• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

egm review scores - september 2007 (lair, blue dragon, mario strikers: charged, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpgfan16k

SantaC said:
well I dont trust EGM's JRPG taste, that's for sure. Especially how they reviewed Baten Kaitos 2.

Phew, I forgot about that one. Agreed that it was panned unessecarily,and I loved the game...only problem: BKO was severly underrated by the media everywhere :-(

I hope these BD scores aren't indicative of the other outlets of the gaming media...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
SailorDaravon said:
Remember on the EGM scale, 6.5 is "average." BD being rated average/slightly above average doesn't surprise me at all, but Lair is a surprise :lol . This is why publishers hate EGM.

No, 5 is average. 6.5 is what we take to be average because skip doesn't come into these threads and remind people enough to kindly stop whining about 6s and 7s.

6.5 has been "reclaimed" for GOOD for a while now.

Tideas said:
SO what happens when IGN gives it a 8, and Gamespot gives it an 8.8?

A lot of people will suddenly hail EGM as a damned good magazine with damned good reviews, and others will claim that it proves that EGM sucks. The truth is of course that EGM sucks, but then so does IGN, and probably Lair.

UncleGuito said:
That's because if you go into a thread with a minority viewpoint, people will automatically call you a troll, then get banned.

Playing the martyr again, huh? :lol

Ponn

Banned
I had a sinking feeling Lair was going to end up Glitz and no substance. Rental here we come. I still feel good about Heavenly Sword though.

Was kind of expecting the Blue Dragon scores, maybe a point higher. I liked the demo and like the style but it still had that "just average" feel to it. As a RPG lover its fine for me but probably won't be enough for other type of people.

Damn, an outsourced Wii game outscored a bigbuget game from the FF creator and an big budgey high production eye candy. Talk about insult to injury.

906961814_d2a217e354_o.gif
[/IMG]

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I'm confused. Why are people shocked at the Lair score? This is Factor 5 we're talkin about...

Tideas

Banned
Odysseus said:
nobody trusts ign, and gamespot's 8.8 is the worst score ever. ask zelda fans.

My response was more of a joke/sarcasm. :lol . Let's just wait til the dust settles, then u can say you expect it to be bad.

I'm pretty sure though, in teh end, it'll average out to like a 7 or 7.5

And the 8.8 was a wink at TP (who I thought deserved an 8.5 ;))

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Y2Kev said:
Play a copy of LAIR that you rented and WARHAWK!

no warhawk review, beezel?

all quiet on the warhawk front.

i think these already leaked but. . .

- level 5 is going to announce 5 new rpgs at tokyo game show
- squeenix to start remaking dragon quest games starting with dq4 on ds
- microsoft is funnelling all the best 360 parts to the elite model, which is why lower models crap out more
- next def jam game will be better than icon. ea knows it sucked
- io interactive (kane and lynch) making a kids' game
- next james bond game will use call of duty 4 engine

beelzebozo said:

- microsoft is funnelling all the best 360 parts to the elite model, which is why lower models crap out more
Bad rumors.

traveler

Not Wario
beelzebozo said:

What reviews do they say they will have in the next issue?

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Urk... that sucks. I might still pick up Lair anyway.

Blue Dragon as well though, I was going to pick it up but to me a long game like an RPG needs to be great or I won't get through it.

So hopes for August are now Bioshock, Warhawk, and just for some shooting fun, Stranglehold.

beelzebozo said:

Now if that's not a solid candidate for corporate viral rumor of the year than I don't know what is. "Buy Elites, they are better!"

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
beelzebozo said:

-level 5, 5 RPGS.. WHAT?!

-DQ remakes YESSSS

-IO going kiddie? WTF

Johnas

beelzebozo said:

:O

If they're starting with IV, is it a stretch to imply that V and VI would get a DS treatment next, and make it stateside?

Threi

notag
so what i gathered from this thread is that the abnormally low score of lair was expected in this one review that usually rates games lower than other magazines, but anyone who says this or the opposite of this is a "troll"?

GhaleonEB

beelzebozo said:
Which is especially funny, since the Elites seem to have the same failure rate. Oh boy what a can of worms this is going to be. :lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
traveler said:
What reviews do they say they will have in the next issue?

heavenly sword
battalion wars 2
eternal sonata
castlevania dracula x chronicles

and i'm presuming bioshock since it's in the wrap-up section, along with madden 2008, brave story, and boogie

beelzebozo said:
heavenly sword
battalion wars 2
eternal sonata

and i'm presuming bioshock since it's in the wrap-up section, along with madden 2008, brave story, and boogie
What'd they say about Bioshock in the wrapup?

LJ11

beelzebozo said:

Worst rumors ever. Extra glue is now a better part, news to me.

Edit: Thanks beelzebozo

Tideas

Banned
Darji said:
no play gave Lair a 9

oh and dont forget. God of War 2 got a 7 from EGM. Lets just wait for more reviews.

WTF! It did? Okay wow, lol, no more trusting EGM for me then. I thought they gave it 9s or something.

traveler

Not Wario
beelzebozo said:
heavenly sword
battalion wars 2
eternal sonata

Thanks! In the wrap up section, do they give any early impressions on BioShock?

Edit: Next issue is Silent Hill 5, correct? Trailer said so.

Strike

I'll wait to see what GI, Ign, and Gamespot have to say about Lair b4 jumping to conclusions (like some of you here already have).

Odysseus

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Now if that's not a solid candidate for corporate viral rumor of the year than I don't know what is. "Buy Elites, they are better!"

actually, it's the stupidest rumor ever on two levels

1) there are pictures of the innards of the elite that show a distinct difference versus the regular 360 (so really, where's the daggum "rumor" here?) but
2) it doesn't really matter because elites were still breaking as early as day one

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Lair: 6.0, 5.5, 5.0 WHAT!
all pro football: 6.5, 6.5, 7.0 Figured it would get this.
ncaa football 2008: 8.5, 9.0, 8.5 YAY, Which version though?
blue dragon: 6.5, 7.5, 6.5 WTF

Speevy

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Which is especially funny, since the Elites seem to have the same failure rate. Oh boy what a can of worms this is going to be. :lol

Actually, they have the same defect, not the same failure rate. I don't think a significant portion of this forum owns an Elite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom