• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#EGX London 2014 || The Event Formerly known as Eurogamer Expo

Muppety

Alien isolation is quite amazing. Just preordered as well. Immersion and graphics is just brilliant.

Just came off from trying this on the Rift. So glad I got to do it, it really does just amplify the experience massively. Shame that CA have no plans to bring Rift support to the full game!

Alien isolation is quite amazing. Just preordered as well. Immersion and graphics is just brilliant.

AC: Rogue, definitely pass material. Same old.

Enjoyed Driveclub more than Project Cars, but it was a small tease nothing concrete.
Far Cry 4 is ok. Enjoyable.

Really looking forward to this.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone going to the after party tonight? I know there's like 150 unlocked arcade machines, but I'm hoping there's one or two new demos to play as well.

R_Deckard

AC: Rogue, definitely pass material. Same old.

Enjoyed Driveclub more than Project Cars, but it was a small tease nothing concrete.
Far Cry 4 is ok. Enjoyable.

Yeah agree, I really loved the playthrough of it on the X1. The DoF and lighting is superb.

10/10 for tension and atmosphere the alien is a right b*tch, the pre-order bonus 2 missions are just the icing on my pre-order cake.

Looks and plays superb

Marc

Welp, decided to head out early. The queues were just soul destroying.

Had an 11am ticket but got there at 11 as had to wait for babysitter. Was quicker than the line suggested but still I wasn't able to get in right away. Went straight to the Rift booth without bothering to look at it properly assuming I would save time. Waited 30-40 minutes until realizing the queue went all the way around. Would take 2 hours I reckon. So gave up and figured the day was a wash. A lot of people were giving up. Seems to me it would be much better to use a ticket system with a rough idea of time and if you don't turn up in time can go to those who wish to queue. Taking 2 hours out of your day doing nothing is pretty harsh to do to gamers.

Got lucky in finding the nvidia booth as I couldn't see it on the map. Going blind. So waited for about 25mins to try. It was my first time and a very strange experience, hard to put into words. They were just sticking it on your head so no idea if the configuration was optimal for me. At times it felt like being in space and truly awe inspiring. At others I noticed aliasing and polygon edges and felt a bit jarring. Other times I was getting the screen door affect when moving my eyes to the edges or looking up as I was getting light bleed. Don't think it was adjusted to my head properly. My wife isn't much of a gamer, definitely not space sims so ended up getting dizzy from going around in circles. The best bit was before launching, launching at amazing speeds and getting close to the station/asteroids. The shooting was kinda meh.

Had a look around the place a bit to get an idea of where everything was. By then wanted food so got some fish and chips, so that was basically 2pm doing one thing.

Played project cars on ps4, must be set to easy as I suck at racing games yet got to the front quickly and no one got near me. So a bit boring as a race but looked cool enough. Didn't seem too SIM like as I said, I suck, and got around fine. One bit I am on a straight and the car pulls left massively. Only time it did it, very odd... maybe controller had it.

Played Lords of the Fallen and enjoyed it, although I didn't realize you could invert the camera until after. Which I was struggling with, kept getting blindsided as a result. Thought it was options but the guy said you use the pad, thought it would be the other way around so bit odd. Got some runes drawn on me and a t-shirt, nice people too. Good part of the day.

The rest of what I wanted to do had too long a queue so gave up.

But anyway the main thing I wanted to do, I did so can't complain too much but wouldn't go again. Can't imagine how busier the place would be with some heavy hitter games coming out like next year. Fuck that.

iFirez

Played Halo Master Chief Collection, Assassins Creed Unity and Witcher 3 today. All badass games.

Played a multiplayer game on the anniversary remake of Lockout on Halo, came second, was awesome.

Parkoured around in Paris and killed some folk in AC: Unity, really awesome new animation system.

Witcher 3 is just mind blowing, the scope of this game is mental.

Now onto a more sour note, I manged to play all three of those games by about half 12. After that all the queues were crazy, the whole convention just got crammed. Still had a good time but I feel like it was far busier than even last year.

sasliquid

So I played:
Dragon age: inquisition - really long, detailed multiplayer demo. To bad it took 2+ hours of a queue to play.

Bloodborne - unsurprisingly felt like a more badass dark souls. More enemies and gun took getting used to. Awesome atmosphere and feel but I'd need to more to get used to the swings and dodges

Far cry 4 - felt like far cry 3. Ehh

The Order: 1886 - actually more gameplay than I expected. I wouldn't mind it if they delayed it out of February to give the guns a bit more oomph.

Also bought a bloodborne shirt and wolfenstein for £20 new on ps4 which came with a free shirt

Better than last year

Nibel

Almost half of the worldmap, and the red point shows the village shown in the GC trailer

ByjkzHaIgAAFtcf.png:large

Played Halo Master Chief Collection, Assassins Creed Unity and Witcher 3 today. All badass games.

Played a multiplayer game on the anniversary remake of Lockout on Halo, came second, was awesome.

Parkoured around in Paris and killed some folk in AC: Unity, really awesome new animation system.

Now onto a more sour note, I manged to play all three of those games by about half 12. After that all the queues were crazy, the whole convention just got crammed. Still had a good time but I feel like it was far busier than even last year.
You actually played Witcher 3?

Someone stole our Vita dev unit at EGX. Hope he enjoys playing Flame Over as they don't play retail games and the activation runs out next week....

The Mario Kart 8 UK Championship tournament was on today and was a great spectacle. You had to qualify in one of the 4 heats held online over 2 months prior to the show. I entered all the heats to try and get through but the top players are seriously too good.

I felt kind of bad but I had to laugh at this particular kid's reaction during the tournament. He basically had a mental break down and quit with more than half the races to go. When he went up on stage at the conclusion of the tournament he had his arms crossed with the grumpiest look on his face lol. Check it out below:

Eo5Ubef.jpg

CJvu53O.jpg

PbAbetX.jpg

wliT4Lp.jpg

xjS5tOH.jpg

7VbDFfy.jpg

YYk0nma.jpg

tzb5VLQ.jpg

goonergaz

I don't think so, unless you were the guy on stage?!

Carl

Someone stole our Vita dev unit at EGX. Hope he enjoys playing Flame Over as they don't play retail games and the activation runs out next week....

Sorry to hear that man. The game was really fun though. I must have spoke to you without realising it was you.

I enjoyed it. I think that Arkham Knight was my favourite game. The screenshots and internet videos i had seen didn't really do the game justice; in the flesh, on a huge 7-inch screen, it looked amazing.

I liked the Destiny hover-bike exhibit the most though.

Koriandrr

damn damien is crazy

Wait....
Is that the same presentation that was live today around 4pm?

Because if that's the case it wasn't Damien talking, it was a rather lovely lady.... who had a male voice. So.. I'm not sure what gender he/she is, but she was pretty. I mean that in the most respectful way, of course.

MouldyK

So, as the show is ending tomorrow and next year Earl's Court won't be available, so a question for all you attendees: Would you go next year if it is outside London, as it has been hinted that it won't be in London?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So, as the show is ending tomorrow and next year Earl's Court won't be available, so a question for all you attendees: Would you go next year if it is outside London, as it has been hinted that it won't be in London?

For me, no. Earl's Court is an hour away for me. If it was something like the Birmingham NEC that would be a pain (would obviously be easier for some though)

Although the NEC would probably be better than bloody ExCel

Koriandrr

So, as the show is ending tomorrow and next year Earl's Court won't be available, so a question for all you attendees: Would you go next year if it is outside London, as it has been that it won't be in London?

I won't.

I thought it was confirmed that it'll be in the Tobacco Dock, still in London.

MouldyK

I won't.

I thought it was confirmed that it'll be in the Tobacco Dock, still in London.

Nah, that is EGX Rezzed, the Indie Convention.

I also live an hour away and have a Super Pass for all 4 days. I would be tempted if it was not super far away, but it sounds like it might be Birmingham.

King_Moc

Banned

Hopefully they put it in Birmingham. More people will be able to get there and London folks will finally have to travel somewhere.

MouldyK

They can still only sell the capacities worth of tickets.

Yes, but not sure if that means more screens for some games though. Like Nintendo seemed happy with just having 1 game of Splatoon going. Don't think they'd get another 8 screen even if they had room.

Calmine

Doubt you played Unity or Witcher 3. I was there yesterday and both those games were part the theatre seeing gameplay demonstration.

There are some games I didn't get to try out, but didn't seem like I missed much (The Order; The Evil Within and Shadow of Mordor are nearly out). Just didn't have enough time for Elite or Hotline Miami 2. My favourite part of these is getting to chat with developers for a longer time than you expect and basically interview them about how it all came about. It's nice to know there are so many more influences now from other pieces of media than the usual sci fi and fantasy wells.

Sunset Overdrive - After a 1:30 hour wait, this was a disappointment. Watching it, I was set that this was going to be a great game for Xbox One. Stunning particle fx and colour vibrancy makes it stand out, along with the interesting weapons. Nice library fit with Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare. Once I actually played it, the dealbreaker was the movement speed. Before we started, the hosts even answered one of the most frequent questions they've had which is why there's a lack of sprint. The explanation is they want players to grind more than walk on the ground. They also said don't aim because that's boring. I followed their suggestions and even on grinding, it's still slow as molasses. You don't speed up as you get better or grind more. The platforming isn't as fluid as other games, there's not much of a flow. It doesn't help when there is a comparison analogue like Infamous. I seriously don't get the design decision of why you're so slow with a game trying to focus on platforming. Also, it confirmed my fears of having boring zombie enemy AI even in a horde mode.

Bloodborne - Not as hard as expected. Even for someone who's spent about 5 hours collectively across the Souls games, the controls were easy to get adjusted to. I played as the plague doctor build with the two blades that can become a dual blade. The gun is I think a blunderbuss, so it's only effective in very short ranges, at which point you might as well L2+R2. The enemies' attacks are very well telegraphed, so I didn't have much issues with backstepping and retaliating. Throwing pebbles to single out enemies from mobs is great. Healing with blood vials is much faster than Dark Souls 2. I hope the 24fps is made more stable to a steady 30fps by Feb. I died at the RE 4-like burning bodies at the stake area where 5-6 enemies ganked me with long-range pitchforks.

Virginia-Screenshot.png

Virginia by @VariableState - Played 15 min of this. Very cool full body awareness, rare in indie first person games. OMG. Are you a fan of Thirty Flight of Loving (jump cuts), Twin Peaks (setting), Kentucky Route Zero, and X-Files? You should have this on your radar. It's pretty much a FBI agent slice of life narrative game. I pointed out that the character is female, but the character model in the shadow comes off as a bald dude and they chuckled at that, probably will be improved. Apparently the camera is like a 3rd person game but they put the camera into the head area. The music is great, got that jazzy low-tempo groove. Had a great chat with the devs, Jonathan and Lyndon (Terry wasn't there), they seem like very cool dudes.

iXYHP9S9dj5DY.jpg

A Light In Chorus - Mindblowing particle fx, it's like those art light installations or a starry night coalesced over objects that you can freely pass through. Has an ethereal quality, filling out stuff like Unfinished Swan. If you're a sucker for first person exploration stuff like Proteus but with more puzzle mechanics, have this on your radar. The demo had you exploring a theme park, circus, ferris wheel, and a black wood. You can replace inventory items and so spell out Marvel's Circus or put a hat in the right place. The sound design is brilliant as it's very location-dependent, so like you can hear flies if you stand under a street lamp post or the whooshing of the ferris wheel. The developers were art students really into visual art stuff, so that shows. There will be a narrative but right now it's still a ways off.

i7hoIlLyVuxe0.jpg

The Marvellous Miss Take (trailer) - Carmen Sandiago stealth art theft game with no violence (not even non-lethal takedowns) and lovely art style? Very ghosting-freindly, as a thief game should be ideally. Such a polished and fun game. It's point-and-click to move the character around and entirely based around the mouse. If you hold down LMB, then you'll whistle. If you hold down RMB, you'll throw a sound recorder (that you have to find on the level) to distract harder stuck guards. If you get caught, you drop all the stuff you stole and stick your hands up, but it's so cute that failure just makes me laugh. I got to level 5 Trafalgar Square which is when the difficulty ramped up as cover points and using the sound recorder became priorities. After that, you unlock another playable enigmatic character who's helping you out. I don't know what else to say except that I'll definitely buy the game when it comes out. I mentioned it to Mike Bithell in his Volume Q&A, he admires this game too.

Galak-Z - Now that I've played it, I get the hype. Juke, slide, thrust, boost around and blast asteroids or dragon-ships. The inertia just feels so great. I love the Wolfenstein/Doom-like face in the corner reacting to every shot. My one complaint is after killing an enemy, the loot can be thrown really far away (damn you, space physics!). Oh and the framerate dips to 15fps, like really low levels because of all the stuff exploding. I'd really like an in-game map, cause you can get lost (in space!) and not sure where your next objective will be, so can get repeating the same loop.

Calvino Noir - Looked cool as a noir 2D stealth sidescroller but man does it feel early in the controls. It's a transition from a mobile game, so another stealth game using just the mouse button. Way less refined than Miss Take. You can click on a walk or sprint stance, and you can point your mouse to move the character around. But it feels unnecessary for a 2D game than an isometric game like Miss Take. I don't see what you'd lose from direct control. The issue arises when you point at places and also point at cover points for the character to crouch behind (a bit like the upcoming Not A Hero).

9fb81c513d_never-alone-by-agb-gifs-d7hqb5d.gif

Never Alone (trailer) - You guys, this could be the Brothers of this year. I thought it'd be a breezy narrative adventure but it's quite a challenging cinematic puzzle platformer. Based on Alaskan native culture, you play as either a young girl or an arctic fox (you can switch with Y). While you're playing, there is some narration from an Inupiat elder. There even is local co-op which works even better. Definitely will get this game, and play with my sister. If one of you dies, it's so sad ;_;

There were 2 demo stations and each had different levels. Very clever setup. One level had you braving against the environment, and the other was against green spirit enemies that try to grab you between platforms. The character interplay is great, lowering or making platforms for the partner. Crouching has you brace the wind in one level as it pushes you back and can throw you off a platform, while crouching in the spirit level means you just crouch away from their grubby hands. In the spirit level, there are also good white spirits that form platforms for you. The snow and water effects look incredible. So many cool animations, like when you land after a big jump and stumble or sob to your knees in despair when your partner dies. Had a fantastic chat with the people, even recommended some indie games (Papo and Yo, But That Was Yesterday) to the dude who's on the non-profit E-Line Media side and usually played AAA games before working on this project. I asked and they didn't want to call it an educational game because that has negative connotations but there are 40 hours of video documentary about Alaskan native culture :O

Mr. Tibbs

Virginia-Screenshot.png

Virginia by @VariableState - Played 15 min of this. Very cool full body awareness, rare in indie first person games. OMG. Are you a fan of Thirty Flight of Loving (jump cuts), Twin Peaks (setting), Kentucky Route Zero, and X-Files? You should have this on your radar. It's pretty much a FBI agent slice of life narrative game. I pointed out that the character is female, but the character model in the shadow comes off as a bald dude and they chuckled at that, probably will be improved. Apparently the camera is like a 3rd person game but they put the camera into the head area. The music is great, got that jazzy low-tempo groove. Had a great chat with the devs, Jonathan and Lyndon (Terry wasn't there), they seem like very cool dudes.

That sounds awesome. Are there any gameplay videos online?

Sunset Overdrive - After a 1:30 hour wait, this was a disappointment. Watching it, I was set that this was going to be a great game for Xbox One. Stunning particle fx and colour vibrancy makes it stand out, along with the interesting weapons. Nice library fit with Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare. Once I actually played it, the dealbreaker was the movement speed. Before we started, the hosts even answered one of the most frequent questions they've had which is why there's a lack of sprint. The explanation is they want players to grind more than walk on the ground. They also said don't aim because that's boring. I followed their suggestions and even on grinding, it's still slow as molasses. You don't speed up as you get better or grind more. The platforming isn't as fluid as other games, there's not much of a flow. It doesn't help when there is a comparison analogue like Infamous. I seriously don't get the design decision of why you're so slow with a game trying to focus on platforming. Also, it confirmed my fears of having boring zombie enemy AI even in a

Thanks for the impressions! It's disappointing that you feel that way about Sunset, I was hoping that the game would turn out great. Is the movement speed as slow as DR3?

MouldyK

Thanks for the impressions! It's disappointing that you feel that way about Sunset, I was hoping that the game would turn out great. Is the movement speed as slow as DR3?

Got a MVP card for putting away my seat after I tried D4 as few others put away their seat, so I can go into the MVP place tomorrow and going to try out the Singleplayer Mode rather than the Multiplayer he played. I will tell you if I think it's slow in SP, but I never played the Multiplayer Booth.

That sounds awesome. Are there any gameplay videos online?
Not yet, and I was begging for them to just put up their demo as a playthrough video somewhere. It's polished and everything :D Load up Dxtory, capture that footage, upload to youtube, voila! They started development in March of 2014, and this will be quite a ways away. I joked like KRZ this will be coming out fully in 2016. They haven't even chatted with much press yet. For now, just keep it on the back of your mind if you're into those stuff I listed.

I haven't played Dead Rising 3, but I haven't felt this slow in a game that wasn't called a walking simulator :p Keep in mind, this is my feelings after waiting in line for a long time and playing only 15 minutes, so there might be some nuance I'm missing where I can speed up with grinding Infamous/Jet Set Radio-style.

SKINNER!

Banned
Best in Show: Gang Beasts.

Hands down. Final answer.

Most entertaining, out of control, fun, hilarious,carnage multiplayer game since Worms Armageddon.

I was the first person to ask a Q at the Volume Q&A, and Mike Bithell gave a great answer to my silly questions about Thief references or the moderately better "press X to kill" violence versus stealth games one. Very enlightening answer about stealth game mechanics that are less used because of the easier path.

www.twitch.tv/egx/c/5193343?t=15m08s

He's super cool. Hope the best for his game.

Hell no. I go now cause it's nearby and I get to hang out with my friends, I'm not trekking up to Birmingham to pine at 2hr queues all day.

Mideon

I would go for all 4 days if they move to Birmingham. I have been for the last 3 years in London and think it's time to give us northerners a little bit of an easier time on getting to and from the show.

Top Bottom