentation. While the RPG mode lacks the gameplay depth the original GBVS used to have, and the replay system does not make innovations, this is a great step in the right direction. If you are looking for a terrific fighting game experience, Granblue Fantasy Versus: Rising is the one for you!

GamingTrend - David Flynn - 90 / 100
Granblue Fantasy Versus: Rising is a small step forward from the original, but all those tiny tweaks make it feel that much better. Online matches feel seamless, the new and changed characters have a lot of variety, and the story is a fun if incomprehensible ride. However, it takes a bit too much of the first game out including offline unlockables or even getting kicked back to the main menu in single player if you lose your connection. Still, its strengths outweigh its weaknesses by a wide margin and is an absolute blast to play.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 90 / 100
Quote not yet available

Spaziogames - Italian - 8.6 / 10
An amazing fighting game for veterans and newcomers alike.

Winter 2023/2024 looks like a great time to be a fighting game fan with this, UNIB2 and Tekken 8.

I'll be picking this up soon. The gameplay looks a lot more interesting than the first one with the bravery point system. Roster looks great. Visuals look so clean too.

Last edited:

nikos

I've been playing the Free Version and the game feels fantastic.

When it comes to fighting games, Street Fighter has always been my number one but this feels so much better to play than Street Fighter 6, at least on a first impression.

I'm going into this game without any prior knowledge or watching any guides, other than some of the in-game tutorials.

Most of the combos I try are actually working, and that feels great. The game just makes sense. The systems don't feel complicated yet either. Game seems straightforward, accessible, and bullshit free (for now) but I'm sure it gets much deeper at higher levels.

I'm having fun without knowing anything and without stressing about learning a ton of systems and mechanics, and that's a big deal for me when it comes to fighting games.

Also, and this is huge for me, THERE'S NO DP INPUT SHORTCUT. No accidental bullshit happening because there are six ways of inputting a DP (especially on leverless) and a 10 minute input window. The game feels TIGHT.

There are also a few different modes in the game to keep things interesting.

I have a feeling I'm going to end up buying this.

There's not enough new here. Feels like a slap in the face to people who paid full price. For goodness sake the stages and character models are identical. They didn't even add new stages or improve the graphics as far as I can tell.

Top Bottom