• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma: “No one explicitly said that that was Link.”

Wazzy

Banned
The character doesn't look too different from other Link styles to me, so I didn't even think "Hey, wait, that's a girl..." but maybe I've been programmed to consider anyone who looks remotely like Link to be a guy. And it's kind of sad that without super obvious feminine visual cues that I'm like, nah, it's still gonna be a guy.

I want to be so wrong though.

Girllllllll embrace it. We're finally going to get a female lead in Zelda! :D

But yeah I like the design even more if it's a girl because it means we don't have to have an overly feminine character(not that theres anything wrong with one) to be the lead.

I really don't think the creators would risk this because I'm sure they know there would be a huge backlash if it's just Link

TunaLover

Looking at the head proportion, and stretched shoulders makes it looks like a female character. Otherwise it could look off for a male character.

potam

Banned
What if...we find out that there is only one gender in Hyrule?

asdfjaldkjsf;lafkjq0o9ifjqpo;limfjq;lwngq;oligjp

MikeDown

Banned
Or what if Link suddenly dies in this reincarnation, and the protagonist picks up his role and such. That would be nifty, also would be neat twist if it was Ganon; having the plot revolve around him fighting his fate to becoming EVIL!!!

Hex

Banned
This is going to get damned tedious with the game as early on as it is.
I love the fact that a new Zelda game is on the horizon, and it looks great and I love that people are excited and we have alot of things to pick apart and speculate on but this shit makes it damned irritating to enjoy any thread about the game.

Aretak

I honestly don't see how it matters either way really. Unless Nintendo are planning to introduce full voice acting and cinematic cutscenes to the Zelda franchise, whoever it is is just going to be a (pretty much) silent blank slate either way. I'm not convinced that having slightly more feminine groans and shouts would constitute some earth-shattering new direction for the franchise. Even looking at it from the whole "equality" angle, would a mute non-character being nominally female really be some landmark moment in gaming history?

Pives

The design on the cloak (s)he takes off at the end looks like a lobster (there is a lobster on Link's shirt in WW).

TunaLover

Or what if Link suddenly dies in this reincarnation, and the protagonist picks up his role and such. That would be nifty, also would be neat twist if it was Ganon; having the plot revolve around him fighting his fate to becoming EVIL!!!

Ganon is a female character too :p

Randomizer

The ponytail is a dead giveaway that it's a girl. I mean everyone's doing it even Kojima, Snake's a girl too now!

fSMIMiC.jpg

Do people really like this?
Dunno, I never get emotionally invested in mute main charaters that are custom. I don't feel it's "ME". It's just a random thing with a sword.

A real character with personality appeals to me a lot more. Custom characters feel more disconnected to me than anything.

Neither do I, but I do think you imprint a bit of your personality on them. In some fashion, at least.

Pau

Girllllllll embrace it. We're finally going to get a female lead in Zelda! :D

But yeah I like the design even more if it's a girl because it means we don't have to have an overly feminine character(not that theres anything wrong with one) to be the lead.

I really don't think the creators would risk this because I'm sure they know there would be a huge backlash if it's just Link
But if I hope, that means I can be disappointed. :(

AppleMIX

People are getting way to ahead of themselves. We don't even have any conformation that this is even a different character.

casmith07

Do people really like this?
Dunno, I never get emotionally invested in mute main charaters that are custom. I don't feel it's "ME". It's just a random thing with a sword.

A real character with personality appeals to me a lot more. Custom characters feel more disconnected to me than anything.

A good point.

I wonder if the game has classic Link for single player and create-a-hero for online questing?

Would really be a huge shakeup.

I think the idea that the character is Zelda is a real reach.

The character in the teaser looks like a more effeminate Link, and at most, a female Link.

Doesn't really make sense to me that they'd have Zelda in that role, and then make her look almost identical to Link.

All that really supports it being Zelda is the bow, and...nah, it's a heck of a reach.

I honestly don't see how it matters either way really. Unless Nintendo are planning to introduce full voice acting and cinematic cutscenes to the Zelda franchise, whoever it is is just going to be a (pretty much) silent blank slate either way. I'm not convinced that having slightly more feminine groans and shouts would constitute some earth-shattering new direction for the franchise. Even looking at it from the whole "equality" angle, would a mute non-character being nominally female really be some landmark moment in gaming history?

Gaming history? Of course not. But throughout the Zelda series, and a lot of Nintendo franchises, women are very, very passive. Having an active one would serve to both be the shake-up Aonuma wants, and show that Nintendo is listening to the awareness campaigns.

jts

...hate me...
Die and be a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become a villain.

The Legend of Zelda: Ganondorf Origins

*Soundtrack featuring Jay-Z and Kanye West

Just kidding, that trope is played out.

DedValve

Banned
The ponytail is a dead giveaway that it's a girl. I mean everyone's doing it even Kojima, Snake's a girl too now!

Chico is Snake? Mother of pearl!

I would be down with playing a young femenine looking Ganon that's just a giant douche to everyone, breaking pots, stealing rupees, stealing treasure a--HEY WAIT A MINUTE.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
People are getting way to ahead of themselves. We don't even have any conformation that this is even a different character.

It's fun to speculate, and I'd love to play as Zelda, but it's almost certainly Link.

I hope there isn't a huge backlash when people find out it's not a playable Zelda, or other female character.

trixx

Do people think the character in the trailer will be playable?

I'm thinking he/she will only be playable in the beginning.

TriGen

This is going to get damned tedious with the game as early on as it is.
I love the fact that a new Zelda game is on the horizon, and it looks great and I love that people are excited and we have alot of things to pick apart and speculate on but this shit makes it damned irritating to enjoy any thread about the game.

Yeah, that's what I posted earlier. It really looked like a girl to me when I saw the trailer, but we won't know much of anything for a long time I bet. So none of this really means much right now, either way.

Heck, Skyward Sword had a full demo in 2010 (it released in 2011 of course), the year it was revealed, it went poorly, but it had one -- this time we just got a short trailer, so either they're not as far along at this point for Zelda U as they were before or they really have a slow roll out planned for other reasons. Either way, I don't expect Zelda U to get a full story trailer in the next ND or anything. We'll just have this to go off of for a long time unless Aonuma really gives out some details in an interview or two before he leaves E3.

People have worked themselves up so much that a non-female link will actually be considered a disappointment. This desire for a change in protagonist came out of nowhere.

-Horizon-

Do people think the character in the trailer will be playable?

I'm thinking he/she will only be playable in the beginning.

"Play three separate characters as the world falls into darkness. Watch their stories slowly intertwine and their lives impact one another."

I'd play that.

Mory Dunz

Neither do I, but I do think you imprint a bit of your personality on them. In some fashion, at least.

True.

But....hmmm
After seeing X today, I'm really excited for it, but honestly, having Shulk with his opinions and sometimes weirdness appeals to me a lot a lot than being able to fully customize a mute.

(Although it's nice I can give the protag smaller eyes and a better face so he will be the only character who doesn't look weird...)

Tacosmell

Banned
This is pretty pathetic when you think about it. People discussing the possible gender of a character. This should not even be a god damn issue.

This is BAD on who ever greenlit this character model.

Link not the main character? Sounds great! Maybe Zelda will get her due. Would be happy to see a change of pace, but I'm ultimately fine with whatever direction they take it.

SkyOdin

When I first watched that trailer, I was under the impression that it was a girl. I am still under that impression. I am also willing to believe that character will be the main character of the game.

If that is true, then they really are going all-in on breaking every convention of the series, and that is a really exciting prospect.

A-V-B

This is pretty pathetic when you think about it. People discussing the possible gender of a character. This should not even be a god damn issue.

This is BAD on who ever greenlit this character model.

Skyward Sword Link wasn't exactly an image of manliness either... dude looked kinda weird.

jts

...hate me...
Link moved on to better franchises, deal with it suckers!

He's very happy with Hyrule Warriors right now.

Top Bottom