• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

egm review scores - september 2007 (lair, blue dragon, mario strikers: charged, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xavien

GhaleonEB said:
Play gave it a nine, IIRC. Which everyone joked was a 7 or so on other reviewers scales. :lol

How about those rumors?

Well in comparison, Play gave Sonic 360 a 9 also.

So their reviews don't really hold any meaning whatsoever

Dies Iræ

I always knew Lair's gameplay would be the pits, based on videos and impressions. That said, I expected reviewers to score it higher just based on graphics alone. IGN probably will score it in the high 8s.

Odysseus said:
actually, it's the stupidest rumor ever on two levels

1) there are pictures of the innards of the elite that show a distinct difference versus the regular 360 (so really, where's the daggum "rumor" here?) but
2) it doesn't really matter because elites were still breaking as early as day one

Hence why it's a corporate viral rumor. Duh.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
jj984jj said:
You got any EGM rumors?

I'm over the scores now, so what are the EGM rumors?

edit

i think these already leaked but. . .

- level 5 is going to announce 5 new rpgs at tokyo game show
- squeenix to start remaking dragon quest games starting with dq4 on ds
- microsoft is funnelling all the best 360 parts to the elite model, which is why lower models crap out more
- next def jam game will be better than icon. ea knows it sucked
- io interactive (kane and lynch) making a kids' game
- next james bond game will use call of duty 4 engine

I think sony needs more RPGs especially in Japan, so this is good. Maybe they are working overtime like Mistwalker.

Dragon quest 4 on the DS does not shock me.

microsoft better not, unless they want to replace all units with Elites.

And those are the rumors i care about....

ezekial45

Banned
Bebpo said:
It is AAA.

Blue Dragon has screen-tearing, slowdown in battle, which are annoying but don't effect anything gameplay-wise and the first disc is a VERY slow ramp up (the game really doesn't take off until the final dungeon of disc1). Otherwise it's AAA through and through.

The story is good, the characters are really likeable, and the world is as good as any FF/DQ title. Great dungeons, tons of sidestuff, good battle system, etc...it's the real deal for rpg fans.
Still good to hear. I really enjoyed the demo and i can't wait for the game to be released.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Wario64 said:
Do they say what the big story is for next month's issue?

silent hill 5 and silent hill origins.

UncleGuito said:
What'd they say about Bioshock in the wrapup?

that it doesn't throw you to the dogs to learn, but brilliantly walks you through each new power step by step. in short, they say it's totally donnie trumps.

traveler

Not Wario
beelzebozo said:

that it doesn't throw you to the dogs to learn, but brilliantly walks you through each new power step by step. in short, they say it's totally donnie trumps.

:D

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
m0dus said:
Wow, with Lair getting such average scores, I have to rethink getting a Playsta-

---ooh, OOH, wait, WAIT

WHAT DO YOU KNOW. LOOKS LIKE I ALREADY BOUGHT ONE. :)

Guess that means I'll have to buy the game and . . . form my own opinion.

WELCOME TO THE NEW FRONTIER.

I will, however, sit back and watch as EGM achieves what no amount of goodwill ever did--unite leagues of system fanboys against a common foe . . .
:0

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
beelzebozo said:

Sweet, Silent Hill news finally. Thanks for the info.

YOu should probably put the rumors and other important info in the OP so people don't ask the same questions

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
beelzebozo said:
heavenly sword
battalion wars 2
eternal sonata
castlevania dracula x chronicles

and i'm presuming bioshock since it's in the wrap-up section, along with madden 2008, brave story, and boogie
Metroid??

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why do people give a crap about what EGM gives RPGs?

They 4.5'd BKO...and Harry Potter/Tiamat references for the Dragona headsplode.

Though this means Persona 3 is probably mindblowing.

The reviews of Odin Sphere kind of demonstrated to me that maybe EGM's type of RPG is not mine.

GhaleonEB

Speevy said:
Actually, they have the same defect, not the same failure rate. I don't think a significant portion of this forum owns an Elite.
We have nothing but anecdotal to go on, but I have seen a lot of people posting here and elsewhere about Elites going down. Though I shouldn't have said "same failure rate" since that's unknown. The rumor really doesn't make sense.

Xeke

Banned
SailorDaravon said:
Remember on the EGM scale, 6.5 is "average." BD being rated average/slightly above average doesn't surprise me at all, but Lair is a surprise :lol . This is why publishers hate EGM.

It's the better scale.

5 should be average. Most games should be 5 and it shouldn't be terrible. Lair will probably be average. 7 should be above average and 10 should be near flawless.

Thats why like the 5 point scale better. It just gets to the point.

m0dus said:

That's not smart when games are 60 dollars. If reviews are bad, then rent it first. You should never buy a game unless you're sure you'll like it.

Odysseus

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Hence why it's a corporate viral rumor. Duh.

come to think of it, the people at 1up yours actually thought the idea of the elite in general was good. the one guy that ranted against it (an epic rant, i might add) ironically got hired on at bungie. go figure.

Lobster said:
Because I really can't find anything wrong with the game. Play it and maybe you'll agree with me. The games graphics are greater then the majority of Wii titles, the Waggle isn't overdone, theres a ton of stuff to do in single player and then you get online..

That's good to hear. I will tell you if I agree with you in a couple of days :D

lord pie

sees thread with 1 page
*reads page 1*
refresh
*reads page 2*
refresh
*reads page 3*
refresh
*reads page 4*

:lol this forum is crazy. This post will probably end up on page 5 somewhere :D

the chris

Who cares what most reviewers think anyways? As long as you enjoy the game that's all that really matters(unless the game is supposed to be part of a series a games but bad reviews steer people away from the game and no sequels get made.) Not really sure what point I'm trying to make, I just wanted to be part of the discussion.

Threi

notag
m0dus said:
Wow, with Lair getting such average scores, I have to rethink getting a Playsta-

---ooh, OOH, wait, WAIT

I will, however, sit back and watch as EGM achieves what no amount of goodwill ever did--unite leagues of system fanboys against a common foe . . .

lawd jesus.

traveler

Not Wario
the chris said:
Who cares what most reviewers think anyways? As long as you enjoy the game that's all that really matters(unless the game is supposed to be part of a series a games but bad reviews steer people away from the game and no sequels get made.) Not really sure what point I'm trying to make, I just wanted to be part of the discussion.

Yes, because I can spend money on every game that looks mildly interesting to me.

fernoca

Love the meltdowns because of Blue Dragon and Lair...just because of ONE review.
Keep 'em coming guys! :lol :lol :lol

Decado

Lair will probably fall somewhere between Play and EGM's reviews. Like most people said, gameplay never seemed terribly promising.

Blue Dragon never looked any good to me, so I can't say I care.

Thermite

beelzebozo said:
- squeenix to start remaking dragon quest games starting with dq4 on ds

I have never played a single Dragon Quest game before, so I'm looking forward to these releases if it does indeed happen.

edit: jesus christ, this thread is moving fast.

mood

This is what I thought Lair would get the first time I saw gameplay for it. Not surprised by Blue Dragon either, the demo is really not good.

GhaleonEB

fernoca said:
Love the meltdowns because of Blue Dragon and Lair...just because of ONE review.
Keep 'em coming guys! :lol :lol :lol
Three reviews. It's not too uncommon to have a wide spread between the low and high scores for some games (the Brain Age 2 review in this issue is a good example), but there seems to be consensus among the three who reviewed those games. So they carry a little more weight than say, the Play review. (Which is not to say Play reviews carry any weight to begin with.)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Y2Kev said:
Why do people give a crap about what EGM gives RPGs?

They 4.5'd BKO...and Harry Potter/Tiamat references for the Dragona headsplode.

Though this means Persona 3 is probably mindblowing.

The reviews of Odin Sphere kind of demonstrated to me that maybe EGM's type of RPG is not mine.
They also gave Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition a 9.0 and Etrian Odyssey a 4.0. I could go on but what's the point? EGM reviews suck, and their scale is worse.

fernoca

epmode said:
Three reviews.
Well, every one is "EGM 'gave' this score"....

Anyway, still funny.. :lol
Everyone here know I love Mortal Kombat, yet..EGM was the only place that gave 1 or 2 points lowers scores to the recent 4 MK games, yet everyone was like "I agree, MK sucks..well deserved"....
I didn't cared I was going to buy the game anyway (and so did the few other millions gamers).....

Now everyone it's like "EGM sucks, I hate them"... :lol :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom