• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

egm review scores - september 2007 (lair, blue dragon, mario strikers: charged, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
beelzebozo said:
here you go. also added to op.

crispin says the combat system is confusing, and the sixaxis controls don't always work the way they should. lock-on system is also jacked.

greg ford says the camera is frustrating in ground combat. the wide open levels hold a lot of potential but ultimately don't deliver

garnett says it's a "frustrating disappointment" with a few bright spots

what they say are things I had problems with from the videos that I hoped were gonna be fixed for the final version

I still might pick it up, I hope a demo comes before its out.

mollipen

Wow... that's two Game of the Month awards for Persona 3 so far that I know of (us and EGM). The game totally deserves it.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
beelzebozo said:
wait guys, i misread. it's four new rpgs from level-5. my apologies
That's still a lot with White Knight Story, Dragon Quest IX, and the (minor but still existing) Layton projects on the table. They either must've gone through a huge expansion or this isn't true.

Woo-Fu

Banned
SailorDaravon said:
To be fair (and I love Etrian), Etrian is for a very specific audience; I have I would say about 8-10 fairly "hardcore" game friends I know personally, and I would only recommend it to 1 of them.

I agree with what you're saying, but I don't agree that that should be a factor in rating the game.

The game should be rated based upon what it is trying to do, not on what a mainstream audience is going to try to do with it. If it is an air traffic simulator I am reviewing, I should review it from the viewpoint of somebody who wants an air traffic simulation. If you don't have a guy like that on staff or available freelance then don't review the title.

...otherwise, niche games will be doomed to bad ratings, which in turn will make sure they remain niche.

Oh and on the 5(4) new RPGs from Level 5, I'm kind of concerned that they'll be spreading their creative spark a bit thin.

Darji

Banned
shidoshi said:
Wow... that's two Game of the Month awards for Persona 3 so far that I know of (us and EGM). The game totally deserves it.
yeah PErsona will be awesome. But just to be sure i cant play P3 US on my japanese PS3 or?^^

jj984jj said:
That's still a lot with White Knight Story, Dragon Quest IX, and the (minor but still existing) Layton projects on the table. They either must've gone through a huge expansion or this isn't true.

It's an EGM rumor; there's a pretty good chance that it isn't true.

It sounds like Level 5 are announcing more RPGs for the DS if its 5 titles. Most of thier staff is already working on White Knight Story, I don't know if they have enough manpower to do 5 more HD titles.

traveler

Not Wario
Woo-Fu said:
I agree with what you're saying, but I don't agree that that should be a factor in rating the game.

The game should be rated based upon what it is trying to do, not on what a mainstream audience is going to try to do with it. If it is an air traffic simulator I am reviewing, I should review it from the viewpoint of somebody who wants an air traffic simulation. If you don't have a guy like that on staff or available freelance then don't review the title.

...otherwise, niche games will be doomed to bad ratings, which in turn will make sure they remain niche.

You guys do realize one reviewer at EGM gave EO a 8.0? Clearly somebody liked it. That's what the multiple reviews are for- so you can gauge multiple perspectives. If they reviewed each game with only the perspective of those who it is most specifically targeted for, how useful would that be? What if I'm an RPG player who thinks he might like EO, but doesn't have a clue as to what he is getting into?

Nif

Did Shane review P3? The high numbers aren't surprising, if so. I doubt it'll be well received in the US, in any case. Still looking forward to Blue Dragon, too. :)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Speevy said:
Review summary for BD?

it has neither strong characters nor gripping storytelling, the battle system is "stellar" but unaccompanied by any sort of interesting plot to hang your hat on. bryan is a bit easier on the story than andrew fitch (who had the lead review), and ray called it "safe."

Raistlin

EGM panned LAIR after Sony made that statement regarding EGM's reviews of its in-house sports titles (and refusal to send them to EGM anymore).

Payback's a bitch.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Onix said:
EGM panned LAIR after Sony made that statement regarding EGM's reviews of its in-house sports titles (and refusal to send them to EGM anymore).

Payback's a bitch.

and also childish

beelzebozo said:
it has neither strong characters nor gripping storytelling, the battle system is "stellar" but unaccompanied by any sort of interesting plot to hang your hat on. bryan is a bit easier on the story than andrew fitch (who had the lead review), and ray called it "safe."
Should be encouraging then... obviously not everyone will like the story.

Speevy

Banned
Onix said:

Payback's a bitch.

And when Heavenly Sword gets 9.5s across the board?

GhaleonEB

Onix said:

Payback's a bitch.
My sarcasm detector is off being repaired with my 360.

Sarcasm?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Nif said:
Did Shane review P3? The high numbers aren't surprising, if so. I doubt it'll be well received in the US, in any case. Still looking forward to Blue Dragon, too. :)

shane did review persona 3. he's the 8.5.

MCD

beelzebozo said:

Regarding this, one question is all i ask:

How was their review for Dragon Quest 8? anyone remember?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
GreekWolf said:
4_A-232.jpg

Raistlin

Speevy said:
And when Heavenly Sword gets 9.5s across the board?

1) It was a joke

2) I'd be pretty shocked if Heavenly Sword gets 9.5's across the board. As a matter of fact, I really hope Ninja Theory sends a tutorial on how to play with the review copies. Otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets panned similar to the infamous F1 "we didn't realize you could turn of assists" review.

GhaleonEB said:
My sarcasm detector is off being repaired with my 360.

Sarcasm?

While nothing would surprise in this industry, yeah ... sarcasm

m0dus said:
Wow, with Lair getting such average scores, I have to rethink getting a Playsta-

---ooh, OOH, wait, WAIT

WHAT DO YOU KNOW. LOOKS LIKE I ALREADY BOUGHT ONE. :)

Guess that means I'll have to buy the game and . . . form my own opinion.

WELCOME TO THE NEW FRONTIER.
Wait... you can do that?

Why do people still put any weight into EGM scores? They've been garbage for years. This isn't me being biased, either, as the games I was interested in scored relatively highly. They generally skew greatly from most other review sources and give very poor reasoning in their reviews.

ethelred

neojubei said:
I think sony needs more RPGs especially in Japan, so this is good. Maybe they are working overtime like Mistwalker.

No guarantee the new RPGs are for Sony. L5's already got one DS game released and they've got three more in development.

Y2Kev said:
Why do people give a crap about what EGM gives RPGs?

They 4.5'd BKO...and Harry Potter/Tiamat references for the Dragona headsplode.

Though this means Persona 3 is probably mindblowing.

The reviews of Odin Sphere kind of demonstrated to me that maybe EGM's type of RPG is not mine.

I don't know why some people do; I know I certainly don't. My interest in Blue Dragon hasn't at all been diminished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom