• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eidos Montreal Aiming To Expand To 680 Employees By 2015

Smiles and Cries said:
How come the company is not named Square Enix Eidos? too long?
KuGsj.gif

Haha! :D

Interfectum

Derrick01 said:
The next Deus Ex needs to be even bigger and better than HR.

Careful.

With bigger and better comes streamlined and accessible. The more money they put into Deus Ex, the more money they will expect out of it.

I say keep the budget reasonable and focus on making a hardcore gaming experience. I don't care if the graphics aren't AAA or they didn't hire hollywood voice talent as long as the core gameplay is there.

Derrick01

Banned
Interfectum said:
Careful.

With bigger and better comes streamlined and accessible. The more money they put into Deus Ex, the more money they will expect out of it.

I say keep the budget reasonable and focus on making a hardcore gaming experience. I don't care if the graphics aren't AAA or they didn't hire hollywood voice talent as long as the core gameplay is there.

It wouldn't be better if it was streamlined and more accessible :p

I was talking a longer game with even better level design. There were multiple ways for almost everything but I thought everything was relatively easy to find and explore compared to the first game. They need to do a better job with that next time.

Graphics can stay the same as long as that art style stays, I thought it looked great at times.

Moofers

What they didn't tell you is that the Montreal team had to double so that they would no longer need to borrow people from the full-time Assassin's Creed team which will make those games for the rest of eternity.

dankir

LCfiner said:
I know!

I should update my CV, lol

Eidos Montreal is right near my boxing gym too. I think I'm going to pass by and ask if I can give all the Deux EX people hi fives or something lol.

Gomu Gomu

When are they going to post the new available jobs online?
edit: Also, people expecting their games to be double the quality just because they are double the number couldn't be more wrong.

Is Thief 4 the same team as Deus Ex? I mean, it's Eidos Montreal, but there are quotes like this:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-27-thief-4-development-supersedes-deus-ex said:
Jacques-Belletete revealed how both teams are "entirely separate" and that he'll have "no role at all" on Thief 4.

Maybe I'm underestimating how large the place is from the Making Of. Hopefully this means Thief 4 and Deus Ex 4 aren't too distant; from now and each other.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Personally, I wish that SE would spend the money on doubling one of their Japanese divisions... then hopefully use the extra manpower to speed up their development times.

Hari Seldon

The team that did Deus Ex is doing Thief 4 eh? That is some nice synergy. Deus Ex HR is fucking outstanding, this studio is awesome.

Hari Seldon said:
The team that did Deus Ex is doing Thief 4 eh? That is some nice synergy. Deus Ex HR is fucking outstanding, this studio is awesome.

And the two games will undoubtedly be similar as a result. Not that I'm complaining! I think a DE:HR style stealth game set in a medieval-fantasy world will be just fantastic.

Hari Seldon said:

Same studio, but not the same team, at least until like a couple of months ago that some of the staff moved to Thief 4 after completing Human Revolution.

Also Thief 4 uses the Unreal Engine 3.

DaBuddaDa

Hari Seldon said:
They're the same team in the sense that the people who made Starcraft II and the people who are making Diablo III are both "made by Blizzard." So no, they're not really at all the same team, just the same company in the same location.

Reveirg

Some more details for those who don't understand french:

-Square Enix negociated with the provinces of Quebec, Ontario and BC for a new studio, but decided to make their unique canadian studio bigger instead.

-Eidos Montreal will gradually go from 330 employees (as of now) to around 430 in 2012, to 680, in 2015.

-Negociations are actually not complete, which is probably why S-E has refused to confirm the news. A formal announcement should be made in the few coming weeks.

-The new hirings will benifit from 37,5% tax cuts and the studio gets a 2 million dollars subvention.

-The studio will continue to work in majority on AAA titles.

(and it feels weird passing by that studio every day when going to work XD)

Dyno

Good stuff! Deus Ex HR is turning out to be a fun ride. I hope they are emboldened to continue making games of this style.

Zenith

Banned
clip said:
350 more people? Hiring more people is not going to make better games.

Actually it means they could have had enough extra manhours to have made Montreal a full hub in DEHR. Not hard to imagine.

Dennis

Banned
You can never have too much staff.

We need warms bodies making those assets for non-linear open-world sandbox games - the future of AAA gaming aka The Holy Grail of Gaming.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I really need to buy Deux Ex this weekend, got 3 days without work, so i should have enough time to try it.

Luigi87

Dammit, dammit, dammit =(

I mean, this is is very good news for them, I was just hoping they'd be opening a new studio in Toronto.

...*sigh* My copy of DX:HR:AE is in my house, but it shall be a Christmas gift for me..

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Sick nasty. I'm mad impressed with what Eidos Montreal is capable of. Can't wait to see what they do next.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Eidos Montreal is planning quite the expansion.

VG247 said:
Report – Eidos Montreal to create 350 new jobs by 2015

Eidos Montreal is to increase the total number of staff it has on its books by 350 people within three years, Canadian site La Presse Affaires is reporting.

It claims that the studio will create 100 jobs by the end of next year, with the remaining 250 jobs in place by 2015, making the total headcount 680 staff by then. If this were to be the case, it would be the third biggest studio in the city, behind Ubisoft Montreal and EA Montreal.

No date’s been set for the announce, the site said.

Parent company Square Enix had been negotiating a deal as of the start of the year with the Ontario and British Columbia governments over creating a new studio instead according to the report, but picked to remain in Montreal after being consulted on the matter.

Square wouldn’t comment on the deal when asked by La Presse.

Eidos Montreal, founded in 2007, released last week Deus Ex: Human Revolution, with two fellow projects in development: an unannounced new IP and Thief 4, development of which is thought to be ramping up as of April.
Source: http://www.vg247.com/2011/09/01/report-eidos-montreal-to-increase-total-headcount-by-2015/

According to general manager Stephane D'Astous, the studio currently has around 340 employees spread across three AAA development teams, their technology development center, and their QA department.

Stephane D'Astous said:
after building, in just over 4 years, a world-class video game studio completely from scratch (+340 staff and counting, including 3dev teams for major AAA games, top-notch environment office and technology, etc)
Source: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/vie...2_*2_*2_*2_*2&pvs=ps&trk=pp_profile_name_link

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Luigi87 said:
Dammit, dammit, dammit =(

I mean, this is is very good news for them, I was just hoping they'd be opening a new studio in Toronto.

...*sigh* My copy of DX:HR:AE is in my house, but it shall be a Christmas gift for me..
Don't count on anything happening anywhere else in Canada.

Hopefully Square Enix can start doing this back in Japan too - the 'Assassins Creed II' model of having massive teams churning out a game every year or two is one that I want to see in the Final Fantasy series.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The_Darkest_Red said:
After HR I'll probably buy anything that this studio puts out until they give me a reason not to.
I agree with this sentiment. I'm loving it, and I'm instantly at least intrigued by any other projects they do.

raphier

Banned
Not a good move in my opinion. Big units require big responsibilities and good management teams. Corporate people managing are usually the ones qualified to manage these types of teams, but guess what happens to innovation.

diffusionx

Gold Member
This is what happens when you have a government interested in attracting high-tech, high-paying jobs to your area. When you don't, you have... the USA.

Top Bottom