• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eidos Montreal Aiming To Expand To 680 Employees By 2015

Kifimbo

Back in March, Square Enix wanted to open a new studio in Canada. Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver were considered.

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424536

This morning, the same newspaper reveals Square Enix has chosen Montreal. But it's not gonna be a "new studio". Instead, they decided to double Eidos Montreal's size. About 350 new people will be hired in the coming years. Not only will Square Enix benefit from the usual tax credits, but they'll also receive a $2 million subsidy.

Source (French): http://lapresseaffaires.cyberpresse...jeu-video-350-nouveaux-emplois-chez-eidos.php

Lock if old.

Mod Edit:

Specific sizes:

Eidos Montreal is planning quite the expansion.

VG247 said:
Report – Eidos Montreal to create 350 new jobs by 2015

Eidos Montreal is to increase the total number of staff it has on its books by 350 people within three years, Canadian site La Presse Affaires is reporting.

It claims that the studio will create 100 jobs by the end of next year, with the remaining 250 jobs in place by 2015, making the total headcount 680 staff by then. If this were to be the case, it would be the third biggest studio in the city, behind Ubisoft Montreal and EA Montreal.

No date’s been set for the announce, the site said.

Parent company Square Enix had been negotiating a deal as of the start of the year with the Ontario and British Columbia governments over creating a new studio instead according to the report, but picked to remain in Montreal after being consulted on the matter.

Square wouldn’t comment on the deal when asked by La Presse.

Eidos Montreal, founded in 2007, released last week Deus Ex: Human Revolution, with two fellow projects in development: an unannounced new IP and Thief 4, development of which is thought to be ramping up as of April.
Source: http://www.vg247.com/2011/09/01/report-eidos-montreal-to-increase-total-headcount-by-2015/

According to general manager Stephane D'Astous, the studio currently has around 340 employees spread across three AAA development teams, their technology development center, and their QA department.

Stephane D'Astous said:
after building, in just over 4 years, a world-class video game studio completely from scratch (+340 staff and counting, including 3dev teams for major AAA games, top-notch environment office and technology, etc)
Source: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/vie...2_*2_*2_*2_*2&pvs=ps&trk=pp_profile_name_link

ced

Sweet, next Deus Ex to be twice as awesome as HR. Maybe we will get Thief quicker as well.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I guess the Ontario Government's media creation and entertainment ads aren't working as well as they had hoped.

Kifimbo

Lyphen said:
I guess the Ontario Government's media creation and entertainment ads aren't working as well as they had hoped.

I guess it made for sense to build on a strong foundation rather than start something new.

Good news. Is this the same team that's working on Thief 4?

Yes.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Meisadragon said:
Good news. Is this the same team that's working on Thief 4?

Yes.

soultron

Banned
I've seen a tonne of Eidos Montreal job postings lately, so this makes sense. Things are about to get busy over there!

Lakitu

st5fu
Eidos Montreal are awesome, I love love Deus Ex: HR (so much that I used the word love two times). This is good news.

I'm glad these guys are doing well. Even happier that more job opportunities are opening for people in the industry at a great studio.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hopefully their success with Deus Ex allows them to pour even more love into Thief 4. I have very high hopes for that one.

Here's hoping DXHR sells well enough to justify this increase in studio size. They deserve it!

Chris_C

Between Eidos and Ubisoft, would it be fair to say about 2/3rds of Montreal's population is made up of game developers?

Derrick01

Banned
Seems like HR's selling pretty well.

I hope they hire some pretty talented people. The next Deus Ex needs to be even bigger and better than HR.

duckroll

clip said:
350 more people? Hiring more people is not going to make better games.

No, but it will make more games. It seems that instead of opening a whole new studio in the same area (which they were going to anyway), they simply decided to expand the existing studio itself.

I guess Eidos Montreal is really looking to compete directly with Ubisoft Montreal in the years to come.

Pat

Marvelous! Montreal is really becoming big in the industry.

DE:HR have some great stealth mechanics. Couldn't be more interesting for Thief 4.

Derrick01

Banned
Metalic said:
Actually yes it can, it would mean the ease of the workload and tasks will finish quicker.

It all depends on their leadership and after HR it seems like the higher ups in the studio know what the hell they're doing. I'm hoping this will only help them.

Takuan

Montreal game studios are probably the best to work for, if only for the after-work party/stripjoint options. Easily accessible gorgeous women makes for happy, motivated workers.

Kifimbo

duckroll said:
Wait, so Eidos Montreal is going to have 700 employees in the next year or two? Wtf?

Around 2015.

I guess Eidos Montreal is really looking to compete directly with Ubisoft Montreal in the years to come.

Ubisoft Montreal will still be much bigger.

duckroll

Metalic said:
Actually yes it can, it would mean the ease of the workload and tasks will finish quicker.

Not necessarily. Their intention here doesn't seem to be hiring more to make better games (DXHR turned out fine as it is) but rather hiring more to make more games. As long as the people they hire are of a high standard, that would mean more potentially good games.

Derrick01 said:
It all depends on their leadership and after HR it seems like the higher ups in the studio know what the hell they're doing. I'm hoping this will only help them.

duckroll said:
Not necessarily. Their intention here doesn't seem to be hiring more to make better games (DXHR turned out fine as it is) but rather hiring more to make more games. As long as the people they hire are of a high standard, that would mean more potentially good games.

That is why I said it "can" not it "Will" :)

How come the company is not named Square Enix Eidos? too long?
KuGsj.gif

duckroll

Kifimbo said:
Around 2015.

Ah, that's not so bad. A gradual ramp up generally works out much better.

Ubisoft Montreal will still be much bigger.

Eidos and THQ will continue to cannibalize their staff in the next 5-10 years though. It's going to be interesting.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Derrick01 said:
The next Deus Ex needs to be even bigger and better than HR.

If they give me something as good as HR, I will be very satisfied. I just hope the game sells very well - if it doesn't, people might consider the sales numbers as a verdict on the type of multi-faceted gameplay that HR does so well.

Top Bottom